Matthitjah

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Here's some early fruit from the interview that President Barack Hussein Obama had with Al Aribiya;

Quote Reuters;

Iran tells U.S. to show change in policy not tactics

TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran said on Wednesday it would welcome President Barack Obama's offer of a change in U.S. policy provided it involved a withdrawal of U.S. troops from abroad and an apology for past "crimes" against Tehran.

President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was speaking after Obama offered to extend a hand of peace if Iran "unclenched its fist."

This marked a new approach from George W. Bush, who had sought to isolate Tehran, and Western diplomats said the change in Washington could offer a "once-in-a-generation" chance for the two foes to end three decades of hostility.

But the diplomats said that, while some pragmatic voices in Iran wanted better ties with the West, more hardline voices who control key levers of power could block an opening amid fears that Washington still wants to undermine the ruling system.

"We welcome change but on condition that change is fundamental and on the right track," Ahmadinejad told a rally in western Iran, broadcast live on state television.

"When they say policy would change, it means they would end America's military presence around the world," he said, referring to U.S. troops in Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere in the world.

Ahmadinejad said any change that was merely a shift in tactics would "soon be revealed."

"Those who say they want to make change, this is the change they should make: they should apologize to the Iranian nation and try to make up for their dark background and the crimes they have committed against the Iranian nation," Ahmadinejad said.

Any decision on U.S.-Iranian dialogue will require the approval of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Iran's highest authority. He said in October that hatred of America ran deep in Iran and warned Iraqi leaders in January that U.S. governments could not be trusted.

The new U.S. administration has said Obama would break from his predecessor by pursuing direct talks with Tehran but has also warned Iran to expect more pressure if it did not meet the U.N. Security Council demand to halt its disputed nuclear work.

"GO TO HELL" BUSH

Washington and its Western allies accuse Iran of seeking to build nuclear weapons. Tehran denies the charge and refuses to give up work it insists is its sovereign right.

The Iranian president listed a range of "crimes" such as trying to block what Tehran says is a peaceful nuclear power generation program, hindering Iran's development since the 1979 revolution and other actions by several administrations for more than 60 years.

Ahmadinejad had harsh words for Obama's predecessor: "Mr Bush has gone into the trash can of history with a very black and shameful file full of treachery and killings."

"He left and, God willing, he will go to hell," he added.

A Western diplomat said Obama's election offered "a once in a generation opportunity" for a new start in relations between Tehran and Washington, which were cut after students seized the U.S. embassy in Tehran following the 1979 revolution.

"They will never get a new U.S. president who is as balanced as Obama's public statements are, who talks about wanting to engage in a respectful way with Iran and who seems less encumbered by the baggage of the past," the diplomat said.

"To me it is in Iran's clear interest to engage," he said, although he added there was a risk hardliners clinging to a "we're-winning-you're-losing rhetoric" may prevail.

Some ordinary Iranians, many of whom are tired isolation, voiced hopes that Obama's presidency would herald a new era but also said Tehran should tread cautiously.

"A golden opportunity is presenting itself, which will not always happen," said university student Negar Yazdani, 27, but added: "I believe the offer must be viewed with wisdom."

Mahmoud Abbasi, a 48-year-old taxi driver also speaking in the Iranian capital, was more hesitant. "We should not rush and accept direct talks without a plan and precaution," he said.

Iranian opposition politician Ebrahim Yazdi said he did not expect movement on the issue of U.S. relations before Iran's June vote, when Ahmadinejad is expected to seek re-election.

But he said better ties were in Iran's strategic and economic interest, adding: "The political atmosphere in Iran is now ripe, is suitable for direct negotiation with the United States."

(Additional reporting by Hossein Jaseb and Fredrik Dahl, writing by Edmund Blair; Editing by Samia Nakhoul)

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idU...=22&sp=true

:thumbsup:

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  38
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Good luck with that.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

So much for dialogue

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

To be fair, any diplomatic effort takes time to bear fruit. Initial responses and bluster are not always a good indication of what is going on. An example would be the Cuban missle crisis. Kruschev publically responded to kennedy's overtures with bluster, but came around behind the scenes. i realize this is a different time and different culture. But time will tell.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Grace to you,

The problem with stating that this isn't a reaction to the interview or policy is that Achminejarhead actually references the interview itself in his maniacal rant. :thumbsup:

Whether he was addressing the radicals or not, once again, the radicals take it a sign of weakness and seek to take advantage of it. :noidea:

Peace,

Dave

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Well -

Obama gave the "if Iran unclenched its fist" condition. Which Ahmadinejad did not give even a not to.

Prayerfully, Obama will stick to this "if" condition.

But I see your point in posting this, Dave. Ahmadinejad sees Obama's appeal for peace as an act of weakness and is milking it for all it is worth to his people.

All I can say is that you and I have learned different things about Islam.

From Muslims, former Muslims, people who have studied Islam.

I get you.

This is where I say no.

And then you say you have.

So let me just ask which faction of Muslims you integrated with?

..... Muslims, former Muslims, people who have studied Islam.

any personal experience living among large numbers of them?

Turkey, 1961- 1962

Death And Slavery Is The Way Of Submission

But he that sinneth against me wrongeth his own soul: all they that hate me love death.

Proverbs 8:36

For Islam Mocks The LORD Jesus Christ, God's Only Begotten SON

Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

John 11:25

And His Holy Blood Shed For The Remission Of Sins

And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,

Revelation 1:5

And Demands Unbelief

Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.

Hebrews 3:12

In Jesus

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:16

>>>>>()<<<<<

Don't Dance With The Devil Brother

Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

2 Corinthians 6:14

He Bits!

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

1 Peter 5:8