pokemaughan

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  139
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

An interesting thought to add to people of Jesus time is the fact you have to hydrate yourself in warm climates. You can not sit around all day and drink only alcoholic drink and expect not to get buzzed or drunk. We have ice and air conditioning..they had drinks only..no ice. There almost had to be something they drank non alcoholic just to get hydrated.

I am working in my garage today in 70 degree weather and I have drank several drinks....today in Jerusalem it will be 93 degrees in Tel Aviv tomorrow it will be 100 degrees..imagine how much one would drink to hydrate in Jesus day with only shade as a refuge.

And the kids...... what are they drinking in this crazy hot climate?

Edited by Servant54

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  887
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  05/23/1986

why? what makes one alcoholic beverage any better or worse than the next? i mean we've been arguing for how many pages now about whether or not it is a sin to touch alcohol, and most people agree that it is not. now is it gonna turn into a debate of what types of alcohol are sins? :laugh:

biblically we are to abstain from intoxication.

if it's ok to have a glass of wine, it's ok to have a rum and coke. if mixed properly, the alcohol content of each is the same.

As far as I know it doesn't take a whole lot of rum to get yourself off to a bad place. It's called hard liquor for a reason.

But what is the harm in just having one or two? On the rare occassions I do drink, I will usually have either a JD or Jim Beam and coke or a rum and coke...I know my limit and do not go past it (not even close) so what's the problem with that?

Here are some interesting things from "About.com".

These are not "Biblical" reasons to avoid alcoholic beverages. They are, moral reasons. Should a Christian have two or three beers with friends at the bar, then drive home... when there are so many other beverages available?

I'm sorry, have I missed something? I don't think anyone on this board would be encouraging drink-driving. And it doesn't what the person's religion is, no one should be drinking and driving. Faith has nothing to do with it.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  171
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,813
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

Hi. I would just like to say in re: to alchol that I am married with 2 children and my spouse drinks. I don't. However, I pay dearly for that choice he continuely makes. I am not even really considered a friend of his at times by him. I mean, he doesn't just come out and say it in words, but its the actions that speak the loudest. Alchol tends to make a person very socialable more. My spouse would much rather come home from work to his friends and pop the top on a beer can and socialize with them than come home to his kids and me. I don't drink so theres the difference. He goes to church as well. Leads prayer at times when asked but sometimes I feel when I am there I am living 2 lives. My daughter sometimes has to call him on the cell phone after work to ask him what time he is coming home because she just wants to spend some time with him. Its really sad.. Its also sad that he has told me before that if he quit drinking, his whole entire life would change. He doesn't want that. It is a very lonely life! I don't feel the LORD is for drinking for so many reasons.

There are alcoholics on different levels and it sounds like your husband may be one. I can't make that diagnosis but if he can't have fun and enjoy life without a drink it may be. Have you tried Christian counseling? :laugh: I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. My husband had the same trouble, but I would have a drink with him now and then. It wasn't the booze, he was avoiding me because he had some other serious issues. He would come home and purposely cause and argument to have an excuse to go elsewhere. We had counseling and everything is now all worked out now and we get along wonderfully now. I will pray for the same outcome for you and your husband.

They say genetics has something to do with drinking to much. My grampa several generations back got drunk and exposed himself accidentally. It has been such an embarrassment to my family that I decided not to drink any alcohol for fear that something similar might accidentally happen to me being I am predisposed to my family not being able to handle our liquor. I mean can you blame me, do you see why I believe as I do? Would you not do the same and not drink if you had a grandpa like I had?

I would totally write of this grampa but he was a good guy and he saved my whole family one time by obeying God and made a ark.

Edited by Servant54

RED SAID....

But what is the harm in just having one or two? On the rare occasions I do drink, I will usually have either a JD or Jim Beam and coke or a rum and coke...I know my limit and do not go past it (not even close) so what's the problem with that?

+++++++++++

I say...

Why do you do this on rare occasions?

Like I have said before..if say you are over fifty and a mature Xian perhaps there would be little wrong with you drinking one drink.

