IGNORED

Charasmatic/Pentecostal

stacey c

Guest LadyC

i used to think that all pentacostals were people who ran around in circles during church making weird noises, people who all spoke in tongues at the same time as if they were in a competition over who could be heard over everyone else, and who thought being "slain in the spirit" was some sort of testament to their holiness. i also thought all pentacostal women were forbidden to wear makeup and never wore pants of any type.

and now i am a member of a pentacostal church. in the three and a half years i've been there, i've never seen anyone slain in the spirit, never seen anyone run around in circles (although there is one man who likes to jump up and down during worship songs, but that's ok LOL... guess he can't dance!), and those who speak in tongues at church do so quietly, reverently, and while in prayer. both the men and the women wear whatever they want... most wear jeans, a few will sometimes wear a dress if it's a special occasion, and some wear biker's leathers.

so what is pentacostal? i think it's a label with a lot of misconceptions :)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LadyC

well if preferring jeans over skirts, and preferring a little makeup on my face, make me worldly, then i'll wear that label :)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  913
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/02/1969

well if preferring jeans over skirts, and preferring a little makeup on my face, make me worldly, then i'll wear that label :)

Amen!!!!!! Lady C

I do have to say that thru my expieirence of different pentecostal churches they are not all the same.

The first one we went to when my family was saved, was a very loving, laid back church who was on fire for God.

Then when we moved to Fl. a few years later we found another church (still The Church of God), whose pastor was such a dynamic, wonderful man, his wife left him and their children, while he was the pastor, and ran off with another man and divorced the pastor. He remained single for a couple of years and married a lady from the church, what a doll she was, the leaders of the church had a big todo over that and removed him from the pastorialship.

They sent in a new pastor, and let me tell you the legalism that arose in that church afterwards was ridiculous. Everyone was judginf everyone else, jeans and makeup a big nono.......ect....

So we cain't paint ALL pentecostal churches with the same brush.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  171
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/25/1977

I am neither Pentecostal nor charismatic...Wow, can you guys believe that?!!? LOL, but I do agree with you fully on this comment Stacey.

I can only speculate what Pentecostals believe by what I have seen or was told by members. I know some are far out there. Being from the south, you have what some called "Themselves" oneness pentecostals...I haven't seen to many oneness churches up here, but I always heard rumors about some playing with snakes. They did this because Jesus claimed that you could handle serpents and not die. What I do know for a fact, is that THIS sect of pentecostalism is quite rare. Most on here are very level headed and wouldn't do such things. I have also met some that consider themselves "oneness" but do not partake in such activities. I spoke with one gentleman (pentecostal) who proceeded to tell me all about the works of one "William Branham"...this was interesting to say the least...but I would never, EVER paint pentecostals as being with the likes of this guy.

As I have said, being from Arkansas, I saw alot of the "Can't wear pants (women)" can't cut hair, can't own a TV (Im serious), MUST speak in tongues...but than I come here and speak with you fine "pentecostals" and realize that it's all based on each individual church and each individual person. I guess in general, we can same the same about all denoms. I know being a baptist myself, many have this false impression that once you walk into a baptist church a finger will be pointed at you proclaiming hell awaits...ROTFL...simply not true.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  913
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/02/1969

I am neither Pentecostal nor charismatic...Wow, can you guys believe that?!!? LOL, but I do agree with you fully on this comment Stacey.

I can only speculate what Pentecostals believe by what I have seen or was told by members. I know some are far out there. Being from the south, you have what some called "Themselves" oneness pentecostals...I haven't seen to many oneness churches up here, but I always heard rumors about some playing with snakes. They did this because Jesus claimed that you could handle serpents and not die. What I do know for a fact, is that THIS sect of pentecostalism is quite rare. Most on here are very level headed and wouldn't do such things. I have also met some that consider themselves "oneness" but do not partake in such activities. I spoke with one gentleman (pentecostal) who proceeded to tell me all about the works of one "William Branham"...this was interesting to say the least...but I would never, EVER paint pentecostals as being with the likes of this guy.

As I have said, being from Arkansas, I saw alot of the "Can't wear pants (women)" can't cut hair, can't own a TV (Im serious), MUST speak in tongues...but than I come here and speak with you fine "pentecostals" and realize that it's all based on each individual church and each individual person. I guess in general, we can same the same about all denoms. I know being a baptist myself, many have this false impression that once you walk into a baptist church a finger will be pointed at you proclaiming hell awaits...ROTFL...simply not true.

AAAAWWW yes our ever popular "Snakehandlers". I assure you they are more than just rumors or mystical creatures, they do exist. :)

I tell you what, I could have all the faith in the world, that I could leap tall buildings in a single bound, stop speeding bullets, or touch a snake......doesn't mean I'm going to tempt that!!!!! :huh:

My two favorite words with regaurds to snakes....unseen and hiding......

