Feeling Foolish

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  33
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

:laugh: So last night I went to bible study. We have been doing a study on what would you change in your life if you only had 30 days to live. The first question that was asked was: " Share with the group one interesting fact about you that nobody else knows." I thought the question was more geared to getting to know each other better. So I say " I have lived in 7 different western states." Well apparently the question was more geared towards a secret that we need to confess. Several people confessed things and we prayed for them. Well I was embarassed and feel like a fool. Several times I have been in bible study and my answers to the questions have been gently ridiculed. I do not think that anyone takes me seriously. Like I could never amount to anything in my Christian walk. I know that the Lord loves me and maybe he is chastising me as well. I feel like I should stop going to bible study and stay home and go over the studies that I have all ready gone to so I can be stronger in my walk. I really just want to be a loving example of Christ to the world. I was thinking of using the time that I would normally be in bible study to do a friendly visitor program at a nursing home instead. I am a little bit sad and confused today. I don't know why I often come out looking like a fool.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  9

Grace,

Do NOT stop going to Bible Study - you answered the question that was asked - that is an interesting fact.... I am also very literal and tend to answer precisely what was asked. Do not let this affect your walk with the Lord. He loves you and you only have to live for Him and please Him - not your study group. Do not let anyone make you feel badly.... as long as you Love the Lord. I think you'll do just fine. Blessings to you!!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  168
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  03/11/1975

:laugh: So last night I went to bible study. We have been doing a study on what would you change in your life if you only had 30 days to live. The first question that was asked was: " Share with the group one interesting fact about you that nobody else knows." I thought the question was more geared to getting to know each other better. So I say " I have lived in 7 different western states." Well apparently the question was more geared towards a secret that we need to confess. Several people confessed things and we prayed for them. Well I was embarassed and feel like a fool. Several times I have been in bible study and my answers to the questions have been gently ridiculed. I do not think that anyone takes me seriously. Like I could never amount to anything in my Christian walk. I know that the Lord loves me and maybe he is chastising me as well. I feel like I should stop going to bible study and stay home and go over the studies that I have all ready gone to so I can be stronger in my walk. I really just want to be a loving example of Christ to the world. I was thinking of using the time that I would normally be in bible study to do a friendly visitor program at a nursing home instead. I am a little bit sad and confused today. I don't know why I often come out looking like a fool.

Maybe you should chat with your study leader if something is bothering you. You shouldn't stop studying the bible with haveing someone you can ask questions to. I do think that your visitor program at a nursing home and wanting to be a loving example says to me that you are growing in your walk. I pray that you are a loving example and that your program is started.

Many blessings and much love, brothaman

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

:thumbsup: So last night I went to bible study. We have been doing a study on what would you change in your life if you only had 30 days to live. The first question that was asked was: " Share with the group one interesting fact about you that nobody else knows." I thought the question was more geared to getting to know each other better. So I say " I have lived in 7 different western states." Well apparently the question was more geared towards a secret that we need to confess. Several people confessed things and we prayed for them. Well I was embarassed and feel like a fool. Several times I have been in bible study and my answers to the questions have been gently ridiculed. I do not think that anyone takes me seriously. Like I could never amount to anything in my Christian walk. I know that the Lord loves me and maybe he is chastising me as well. I feel like I should stop going to bible study and stay home and go over the studies that I have all ready gone to so I can be stronger in my walk. I really just want to be a loving example of Christ to the world. I was thinking of using the time that I would normally be in bible study to do a friendly visitor program at a nursing home instead. I am a little bit sad and confused today. I don't know why I often come out looking like a fool.

This is right up my alley. Many times I feel like I've said something foolish, or my bible study was incomplete, or that I went in a completly different direction (!). There's one person in particular that I converse with that has tons of insights and knowledge, and I sometimes come away from our conversations feeling dumb. I was corrected by them to say, less experienced. However, I've never been "gently ridiculed." We all have strengths and weaknesses. ALL of us. And quite frankly, no one should have ridiculed you in any way shape or form. Ever. If they do that, then shame on them. You have just as much to offer them as they do you. Always remember that. You have the same Holy Spirit within you.

Sometimes, we have to be patient with ourselves. Learning and growin in our walk isn't an overnight thing. Give it some time, and dont be too hard on yourself. As long as you are seriously studying the word, and applying yourself, then you're learning and growing. That's nothing to be ashamed of, and absolutely nothing to feel foolish over.

:laugh:

Thank you all so much for your kind words. I feel so much better. Being reminded of the love of the Lord and that the Holy Spirit dwells in me has given me strength. I will continue to build my faith on the Word of the Lord. When I say something foolish, and I am sure I will, I will remember that this is the way the Lord has made me and that I am learning and to have patience with myself. Thanks again.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  913
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/02/1969

I think all of us has felt or thought we said foolish things at one time or another, and for me alot of times I have!!!!! :o

But I realized alot of times I saw myself as foolish, others were'nt looking at me like that, that's how I saw myself.

It reminds me of the story in Genesis where Moses sent the twelve spies into the land of Canaan to check out the land and inhabitants, and all of the spies except for Joshua and Caleb came back with bad reports. Those ten spies talked about the giants in the land and reported "We were as grasshoppers in their sight.."

point #1 how do they know how the giants viewed them, they were spying/hiding

point #2 thats how the spies saw themselves

That being said I realized I had poor self esteem, but even more than that I had poor God esteem. I am a daughter of the King of Kings and I needed to see my self as God sees me. As I am in the natural I am silly, sinful, and foolish, but when I look through Daddy colored glasses I see a child of the Living God.

I think all of us has felt or thought we said foolish things at one time or another, and for me alot of times I have!!!!! :)

But I realized alot of times I saw myself as foolish, others were'nt looking at me like that, that's how I saw myself.

It reminds me of the story in Genesis where Moses sent the twelve spies into the land of Canaan to check out the land and inhabitants, and all of the spies except for Joshua and Caleb came back with bad reports. Those ten spies talked about the giants in the land and reported "We were as grasshoppers in their sight.."

point #1 how do they know how the giants viewed them, they were spying/hiding

point #2 thats how the spies saw themselves

That being said I realized I had poor self esteem, but even more than that I had poor God esteem. I am a daughter of the King of Kings and I needed to see my self as God sees me. As I am in the natural I am silly, sinful, and foolish, but when I look through Daddy colored glasses I see a child of the Living God.

Amen Sister!! :o

Although I totally understand what you are saying and believe that in part it is true (no one told me I was foolish.) What I was told was that I answered the question incorrectly. The exact words were "That is not what they are asking for. It has to be something that is a secret, something that nobody knows." So my answer in the light of this statement does in fact look foolish.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  913
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/02/1969

I see by your op that they didn't specifically ask for a secret, just a fact about yourself they didn't know, you answered them, if they wanted something else they should have specified.

And IMO you don't go around telling just anybody your "secrets". It may have been a very good thing that you misunderstood their question in light of the way they make you feel.

Although I totally understand what you are saying and believe that in part it is true (no one told me I was foolish.) What I was told was that I answered the question incorrectly. The exact words were "That is not what they are asking for. It has to be something that is a secret, something that nobody knows." So my answer in the light of this statement does in fact look foolish.

hi Gift (please remember that is what you are: a precious Gift to the Father from Jesus!)

"foolish" is a rather subjective word, don't you think? it may have seemed foolish to them (and you), but i don't think it was. did anyone in your group know you had lived in 7 different western states? i'm guessing not, so it was something nobody else there knew. did the question say a "secret" thing? no. so why would you think it had to be? i wouldn't have.

and "gently ridiculed" is rather like an oxymoron, methinks. ridicule and gentlness come from opposite ends of the spectrum!

the many times i've been in a situation like this, i try to imagine Jesus sitting there, and i think of how He would have responded. it tends to help me. so if i may... i'd like to visualize for you what might have happened had He physically been sitting in your group.

when you answer the question, Jesus says something like, "wow! you've lived in a lot of places. you've probably seen some wonderful things." then He asks some questions about it and draws from you the real question He wants answered. like, "is there anything that has happened that you longed to tell someone, but never felt safe enough to do so?"

we don't share deep things, Gift of Grace, until we feel safe. so maybe, instead of a "foolish" answer, you gave a very wise one! i agree that talking to your Bible study leader would be a good start. but please don't run away! i'm thinking that that doesn't solve too many of our problems. running, or quitting, is sometimes the easy way out short term, but it's not worth it in the long run. *tiny pun*

i like your heart and your goals!

char

:o

Thanks Char,

I know that Jesus was there but it would have been great for Him to be sitting in that room. I will try to think what he would say the next time I am in a similar situation.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Content Count:  1,066
  • Birthday:  02/02/1961

Hey,

You're not alone in feeling foolish in a group setting. I do that all the time everywhere I go. Even when I'm alone, I feel like the dumbest person in the room..

Just remember that G-d made you in HIS image. That fact alone proves that you aren't foolish or dumb. :o

a.