But drinking that one drink you become a drinker. When it is time to vote or give an opinion I see these older Xians holding the door open for younger Xians to enter the realm of becoming a drinker. Would you offer a drink to a younger Xian, his first drink on his 21 birthday? Would you feel you made the wrong choice that night if you later found out he became a drunk at 26 or 45 and killed himself in a car wreck?

My christian uncle only bought a 6 pack of beer every other week all through the 1940's,50's and 60's. Later in his life he began to drink a little more and a little more until he and my aunt died drunks. He lost his salvation. He did not even want to talk about God in his retired years.

I will bet if someone could have shown my uncle what would have been the end result of his life when he was saved and young, he would have quit drinking immediately and never touched a drop.

Who is to say someone is not an alcoholic just waiting to have something happen to a point where they fall into drunkenness.

Is this going to happen to you? Probably not...but if it could what odds would get you not to take another drink 2 to 1, 10 to 1, 100 to 1? And what about that kid you told yesterday that it was ok to have a cold one now and then? 2 to 1, 10 to1, 100 to 1?

RED SAID....

I'm sorry, have I missed something? I don't think anyone on this board would be encouraging drink-driving. And it doesn't what the person's religion is, no one should be drinking and driving. Faith has nothing to do with it.

I agree with you no one here would be encouraging drink-driving, but maybe it would be good to have the facts to be able to discourage it. Amen?

I will bet more than one person here has kids, or unsaved friends who drink and drive etc.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,066
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Birthday:  02/02/1961

I am finding it very interesting that almost everyone has ignored my comments. I suppose, being a recovering alcoholic, no one wants to hear MY side of the story.

I do believe in moderation, however, in my personal case, there is no such thing as moderation. Whatever alcohol I drink, it turns into the getting drunk stage. Yes I have a family predisposition toward it. Darkest Red, my drink when I get seriously drunk has always been JD straight up with a water chaser. I'm rather hardcore about my drinking, but lately I've discovered that I would even drink wine---which is something I hate with a passion---to get drunk. I think that, if given the opportunity and the chutzpah to do it, I'd even drink rubbing alcohol to get drunk (which I happen to know that Kitty Dukakis, the former First Lady of Massachusetts, did on a regular basis. So did Betty Ford.)

Fact is, if you KNOW you can't do it, and you do it anyway, to you it is sin. (James 4:17, my version).

a.

Graceful 801.

My neighbor gal is a new Christian and so is her hub. She decided she had enough of him coming home after drinking and went and got counsel. Her husband gave up drinking. His friend are not the old drink buddies but church friends.

This story does not total parallel your story but it is similar and had a good result because she acted and acted wisely.

My heart goes out to your family I will pray for them.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  02/09/1983

I don't like alcohol though when I'm with friends occasianally I drink half a glass of wine for example I don't think that

s wrong; it gets different when you drink to get drunk or when you need alcohol to relax.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  244
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  09/20/1959

Hey Bro,

FYI, I am an alcoholic, that Jesus has delivered from the need of drink. The wanting to is still there though, but by His grace, I am able to stand firm in what He has given me.

Now too your question; your GF is correct in that the occasional drink is OK, even beneficial health wise, the alcohol thins the blood and helps prevent blood clots and strokes, even heart attacks. However, Paul also said, "If I do a thing that can cause another to stumble, I will refrain from it." I have no problem with other brothers or sisters having the occasional drink. It becomes a problem when the one or two become the beginning and the end of a long string of more than just two.

This was my problem, and many others as well, I cannot stop. So, for me, the best way to stop is not to start. Ask your self this, "Is Jesus uncomfortable with me drinking?" This, I cannot answer for you.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

I just want to chime in on the whole idea that somehow red wine has a health benefit. Does wine thin the blood? Yes. It can be beneficial in that way, which in turn can provide other positive health benefits. However, if you drink enough wine to gain these benefits you can damage your liver, cause obesity, and increase you chance for various types of cancer (among other things.) There are FAR SAFER and healthier ways to gain those health benefits than to drink wine.

It would be like someone taking moderate amounts of crack in order to gain the health benefits of losing weight.