IGNORED

Does anyone remember the 1979 Iranian Revolution?

nebula

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

America supported the oppressive rule of the Shah of Iran with weapons and such. He plundered the country's wealth for his own family. It was a secular government, and the Shah exiled the religious leaders, the main one being the ayatollah Khomeini, who was in France. Anyway, the Shah got cancer and came to the US for treatment while the Shah's military forcefully attempted to put do the revolution of the people; many, many more than now. The ayatollah was allowed back into the country, the people overthrew the Shah and invaded our Embassy and took our people hostage. They were hostages for 444 days. Carter sent the military on a rescue mission which failed miserably in the desert of Iran. The hostages were released on the day that Ronald Reagan was sworn in as President.

They were actually rescued by a Canadian outfit.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  830
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

I remember it well. the chaos. I was young, 17 years old when the revolution started. I wasn't a Christian then, but even if I was I don't think I would have understood the implications of a radical Muslim regime taking control of the ancient country of Persia (Iran).

"The kings of the East" in the Bible refers to anything East of the Euphrates - Iran and beyond.

But what strikes me (here we go again, I'm sick of thinking about Bible prophecy, let alone all the arguing that sometimes goes with talking about it) is that the lion, leopard and bear used as symbols of the beast of Revelation 13 are the same animals that Daniel used as symbols of the ancient Greek, Medo-Persian and Babylonian empires in Daniel 7.

Turning these ancient empires into modern-day states would include Pakistan, Iran, Iraq, Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, Egypt, Turkey, and Greece. With the exception of Greece, all of those states are Islamic states.

It makes me wonder a lot, because Achmadinejad wants the Islamic Middle Eastern states united the way the E.U is united; and Achmadinejad wants the annihilation of the state of Israel; and Acmadinejad thinks the Islamic messiah is coming soon, and it's Acmadinejad's job to get the world socio-political conditions ready for the Islamic messiah (the mahdi).

Iran supports the Islamic rebels in Iraq.

It all makes me wonder what's going to happen in the Middle East once the last American troops are removed from Iraq. Will the Iraqi government be able to survive and Iranian-supported and fuelled Islamic revolution in Iraq?

I hate this stuff. When I read threads like this, it puts my mind into an area of thought I really don't like being in anymore. For every action there's a reaction. What seeds are being sown in Iran today?

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,273
  • Content Per Day:  4.85
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

America supported the oppressive rule of the Shah of Iran with weapons and such. He plundered the country's wealth for his own family. It was a secular government, and the Shah exiled the religious leaders, the main one being the ayatollah Khomeini, who was in France. Anyway, the Shah got cancer and came to the US for treatment while the Shah's military forcefully attempted to put do the revolution of the people; many, many more than now. The ayatollah was allowed back into the country, the people overthrew the Shah and invaded our Embassy and took our people hostage. They were hostages for 444 days. Carter sent the military on a rescue mission which failed miserably in the desert of Iran. The hostages were released on the day that Ronald Reagan was sworn in as President.

They were actually rescued by a Canadian outfit.

No they weren't. They were released by the Iranians minutes after Reagan was sworn in.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

I remember some of them were released awhile before the others, but I don't remember the Canadians having anything to do with the release either...

• Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

I wasn't into politics at the time, but I remember seeing it on tv the day they were released.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Thanks for the explanation, Parker!

• Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

Beg your pardon

Canadian Caper

Main article: Canadian Caper On the day the hostages were seized, six American diplomats evaded capture and remained in hiding at the Swiss and Canadian embassies. In 1979, the Canadian Parliament held a secret session for the first time since World War II in order to pass special legislation allowing Canadian passports to be issued to some American citizens so that they could escape. Six American diplomats boarded a flight to [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z%C3%BCrich]Z

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,273
  • Content Per Day:  4.85
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

Beg your pardon

Canadian Caper

Main article: Canadian Caper On the day the hostages were seized, six American diplomats evaded capture and remained in hiding at the Swiss and Canadian embassies. In 1979, the Canadian Parliament held a secret session for the first time since World War II in order to pass special legislation allowing Canadian passports to be issued to some American citizens so that they could escape. Six American diplomats boarded a flight to [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z%C3%BCrich]Z

Edited by Parker1

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

The Canadian Caper? How very interesting... Never heard of it. But if it's in Wiki - it must be so... :thumbsup:

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Beg your pardon

Canadian Caper

Oh, well I'm glad the Canadians were able to help out!

But it seems though we've been having a miscommunication. We thought you were saying the Canadians helped release the hostages in 1981 - not assisted the escape of some Americans who evaded becoming hostages.

We shouldn't let the miscommunication take away from the gratitude we should have towards the assistance, though, should we?

:thumbsup: