OneLight

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.20
  • Days Won:  115

As I read through some of the many threads that have come and gone over the time I have been here, there is one thing that has stood out more then anything else to me. I have noticed that over time, more and more people are not remaining separate from the world around them, but fit right in with looks and manner. What does it mean to you when Paul tells us not to conform to this world?

Romans 12

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Great question!

I think there are different layers to this.

One layer is the one we tend to focus on the most . . . outward appearances. How we dress, avoiding "bad" words, not engaging in outward sins, etc.

But there's another layer I wish we all could encourage each other on more. This is how we behave.

Slander, gossip, complaining, self-justification, self-gratification, self-seeking, bitterness, fits of rage, . . . .

These things are just as much "the world" as the external appearances.

Who Do You Love?

Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever. 1 John 2:15-17

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,219
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  03/18/1966

I would have to say that our behavior is a big issue. As in what we allow in our minds, the things we watch, the people we choose as friends, it all reflects back to how our appearance can be. Temptations of the world come in all different ways and you have to be mindful of this. Guarding your thoughts.

"The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace be with you. Philippians 4:9

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,823
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Days Won:  2

Who Do You Love?

Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever. 1 John 2:15-17

Amen

Guest shiloh357
As I read through some of the many threads that have come and gone over the time I have been here, there is one thing that has stood out more then anything else to me. I have noticed that over time, more and more people are not remaining separate from the world around them, but fit right in with looks and manner. What does it mean to you when Paul tells us not to conform to this world?

Romans 12

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

Paul is referring to the world system and the paradigm that accompanies it. We are being told not to fashion our lives to the value system of this world and this age. We are not imitate that manners, habits and lifestyle of this age in moral terms.

It is not calling for a radical separation from the world to the extent that we don't engage the world, but that our lives should not resemble in any manner the reigning moral/philosophical frame of reference prevalent in the lives of nonbelievers.

We should be engaged in a constant renewing of our mind in the Scriptures. Renewing is a term that is qualitative and it is something we should be doing on a daily basis. Part of the reason we should study the Scriptures is to renew our mind. It is a daily, continuous, habitual process.

You can see how even the english that Paul is using "conforming to the world and "renewing the mind" as opposites. We are to be daily transformed by the renewing of our mind (will, thoughts and emotions) in order that we can "prove" (investigate/ascertain) what the Will of God is. A mind that is disposed to obedience is prepared to receive the Lord's instruction.

All great answers! Desi explains this the way I see if. She said:

As in what we allow in our minds, the things we watch, the people we choose as friends, it all reflects back to how our appearance can be.

I agree with this 100%. What is in my heart is what I think about. What I think about comes out in the way I talk, act and appear to others. If my heart is in the world, I talk, act and look like the world. If my heart is in God, I talk, act and appear like Christ.

I have to take a daily inventory of my thoughts, actions and appearance. Am I representing Christ or am I representing the flesh and the world? When I see something that is of the world, Christ is pointing something out to me that should not be there and needs to be gone, replaced with what He has for me.

When I take this inventory, it is like sitting down with the Holy Spirit and going over my life. To me, this is exactly what will happen we stand before God and give account for our lives. The problem is that at Judgment, it will be too late to change. The grace of God is allowing this to happen before we stand in front of Him, giving account of our lives. I encourage everyone to welcome these times, seek them out and respond to the leading of the Holy Spirit, for it is through His love that He takes us out of the world.

Taking the inventory is the easy part. Changing is hard. If we change "half heatedly", the change will not last. Here is where I struggle. Sometimes, I fine it difficult to have a full heart for God. Sometimes, I am a stubborn lump of clay and other times, I completely submissive.

Proverbs 3:12

For whom the LORD loves He corrects, Just as a father the son in whom he delights.

If we feel like we are being corrected, we should rejoice, for the Lord loves us! He is taking His time to point out something that is wrong in our life. Accept His reproof with love, being the clay as He is the potter, forming us into a vessel He can use.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 (New King James Version)

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

This is how the Holy Spirit works in me. He reminds me of scripture that points to the problem in me. He also reminds me, through scripture, that greater is He who is in me then he who is in the world; that when I am weak, He is strong; that if what I desire is of Him, and I believe that I will receive it, I will have it. Correction is what I desire with all my heart, for if I am not corrected, I will not change. Through trials I grow. Through correction, I change.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  1

This is how the Holy Spirit works in me. He reminds me of scripture that points to the problem in me. He also reminds me, through scripture, that greater is He who is in me then he who is in the world; that when I am weak, He is strong; that if what I desire is of Him, and I believe that I will receive it, I will have it. Correction is what I desire with all my heart, for if I am not corrected, I will not change. Through trials I grow. Through correction, I change.

Amen amen...

His Word....

Psa 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Psa 119:149 Hear my voice according unto thy lovingkindness: O LORD, quicken me according to thy judgment.

Do we love His ways? if we do we will walk in them in this world ..

We will not align ourselves with those who oppose Him and His Righteousness..

Joh 17:14 I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

Joh 17:15 I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil.

Joh 17:16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

Joh 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

Joh 17:18 As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.

Joh 17:19 And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.

I fail... probably daily... but the Lord is faithful to keep working in me to bring me to that place where I need to be ...

This is a good subject and worth pondering seriously... :laugh:

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

John 7:24

24Stop judging by mere appearances, and make a right judgment."

1 Samuel 16-17

The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

I have for many years tried to stay apart from "The World" - try not to blend with the times or with the things that are superfluous and false. I gather my strength and guidance from reading the Word. I work in "The World"... I talk with people in "The World" and I praise God and talk about my faith in Him. Sometimes seeds are planted... I try to love people and sometimes it is challenging. And then I think - how hard it was to love me, but He did. Blessings.

We are to judge ourselves. He has given us a standard, His word, to use as a yardstick which to measure ourselves to. It is His word He brings to us for reproof, for correction, and for instruction in righteousness so we can become Christ like.

Becoming Christ like is not to remove ourselves from society. Jesus walked among the sinner to bring light to their life, an example we are to follow. He did not become as the sinners are in order to do so. When I think about how many people are like to world in order to witness to the lost, I find myself questioning if that is the right thing to do. Many will use the words of Paul from 1 Corinthians 9, "I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.", to justify becoming like the world in order to save them from sin. This is not what Paul meant at all. Paul was saying the for the weak, he become like the weak. This is spiritual, not physical. To take this out of context makes it contradictory to what Romans 12:1-2 teaches.