• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  630
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/09/1990

I'm currently in a long-winded discussion via email with my girlfriend's aunt about various facets of our personal beliefs.

Her current standing is that the Bible is unreliable due to man (I have no problem arguing against this... plenty of fact to refute that).

She believes,

(a) Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene and had 6 kids.

(b) The Biblical canon is unreliable.

So my two questions are,

(a) How does one come to this conclusion, that Jesus was married? Was He?

(b) How was the Biblical canon formed? Why is it that what we have is the be-all-end-all, and nothing else?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

She has been reading the "lost books" of the Bible as some people like to call them.

The Bible was put together by the Orthodox Church long ago and through the direction of the Holy Spirit. Some books were not included in the Canon because they were found to be unreliable and counterfeit writings such as the book of Thomas or the Book of Mary Magdeline. One of these "lost books" states that Jesus was married and it speaks about it.. one of them also talks about him as a child. But like I mentioned they are counterfeit and written by men who wanted to destroy the Christian beliefs and confidence as the Apostle Paul wrote to the Corinthian church in one of his Epistles (1st or 2nd Corinthians).

However one thing that puzzels me is why the book of Enoch was not included in the Canon? It was referanced by Paul and I belive the writer of Hebrew in the Epistles... I know one reason it wasn't included is because it was written by 3 different authors which is odd. Odd because why did three different people write it? It's so clear when you read it that there is three clear and distinct voices/writing signatures... I dont know.. somethings are better left out. I belive they made the right choice leaving it out.. it would have brought a lot of confusion.

.... (a) How does one come to this conclusion, that Jesus was married? Was He?

You Bet He Is!

To Israel

For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called.

Isaiah 54:5

To All Believers

And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

Revelation 21:2

Other Claims On The LORD Jesus Come From A Far Different Source Don't You Know!

Ye do the deeds of your father. Then said they to him, We be not born of fornication; we have one Father, even God.

Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.

Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word.

Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not.

John 8:41-45

>>>>>()<<<<<

.... (b) How was the Biblical canon formed? Why is it that what we have is the be-all-end-all, and nothing else?

God Gave Us His Holy Word

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

2 Timothy 3:16-17

All Of His Holy Word

For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

2 Peter 1:21

But Some Diddle

What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it.

Deuteronomy 12:32

And Will Answer For Placing Their Thoughts Up There With God's

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

Love, Your Brother Joe

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

Poke,

There are MANY FALSE teachings and beliefs about Jesus. Stick to the ONE TRUE WORD - THE BIBLE. Pray for this woman and put your faith in God and His Son. Stay strong and read and pray.

Blessings!!!

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,683
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/14/1962

I'm currently in a long-winded discussion via email with my girlfriend's aunt about various facets of our personal beliefs.

Her current standing is that the Bible is unreliable due to man (I have no problem arguing against this... plenty of fact to refute that).

She believes,

So my two questions are,

(b) How was the Biblical canon formed? Why is it that what we have is the be-all-end-all, and nothing else?

Be sure and let her know that the Holy Bible is the final authority and to stop watching Hollywood movies made by people that have never met Jesus.

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  540
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  08/26/1980

Proving Jesus was not married is easy. First off, the 'lost books' of Mary Magdaline (Sp?) are too late to be reliable and not really written by Mary. The infamous 'kiss' between Jesus and Mary was no more detailed than any time he kissed Peter, Judas or any other disciples. (At the time it was not considered to be gay for two men to kiss to show affection for one another, of course this also denotes kisses to the cheek or forehead)

The best evidence against Jesus being married is 1 corinthians 9:5 where Paul talks about having the right to take a wife as do other apostles, the brothers of Christ and even Peter. If Jesus had been married it is a pretty sure bet that Paul would have mentioned that even Jesus had a wife so he could too.

Proving the authroity of the biblical cannon can be a bit harder. While many will argue that the books chosen for the bible were chosen dogmatically and other equally valid books were thrown out because they don't fit in with the church powers idea of what they wanted.

In truth most all of the biblical cannon was already being taught and used as cannon before the nincean council. The only major debates were over a few fringe groups teaching out of false epistles and discussing if Revelation should be considered cannon. While there are lots archeology to support this it is still hard to prove to someone who refuses to listen.

• Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

Sir Gareth, I highly argue that that is why the Biblical Canon is the way it is. Have you ever read the Lost books? When I read them, it doesn't feel as if it was inspired by God at all. And that is why they were not put in the Bible because they are counterfeit and forgeries..

Paul speaks clearly about people writing forged letters in his name to the Churches in his Epistles, warning not to be led astray by them. These people who write forgeries are the same ones who persecuted the early church, remember why the book of Hebrews was written? It was a difficult period with many people who wanted to destroy the Christians.. very similar to today though no one is burning us alive.. (I hope).

2 Thessalonians 3:17

I, Paul, write this greeting in my own hand, which is the distinguishing mark in all my letters. This is how I write.

Colossians 4:18

I, Paul, write this greeting in my own hand. Remember my chains. Grace be with you.

Galatians 6:11

[ Not Circumcision but a New Creation ] See what large letters I use as I write to you with my own hand!

1 Corinthians 16:21

I, Paul, write this greeting in my own hand.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  630
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  03/09/1990

Thank you brothers, your advice has been helpful.

I listened to a lecture by a Dr. Oakley of Alpha and Omega Ministries last night, about the historical reliability of the NT to refresh my memory of the facts that clearly point to it's purity today. I wrote a rough draft for a refutation on her beliefs that I will most likely post here on the forums for both edification and revision before I send it off to her.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,823
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Days Won:  2

There is allways a reason to say that the Bible is un reliable.Every sentence,every word,everything is questioned.Everytime it fails.

The Bible is the word of God everything else are just words

Blessings

Guest shiloh357

She believes,

I always find amusement when people try to claim that the Bible is unreliable or try to poke holes in what it says.

When someone says that something is faulty, unreliable, etc. They automatically place the burden upon them to demonstrate or prove that statement.

It would be interesting to know what her reasons are for saying that. Also, to claim that Jesus fathered six children with Mary of Magdeline is also something that she must support historically, as she is making a statement she believes to be historically factual.

So my two questions are,

Doesn't matter until people who make such claims provide their evidence for review. If they can't provide any historical corroboration, then there is no reason to believe it.

That is a long answer that I don't have the time or will to type out here. You can find many good sources of info in your local Christianbookstore or at a library of a Christian university.