stacey c

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  106
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

As I understand it, the difference between the Pentecostal and Charismatic movements is evolutionary and subtle and reflects a divine strategy.

When the modern Pentecostal movement came into its own at the beginning of the 20th Century, for a long time it was regarded with disdain by the established denominations and secular opinion. Still the movement grew, and at some point a prophecy went forth, which I believe has quite borne out, that the Pentecostal Movement would spread worldwide, and would become a unifying force among all denominations. As that began to happen, a lot of the Holiness and Oneness teaching, and the more extreme manifestations, were left behind by more middle-of-the-road people who wanted the Baptism but not "wildfire" or aberrant theology. These became known as Charismatics, a sort of kinder, gentler version of the Pentecostals.

So the two movements are closely related, but one is more refined in practice and safer in theology, and therefore better equipped to permeate all the various branches of Christianity and bring them together in the unity of the Spirit.

And with the Vatican II council in the 1960s, even the RCC opened up to the charisma, with even the last Pope being a speaker in tongues.

p.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  210
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

LOL

I can hardly believe what I am reading here. Let me tell you all a little story.

In the mid 1990's I took a trip to Russia. The interpreters we had were a group of college students. We all met together for prayer in our hotel lobby one morning. Standing in a circle holding hands we began to pray. I began to softly pray in tongues. When we were finished praying one of the young college men smiled at me and said, "Susie, I am Charasmatic! Are you, too?! I smiled, "No, I am penticostal." Then as he was so thrilled that we both spoke the same spiritual language, and as he held my hand tightly I said, shrugging my shoulders, " Penticostal, Charasmatic, eh, they are the same thing." And we both agreed.

These terms simply identify the person has had an experience with the Lord like they had on the day of penticost when the 120 in the upper room were all filled with the Spirit.

question: if you came out of the church speaking German would people think you were drunk?

perhaps when the 120 came out of the upper room speaking in tongues, the public heard them speaking in their own language because as they prophesied in tongues they also interpreted what they said into other languages, and they were rejoicing with great joy as they did it!!

taken from the bok of Acts chapter 2

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  02/19/1960

Paul: Actually classical Pentecostals have more scholarship and sound doctrine/practice, while the early charismatics were more experiential and lacked teaching and sound doctrine at times.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Here's one to keep the debate going! I consider (and so does my church) that I attend a Apostolic / Prophetic church. What do we do? Worship Jesus, teach scripture, go into the nations, wear jeans, run a Sunday school, drink tea and coffee after the service, have prayer meetings, sometimes break bread, conduct home groups, kill snakes if we find them in the church (not that we have!) (dangerous - not for any other reason :emot-hug:) and fellowship.

We do a lot of outreach into Africa, support orphanages, get food and bibles into Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Madagasgar and also New Zealand. we are part of 600 relating churches around the world, all planted from one church in South Africa.

How do we worship? We have a cool worship group, we do lift hands if the mood takes us (biblical), sometimes people clap to the beat (not often), some might talk in tongues, but quietly and in reverent prayer (not many because not all have the gift - again scriptural).

How does a service run? We arrive, have a prayer meeting before church for those who want to attend. We worship, we have announcements, we listen to a preach, we drink tea and fellowship, we go home. Probably much like many of us here.

The kids stay for worship and afterwards mayhem ensues as they run off to Sunday school. It's a happy, Spirit filled, vibrant place, in which we worship Jesus and listen to His word.

We have elders, deacons, and all the usual stuff (again scriptural). We tithe, we baptise, but by personal decision only. We run courses all the time on preaching methods, theology, boundaries in marriage, we have church camps, mens breakfasts, ladies breakfasts, mens weekends.

Jesus knows the heart of our church, and I think He is smiling in approval. It just feels right.

What more could one ask for?

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  106
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

GodRulz, I don't doubt that in some cases. There's an awful lot of heterogeneity, and the lines are very blurred.

I was up at the Toronto Revival several years ago. The Catholic Youth Day was in town at the same time, with Pope John Paul in attendance (when I crossed the border into Canada, the guard asked me my purpose. I said I was going to the revival in Toronto. She thought I meant the Catholic one...).

Catholic youth from all over the world attended, and some came to visit the Vineyard one night. The pastor warmly welcomed them and then asked them to come up front to receive prayer. Among those going up were three guys, about 18 years old, from a former Eastern Bloc European nation. When they got up front they knelt down to be blessed! I cracked up. It's quite the oleo.

p.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Sounds like a cool church, Fez!

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  74
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  04/13/1948

There is one thing "all" true Christians must agree on to get to Heaven when you take your "fleshly" last breath.

It takes the precious Blood of Jesus Christ to save us when we ask Him for forgiveness. (It is one of the greatest sins a person can do, to ask man to forgive our sins. Only God forgives sin)

Regardless if we're Charasmatic or Pentecostal, the following Bible scripture points something out many people seem to forget, or do not know. Here it is...

(John 14:6) "Jesus saith unto him, I AM THE WAY, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

It is not the pope, jehovah witnesses, mormons, baptist, charasmatics, or pentecostal that will get us to Heaven. (They will go to hell for all eternity unless they get saved according to Gods Holy Bible) It is "only" through the Blood Jesus shed on Calvary 2000 years ago.

Some comments here refer to the pope speaking in tongues. First of all, even satan and demons are able to trick people in false cult religions. Talking in tongues does not save.

It takes pure salvation given by Jesus death, burial, and resurrection for us to receive eternal life and go to Heaven.

One last thing. All true Christians know that the Holy Bible is our "roadmap and guide" for us to completely go by. The Bible says no sin shall enter Heaven. Therefore, anyone or any religion that does not 100% go by God and His Holy Bible is false and will go to hell for all eternity.

No matter how "religious" they look or sound.

Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which NO MAN SHALL SEE THE LORD: (Heb.12:14)

"And if the righteous scarcely be saved, WHERE SHALL THE ungodly and the sinner appear?" (1Peter 4:18)

A wolf may put on sheep clothing but they are still a wolf.

A true Christian will be known by their actions.

May all people in all churches have revival so Jesus Christ can be proclaimed Lord of lords and King of kings.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest shiloh357
I know this may sound like a silly question to some, but when ever someone has asked me what denomination I belong to my answer is always charasmatic/pentecostal.

Now I see some who say "I'm charasmatic not pentecostal" or vise versa.

So what's the difference? I feel really silly asking this question because after 30 some odd years of being saved I should know this answer.

Is there really a difference?

A Charismatic is just a Pentacostal who can read. :emot-hug::emot-hug:

Just kidding!!!!

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

"A Charismatic is just a Pentacostal who can read." :emot-hug::24:

Love it!!!! I guess I'm a little of both then - I certainly can't spell as well as I would like :emot-hug:

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  02/19/1960

"A Charismatic is just a Pentacostal who can read." :whistling::24:

Love it!!!! I guess I'm a little of both then - I certainly can't spell as well as I would like :emot-handshake:

PentEcostal, not PentAcostal. Lesson 1.