• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/16/1971

Paul said "that if any come preaching another gospel" or if an "angel comes preaching another gospel" than what ye have heard of us let him be accursed

we are to rightly divide the word of truth so that as workmen we do not have to fear being ashamed. or led astray. one of the main reasons why all these new doctrines, and religious ceremonies are coming from is that the Christian of today has limited or no knowledge of the word of God, because they refuse to read it and learn from it when they are away from church. if we would dedicate the same amount of time to the study and meditation on the word of God as we do the television, or sports events, or other events. then there wouldn't be this continual searching for the greener grass or new saying or new sign...and i agree with the post that said "apostasy comes when our love grows cold. that is so true. before we can depart from our faith our love has to grow cold. great discussion topic

in Christ

trish

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Ok as a member of what of a new and modern church. We don't call ourselves an emergent church but we may fit that category. Let me say first and formost that I joined this church because I see it as a return to sola scriptura not a rejection of. over and over again I talk to people who join our church that say variations of the same thing. We went to church on sunday morning sat in old pews sang old songs and all that is fine but then we went home and forgot about it until next sunday. We never or rarely did local missions, all that was done by others and mostly over seas. to mee the emergent church movement is about a new way to live your faith all day eveery day not a new way to do church.

Bryan, I highlighted the section that I want to discuss. Why is it that people blame the "church" for something they personally did not do? Why did you forget about God after leaving church? Why didn't you go out and do missions in your community? Don't you realize that it takes one person to start a movement?

Too often, disgruntled people place the blame on others instead of looking within. Didn't Jesus tell us in Matthew 7:5: "Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother

As I was looking through the flier from PBS, I came across a new movie from National Geographic, called "In God's Name". The first and last line in the description are as follows.

"In God's Name explores the complex questions of our time through the intimate thoughts and beliefs of 12 of the world's most influential spiritual leaders. ... Ultimately, through the eyes of these 12 very different religious figures, the filmmakers discover the common ground among believers around the world."

This sounds like a movie created for this false belief system. Be warned ...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  51
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  04/03/1967

Hi one light I'll try to form a more thorough response later (its too nice today to be on the pc)

There is a very good reason why it

Hi one light I'll try to form a more thorough response later (its too nice today to be on the pc)

There is a very good reason why it’s difficult to pin the Emerging Church down on certain issues. Simply put, the Emerging Church is an evolving movement, a fluid conversation. It is not a denomination with an official doctrinal statement to refer to. In these kinds of conversations it’s usually helpful to differentiate Emergent, a specific group, from the larger Emerging Church conversation. Emergent is one community within the larger context of the Emerging Church…

the above is quote from that web site you posted, all I can tell you is what i've read and expereienced I've read rob bell , Brian McLaren and others and i have to tell you that many of the examples of false doctrine i've read only in articles criticizing the movement either that or are out of context one example of that another quote from the site you posted

More and more emphasis is being placed on “how can I be more successful in the ‘here and now’”, and less and less on the warnings of Scripture about the imminent return of Jesus Christ and a coming judgment in the future.

in Rob Bell's book "velvet elvis" (i can't find my copy no quotes sorry ) he basically says that the book we know as the bible was compiled by the early church as believers we should rightfully assume that those men were under the influence of the holy spirit whhen they made those decisions so therefor the utlimate authority is the holy spirit not words on a page .

I paraphrased from memory and i don't want to debate if that statement is right or wrong i'm simply saying i don't see it as an attack on the bible just a question as to whether we look at our faith in a different way.

The Emergent Church is not a church designed from scripture, when this movement is designed to unite all those who believe. In order to do this, the church would have to agree not to discuss certain parts of the bible that brings conflict. in other words, water scripture down to the point where everyone agree.

I would be more then happy to share what I have found that caused me to stand firmly against this movement, if you are willing to read it with an open mind. Have you even researched this subject matter, or have you just read only what those who agree have to say?

As far as Rob Bell goes, from his book Velvet Elvis, he stated that in the Hebrew language, the phrase "born of a virgin" also refers to "a child whose mother became pregnant the first time she had intercourse". This statement would lead people to believe that Mary was not give the seed through the Holy Spirit, as scripture states, but through intercourse. Blasphemy!

In his new book that is coming our this month, Sex God, he states that "Jesus never said anything about homosexuality". He also goes on saying that the Bible says nothing about sexual orientation. He ends with these words of advice speaking on matters as confusing as sexual identity in today's culture:

"It is thus wiser to err on the side of caution when talking about such volatile and controversial issues, especially if you are unsure what God actually says about a subject."

This information I found here on the net. from someone that I know nothing about, but who does link to another site from one who reviews Rob here, which Ben talks about both the positive and negative sides of Rob Bell.

I should also direct you to this site, where Apprising Ministries discuss Rob Bell in great depth.

Is this the man you hold so high?

Brainfromiowa, here is something you should really watch. It is about Brian McLaren

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,763
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Birthday:  11/23/1990

Personally, I don't think the emerging church idea is all bad. Putting some of the more petty things we argue about aside is not a bad idea. Because honestly, we have so many denominations, and most probably can't even remember what it is that makes their denomination unique. Another good thing I hear from the emerging church type is a willingness to just stop whining about the evolution/creation thing. God did it. If He wanted to create it literally like Genesis describes it, great. If He wanted to evolve it, who am I to say He can't? It's such a stupid thing to argue about, when the real point there is that God is in control and he was behind it.

On the other hand, I've found a lot that I don't like in the emerging church movement. There is a whole lot of "This verse is harsh, lets try to explain it away" that goes on. In Bible Studies in an emerging church setting, I hear "What are we going to do with this verse?" a lot, and of course the answer is obvious. Obey it.

Edit: Some of the above discussion is talking about sides of the emergent church that I haven't seen, even though I know many people who would probably say they support the emergent church. Things like "God loves us because we're humans so we can do whatever we want" are DEFINATELY dangerous.

I wonder why most of what we find in the internet is outdated? Here is a site from 06 that is not really pro nor con, but discusses the findings of the writer.

Emerging Church trend expands, diversifies

As they move forward, I also see some good out of this movement, but along with this bit of good, they are giving up a lot to accomplish acceptance within the communities.

I have, however, found something written today about what this writer sees from the Emergent Church.

The Emergent Church': A dangerous counterfeit

What needs to be done is to look at those who are forming this new church and understand what their reasons are behind doing so, what they are willing to do and what they are willing to give up. It is a huge study with no end in site.