• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

If so which one? I'm thinking about joining a Judo or Akikido class.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/19/1960

If so which one? I'm thinking about joining a Judo or Akikido class.

I have a black belt in ITF TaeKwon-Do (Korean/General Choi).

Nice! How do you like it? I think Taekwon-do is mostly footwork right? I think so high kicks are pretty amazing..!

• Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

Well, I tried to do karate... but all the yelling and screaming upset me... :emot-hug:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  806
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  10/21/1973

I learned Wing Chun Kung Fu from a Christian friend.

Search it on Google or YouTube to see it in action. Works well for both genders/all ages.

Nice! How do you like it? I think Taekwon-do is mostly footwork right? I think so high kicks are pretty amazing..!

TKD is known for its kicks, jumps, etc., but we also equally learn many hand techniques (3000 various moves, more than any other art). WTF is the Olympic sport and is more sparring. ITF is the original military application and emphasizes self-defense, scientific techniques, character (but no Eastern religious philosophy we might have a problem with), etc.

It is good for discipline, confidence, self-defense, etc. It depends on the quality of the school and instructor (some are not very good).

My instructor has trained in many disciplines. He became convinced that TKD is the best overall for a variety of reasons (scientific more than artsy).

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  326
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

If you read up on the history of martial arts - they apparently originally stemmed from a buddhist monestry many centuries ago, before mainland china was buddhist and the monks needed to defend themselves in times of turmoil. They got the movements from spirit forces. The martial arts have a spiritual as well as a physical side. For example akido uses a particular 'energy force' which they channel to 'heal'. (I know because I took a couple of lessons from a western school for the idea of self defense.) I've forgotten the name of it (I think 'kei??? energy'). I've known a christian who saw nothing wrong with channeling and using it. He was genuine too.

The spiritual realm is very real - and I remember when doing judo as a kid, that you bowed to the sensay (master/teacher.) Are you also bowing to the spiritual forces behind it? I don't know. All I know is that I think it's something you have to be very, very careful about as a christian. A lot of christians won't have anything to do with the entire thing. I think it's really worth looking into and praying about carefully, because you don't want to get tripped up by something that looks harmless and isn't. (Like yoga and kieneselogy) (spirit channelling and divination, though obviously never marketed as such.)

Edited by yesult

I agree that we need discernment and wisdom. Some arts are steeped in spirituality that is opposed to Christianity.

If you read up on the history of martial arts - they apparently originally stemmed from a buddhist monestry many centuries ago, before mainland china was buddhist and the monks needed to defend themselves in times of turmoil. They got the movements from spirit forces. The martial arts have a spiritual as well as a physical side. For example akido uses a particular 'energy force' which they channel to 'heal'. (I know because I took a couple of lessons from a western school for the idea of self defense.) I've forgotten the name of it (I think 'kei??? energy'). I've known a christian who saw nothing wrong with channeling and using it. He was genuine too.

The spiritual realm is very real - and I remember when doing judo as a kid, that you bowed to the sensay (master/teacher.) Are you also bowing to the spiritual forces behind it? I don't know. All I know is that I think it's something you have to be very, very careful about as a christian. A lot of christians won't have anything to do with the entire thing. I think it's really worth looking into and praying about carefully, because you don't want to get tripped up by something that looks harmless and isn't. (Like yoga and kieneselogy) (spirit channelling and divination, though obviously never marketed as such.)

Well yeah that's the man reason why I started this topic aside from seeing who is practicing martial arts here. Kei energy is something I don't' believe in. I think it's a bunch of fertilizer but when I heard those mythic legends of the Shaolin Temple Monks jumping meters in the air and preforming feats unbelievable of physical skill I definitely think there was spiritual influence behind it. I'm referring to the legends here not modern day Shaolin.

Regarding Aikido healing practices, I knew about this from my research. It threw me off when I heard about it because I never thought they would have done such a thing in a martial art. I was only interested in Aikido because their skill appear more gentle than other martial arts and as a bonus they have sword training!

I dont believe "bowing" has anything to do with bowing to spiritual forces, it's simply a sign of respect to the teacher (master of the Dojo). We do the same bowing in my country as a sign of respect to our elders, its mostly done when we serve food and such. However in Eastern Orthodoxy (which is where I was originally from) pracitices bowing once you enter the church 3 times to show a sign of respect for God's presence. So we will see if they require such a thing to be done at the Dojo and I will object if necessary.

So you praciticed Judo and Aikido according to your past? Is this true? Did you have any classes regarding "kei" how did you get past them?

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

why not go out for Ballet? same moves, same jumps, no contact, no eastern religious stuff involved.

mike