They remain unseen and I don't need to go into hiding.... :)

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  74
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  04/13/1948

May I veer in another direction to answer your question according to Gods Word?

Actually, denomination is completely man made. In the New Testament people saved and washed in the Blood of the Lamb were called "Christians." If this was pleasing to God 2000 years ago, it is still pleasing to Him today.

As for Charasmatics and Pentecostals they are like foods we eat. Some are good while others are bad like food that is "spoiled." Some indeed are very "fleshly" while others truly love The Lord with all their heart.

The way Charasmatic "truly" got started in the beginning were by catholic jesuit priest who wanted to lead people into the catholic teaching of Mary, etc. It would take a while to really get in to all this.

I know this personally as I grew up surrounded by my families/relatives being devout catholics. Thank God my Dad was the exception and my Mom. They truly got saved and began following God and His Holy Word.

The Pentecostal movement claim their start from Acts 2...Day of Pentecost.

Like we mentioned before, denomination is strickly man made and is not ordained of God. All the many branches of belief came from some man or woman saying God was leading them to start a new movement. This is not according to the precious Holy KJV Bible teaching, which is perfectly inspired of God Almighty.

God never placed anyone on earth to stand in His stead. God alone is our leader. He does anoint men and women who are true Christians to work for Him winning souls, preaching the Gospel, healing the sick in Jesus Name, casting out devils, and scores of other ministries.

It's all wrapped up in God however, being our only Head and Leader.

Christians need to grow up spiritually, quit acting like babies, start studying the Bible and praying, seeking Gods face for revival.

Then denomination will melt away and true Christians become great soul winners and workers in the body of Christ.

I was a Pentecostal pastor and evangelist for years until they actually began telling me how to preach and run my church. I instantly sent them a letter telling them to remove me completely from the Assemblies of God denomination. I made a promise to God I'd never again belong to any of the backslid, money hungry, divorcing and remarriage denominations, and I never will.

There are some wonderful preachers and Christians in denominations that love God fully. That is the only thing holding the denominations together.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  692
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  03/02/1946

May I veer in another direction to answer your question according to Gods Word?

Actually, denomination is completely man made. In the New Testament people saved and washed in the Blood of the Lamb were called "Christians." If this was pleasing to God 2000 years ago, it is still pleasing to Him today.

As for Charasmatics and Pentecostals they are like foods we eat. Some are good while others are bad like food that is "spoiled." Some indeed are very "fleshly" while others truly love The Lord with all their heart.

The way Charasmatic "truly" got started in the beginning were by catholic jesuit priest who wanted to lead people into the catholic teaching of Mary, etc. It would take a while to really get in to all this.

I know this personally as I grew up surrounded by my families/relatives being devout catholics. Thank God my Dad was the exception and my Mom. They truly got saved and began following God and His Holy Word.

The Pentecostal movement claim their start from Acts 2...Day of Pentecost.

Like we mentioned before, denomination is strickly man made and is not ordained of God. All the many branches of belief came from some man or woman saying God was leading them to start a new movement. This is not according to the precious Holy KJV Bible teaching, which is perfectly inspired of God Almighty.

God never placed anyone on earth to stand in His stead. God alone is our leader. He does anoint men and women who are true Christians to work for Him winning souls, preaching the Gospel, healing the sick in Jesus Name, casting out devils, and scores of other ministries.

It's all wrapped up in God however, being our only Head and Leader.

Christians need to grow up spiritually, quit acting like babies, start studying the Bible and praying, seeking Gods face for revival.

Then denomination will melt away and true Christians become great soul winners and workers in the body of Christ.

I was a Pentecostal pastor and evangelist for years until they actually began telling me how to preach and run my church. I instantly sent them a letter telling them to remove me completely from the Assemblies of God denomination. I made a promise to God I'd never again belong to any of the backslid, money hungry, divorcing and remarriage denominations, and I never will.

There are some wonderful preachers and Christians in denominations that love God fully. That is the only thing holding the denominations together.

:)

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  47
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I agree. There are so many denominations yet we all believe in the same God and read the same Bible. Besides that, where i come from, there are so many different churches in the same area. sometimes there are churches right next door to each other. Often pastors are numbers-hungry. So often people break away from their church and form their own church. I understand that we are all different and thus have different preferences but i just think that unfortunately churches are often more like organisations in todays society rather than the house of God. I guess that's a bit off the topic though.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  864
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  04/22/1954

This is an unfair stereotype. Some sectish type smaller groups may be this way (and larger United Pentecostal Church which is 'Jesus only' vs Trinity), but most Pentecostals are probably almost 'worldly'. Modesy is the principle, not legalism.

I'm almost "worldly?" Can you explain to me how I am almost "worldly?"

This is going to come as quite a shock to my entire church.

LOL, :noidea:

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Well, if this is true then they failed miserably in their task because I don't know any Charismatics who follow Catholicism or their regards for Mary (except a couple "Charismatic Catholics").