Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

That's a thought - why can't they use drugs, like 'truth serums' or is that ineffective? Just wondering.

That's a good question....we need a good answer.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Gator - I really am trying to evaluate things objectively, so I would truly appreciate if you would respond the same with this, OK?

...but she does a good job of showing that torture is not all that effective.

Going back to the specifics of the OP ... because this dancing around principles I believe is getting muddied ...

From what I have heard, the interrogations they performed did work - i.e. they prevented a planned attack against the Brooklyn Bridge and against something in one of the major southern CA cities (I forget which one)

My problem with torture has nothing to do with the terrorist, it has to do with US as a country, and the morals and standards we hold dear.

The idea that torture will save a "bus load of children" is taken from TV and it total bunk. It is a nice little story people tell themselves to justify the unjustifiable.

What methods would you use to obtain information from the terrorists?

From what I heard "the standard handbook" methods weren't working, which is why they utilized harsher methods.

As far as the methods that were used, they weren't cutting off fingers, forcing conversions, chopping off heads (things "the other side" is doing - or at least the latter two). I don't bring that up to say, "See, we are better than them," but because I'm trying to understand why you believe water boarding is "being like them." What makes water boarding unjustifiable in your eyes?

My problem with torture has nothing to do with the terrorist, it has to do with US as a country, and the morals and standards we hold dear.

life? liberty?

Preventing the mass slaughter of American civilians at the hands of fanatical terrorists seems to be quite in line with the standards we hold dear

Morality is a social standard. If asked, there is no doubt that an overwhelming majority of Americans (and Canadians) would agree with the statement:

"It is morally permissable to waterboard an Al Queda operative (or other terrorist group) to prevent another mass murder of civilians"

The idea that torture will save a "bus load of children" is taken from TV and it total bunk. It is a nice little story people tell themselves to justify the unjustifiable.

Then your arguement is with Obama

From the OP:

WASHINGTON

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

He stated a few pages ago that he supports waterboarding.

Oh -right.

See . . . I'm getting confused by all these diversions.

So - which interrogation methods were utilized that are considered a problem? :rolleyes:

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

He stated a few pages ago that he supports waterboarding.

Oh -right.

See . . . I'm getting confused by all these diversions.

So - which interrogation methods were utilized that are considered a problem? :24:

Fuzzy Caterpillars. :24::rolleyes::laugh:

From Congressman Peter Hoekstra,

It was not necessary to release details of the enhanced interrogation techniques, because members of Congress from both parties have been fully aware of them since the program began in 2002. We believed it was something that had to be done in the aftermath of the 9/11 terrorist attacks to keep our nation safe. After many long and contentious debates, Congress repeatedly approved and funded this program on a bipartisan basis in both Republican and Democratic Congresses.

Last week, Mr. Obama argued that those who implemented this program should not be prosecuted -- even though the release of the memos still places many individuals at other forms of unfair legal risk. It appeared that Mr. Obama understood it would be unfair to prosecute U.S. government employees for carrying out a policy that had been fully vetted and approved by the executive branch and Congress. The president explained this decision with these gracious words: "nothing will be gained by spending our time and energy laying blame for the past." I agreed.

Unfortunately, on April 21, Mr. Obama backtracked (surprised?) and opened the door to possible prosecution of Justice Department attorneys who provided legal advice with respect to the enhanced interrogations program. The president also signaled that he may support some kind of independent inquiry into the program. It seems that he has capitulated to left-wing groups and some in Congress who are demanding show trials over this program.

Members of Congress calling for an investigation of the enhanced interrogation program should remember that such an investigation can't be a selective review of information, or solely focus on the lawyers who wrote the memos, or the low-level employees who carried out this program. I have asked Mr. Blair to provide me with a list of the dates, locations and names of all members of Congress who attended briefings on enhanced interrogation techniques.

...Perhaps we need an investigation not of the enhanced interrogation program, but of what the Obama administration may be doing to endanger the security our nation has enjoyed because of interrogations and other antiterrorism measures implemented since Sept. 12, 2001.

Guest Butero
This has got out of hand. Now I am being insulted for standing against torture on a Christian website.

I am leaving, I have seen a side of "Christians" I never knew existed, and it saddens me greatly.

Perhaps I am in the wrong here, I am clearly in the minority of those that dont advocate torture.

whatever the case, my eyes have been opened and I will depart from this forum for a while to reassess.

I guess you have reassessed, and have decided to longsuffer some more with us misguided Christians? :huh::noidea: