• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  630
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/09/1990

To me, alcohol is an example of Satan taking something good that God made and making something evil out of it. I've never seen alcohol do anything but destroy.

I got lipstick off wallpaper one time with it... :)

Hush, you. :)

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  9

To me, alcohol is an example of Satan taking something good that God made and making something evil out of it. I've never seen alcohol do anything but destroy.

Hush, you. :)

:bored-1: the next time you have lipstick on your wallpaper - you'll know what to do!!

Guest LadyC

sorry servant, but your theology is seriously flawed. especially given God's clear permission to the jews to buy wine or even strong drink when celebrating the tithe feast in honour of the Lord.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you are to give him the name John. 14He will be a joy and delight to you, and many will rejoice because of his birth, 15for he will be great in the sight of the Lord. He is never to take wine or other fermented drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit even from birth.

31"To what, then, can I compare the people of this generation? What are they like? 32They are like children sitting in the marketplace and calling out to each other:

" 'We played the flute for you,

and you did not dance;

we sang a dirge,

and you did not cry.' 33For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine, and you say, 'He has a demon.' 34The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and you say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and "sinners." ' 35But wisdom is proved right by all her children."

Jesus drank wine. Jesus cannot sin.

However I do not advocate drinking wine, it is however not a sin, being drunk IS a sin and a dangerous one with numerous warnings in the bible. We must not go beyond scripture. Some people indeed many people cannot handle any beer or wine because they cannot control themselves and fall into drunkenness, however many others can drink a glass of wine with dinner and be just fine.

I just think we need to stick with scripture.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

yes. and the whole of Scripture--not verses picked out here and there.

:)

Yes indeed.

I would encourage people who have questions about wine or alcoholic beverages and scripture to simply look at biblegateway.com and search on wine; you get a broad cross section of scripture from the Old through to the New Testament. What you find is that most of the passages recognize the use of wine throughout scripture, however most also include strong warnings against drunkenness and the abuse of wine. Some indeed tell some people in some situations never to drink any wine. For example John the Baptist had a calling to never drink any wine. There were certain times priests in the Old Testament should not drink any wine etc.

I think you can get a pretty balanced answer using all of scripture in that way.

Yes, concerning any doctrine, the entire context needs to be used- or else we'd have some odd perceptions, methinks.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.24
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

Of course I mean drinking it. :)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  139
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I personally do not oppose an occasional drink, but I know I need to use wise judgment in when and how much I drink. That's all I can really say for that!

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you are to give him the name John. 14He will be a joy and delight to you, and many will rejoice because of his birth, 15for he will be great in the sight of the Lord. He is never to take wine or other fermented drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit even from birth.

31"To what, then, can I compare the people of this generation? What are they like? 32They are like children sitting in the marketplace and calling out to each other:

" 'We played the flute for you,

and you did not dance;

we sang a dirge,

and you did not cry.' 33For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine, and you say, 'He has a demon.' 34The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and you say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and "sinners." ' 35But wisdom is proved right by all her children."

Jesus drank wine. Jesus cannot sin.

However I do not advocate drinking wine, it is however not a sin, being drunk IS a sin and a dangerous one with numerous warnings in the bible. We must not go beyond scripture. Some people indeed many people cannot handle any beer or wine because they cannot control themselves and fall into drunkenness, however many others can drink a glass of wine with dinner and be just fine.

Sticking with scripture is fine...but we need to understand it too.

There is NO solid evidence that Jesus consumed alcoholic beverages and to use that to frame an opinion of whether we should or not isn't really wise, IMO. If a person feels okay with drinking alcoholic beverages they should not need to try and prove that Jesus did it too.

Sticking with scripture is fine...but we need to understand it too.

There is NO solid evidence that Jesus consumed alcoholic beverages and to use that to frame an opinion of whether we should or not isn't really wise, IMO. If a person feels okay with drinking alcoholic beverages they should not need to try and prove that Jesus did it too.

Mhmm. 'Well Jesus did it' is a poor excuse for anything related to the justification of one's own habits or actions, in my opinion...