IGNORED

Jewish

Guest Shilo

Guest Shilo

How did the Jews get to be called Jews when they were called the Israelites?

Where did the Jewish name come from?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  557
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/21/1976

YeHuDaH, Judah, Jews is slang for Judah, the tribe of Judah.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

I think it cam from the split between isreal and judeah. Jews are people of the land judeah.

I don't think judeah is the correct spelling please correct me if you wish?

All Praise The Ancient of Days

Guest Shilo

Thank you I was wondering how and I just could not put my finger on it....course it makes sense.....

'

:wub: :hug: :huh:;)

• Group:  Soapbox - Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Content Count:  962
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/11/1932

Allforjesus is correct. A

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  2,802
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/01/1945

Greetings All,

It is the New Testament that gives us the best understanding of the meaning of the word "Jew".

Let's look at:

Romans 11:26-27 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: 27 For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

compare:

Daniel 9:7 O Lord, righteousness belongeth unto thee, but unto us confusion of faces, as at this day; to the men of Judah, and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and unto all Israel, that are near, and that are far off, through all the countries whither thou hast driven them, because of their trespass that they have trespassed against thee.

Daniel 9:11 Yea, all Israel have transgressed thy law, even by departing, that they might not obey thy voice; therefore the curse is poured upon us, and the oath that is written in the law of Moses the servant of God, because we have sinned against him.

Daniel 9:20 And whiles I was speaking, and praying, and confessing my sin and the sin of my people Israel, and presenting my supplication before the LORD my God for the holy mountain of my God;

Daniel 9:24 Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.

Jacob and Israel are used synonymously in the NT, and the word "Jews" refer consistently to those "of Israel". But a "true Jew" (a natural Jew) is not only "born of the line of Jacob", but also has the "heart" of their grandfather Abraham - a Hebrew, which was a "gentile".

Romans 2:28-29 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: 29 But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

Romans 4:9 Cometh this blessedness then upon the circumcision only, or upon the uncircumcision also? for we say that faith was reckoned to Abraham for righteousness.

Romans 4:12 And the father of circumcision to them who are not of the circumcision only, but who also walk in the steps of that faith of our father Abraham, which he had being yet uncircumcised.

Romans 4:13 For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith.

Romans 4:16 Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all,

Galatians 3:7-9 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham. 8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed. 9 So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.

Galatians 3:14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

-_-

The answer to your question depends on who is asking....and who is using the term.

In the New Testament, the word "Jew" is used to refer to anyone of the lineage of Abraham who was also a son of Isaac and Jacob (Israel) or any stranger who had converted by circumcision or marriage (in the case of women)

Although the nation was called Israel in the time of the Romans, all that was left was the southern kingdom (which was previously known as Judah) after the Assyrians conquored the nothern kingdom (Israel) around 700 BC

The word "jew" is short for "judeans"

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Just to add for clarity, the Southern Kingdom consisted of the tribes of Judah, Benjamin, and some of the Levites.

The Northern Kingdom consisted of the other tribes + the rest of the Levites. When they were conquored by Assyria and taken into captivity, as I understand it, they never returned - correct? - and thus are now known as "the 10 missing tribes."

While it is true that the 10 tribes of the north disappeared, there certainly must have been some of the members of those tribes who chose to live in the southern kingdom, ya know?

So there were probably "some" of all 12 tribes living in Judea though most would have been Levi, Judah, and Benjamin.

Very small distinction but it seemed worth mentioning...