Axxman

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

My daughter is entering 7th grade and I received the customary packet of a gazillion pages to sign to get her registered for the upcoming school year. Well, slipped into the middle of this mess was a Parent/Student "contract" concerning guns. Basically the idea is to teach your kids the dangers of guns (no mention of gun safety...just gun danger), promise not to take weapons to school, what to do if you see a weapon at school, etc... I was okay with that part.

However, the parent had to sign a promise to keep their guns locked up and away from children at all times at home. This bothered me for several reason...most of which, they are trying to tell me how to run my home in regards to guns. I crossed this section out before signing and returning the contract.

Now I'm kinda worried that maybe I've put a 'mark' on my daughter (straight A student) for the teachers. Like she has a scarlet letter attached to her because her dad's a nut who wouldn't even sign a simple gun safety contract. I'm just kind of curious how someone else might have handled it.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  562
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

My daughter is entering 7th grade and I received the customary packet of a gazillion pages to sign to get her registered for the upcoming school year. Well, slipped into the middle of this mess was a Parent/Student "contract" concerning guns. Basically the idea is to teach your kids the dangers of guns (no mention of gun safety...just gun danger), promise not to take weapons to school, what to do if you see a weapon at school, etc... I was okay with that part.

However, the parent had to sign a promise to keep their guns locked up and away from children at all times at home. This bothered me for several reason...most of which, they are trying to tell me how to run my home in regards to guns. I crossed this section out before signing and returning the contract.

Now I'm kinda worried that maybe I've put a 'mark' on my daughter (straight A student) for the teachers. Like she has a scarlet letter attached to her because her dad's a nut who wouldn't even sign a simple gun safety contract. I'm just kind of curious how someone else might have handled it.

are you willing to pay that price for freedom ?

I would have signed it.

But that's just me.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

Good grief. I am sure that there are plenty of parents who do not practice adequate gun safety - but I don't think it is the role of her school to determine what you do in your own home. I KNOW they think they are going to supercharge parents into making their kids safer, but... this is out of the scope of the school system's responsibility. When I received a "contract" from the school about making sure my children didn't bring drugs to school, etc. I was stunned. Then I got a 'contract' from the youth group they attended at church about making sure we talked about 'abstinence', etc. I know that there are a lot of people who conceived and bore children and have NO clue how to raise them - the world is full of people who are clueless - but it is annoying on many levels, when one is a responsible and conscientious parent, to be told how to raise and instruct your children. :laugh:

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,272
  • Content Per Day:  4.87
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

are you willing to pay that price for freedom ?

What does that mean? :laugh:

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Good grief. I am sure that there are plenty of parents who do not practice adequate gun safety - but I don't think it is the role of her school to determine what you do in your own home. I KNOW they think they are going to supercharge parents into making their kids safer, but... this is out of the scope of the school system's responsibility. When I received a "contract" from the school about making sure my children didn't bring drugs to school, etc. I was stunned. Then I got a 'contract' from the youth group they attended at church about making sure we talked about 'abstinence', etc. I know that there are a lot of people who conceived and bore children and have NO clue how to raise them - the world is full of people who are clueless - but it is annoying on many levels, when one is a responsible and conscientious parent, to be told how to raise and instruct your children. :laugh:

But you are not really being told how to raise and instruct your children, those sorts of things are for the parents that dont have a clue.

I always look at them like the directions on a shampoo bottle or the warning lable on a snowblower telling me not to use it on my roof.

What! Not supposed to do that??? :24:

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

Good grief. I am sure that there are plenty of parents who do not practice adequate gun safety - but I don't think it is the role of her school to determine what you do in your own home. I KNOW they think they are going to supercharge parents into making their kids safer, but... this is out of the scope of the school system's responsibility. When I received a "contract" from the school about making sure my children didn't bring drugs to school, etc. I was stunned. Then I got a 'contract' from the youth group they attended at church about making sure we talked about 'abstinence', etc. I know that there are a lot of people who conceived and bore children and have NO clue how to raise them - the world is full of people who are clueless - but it is annoying on many levels, when one is a responsible and conscientious parent, to be told how to raise and instruct your children. :24:

But you are not really being told how to raise and instruct your children, those sorts of things are for the parents that dont have a clue.

I always look at them like the directions on a shampoo bottle or the warning lable on a snowblower telling me not to use it on my roof.

Oh, I think they are telling us what to do.... we live in a culture where we are thought to be such idiots that we have to be told the most basic things. Now, you KNOW some twit has used the snowblower on the roof and fell off and sued the company blind. Just like those parents who leave guns loaded in drawers and never tell the kid anything about gun safety...

I got a new stove a while back. They delivered it and then I noticed these brackets that they were getting ready to drill into my new wood floors - when I questioned it... the guy said - I would have to sign a waiver stating I refused the 'stabilizing' brackets... Long story short... The brackets are to keep the stove from tipping over on you if you stand on the open oven door..... :24: There were stickers on the door about this and a three page 'waiver' ... Now you know somebody did this... And there's some brainiac out there who used their toaster under water, too. :laugh:

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  1,973
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/13/1953

I am in agreement with you Axxman and you may well have singled your daughter out to the teachers but this kind of effort to attempt to control you through your children is something that has been growing for a long time. It started with the removal of prayer from our schools. It moved up a notch with the effort to force our children to learn Evilution and gun control is a new avenue to continue the growth.

Even though you may have singled out your daughter and she may suffer it some you need to remember that if you don't stand up for your freedoms she won't have them in the future. And if she sees that you are giving in in spite of what you believe she will remember that also.

My daughter is now or will be 21 in September and is soon to be in her third year of collage. The schools tried some of that stuff with me and I never gave in about anything that I thought was wrong or took away from my freedoms even if I thought it would hurt my daughter at school. I taught or advised my daughter how to overcome or act regarding those times of trouble on her own and backed her up at all costs. Today she is in collage and still calls me when things get out of hand for her. But I tell her what I think, how I think she should deal with the problem and then I leave it up to her to use my advise or not.

if you were to sign it , and you didnt have the locks , sounds like bigger trouble.

it would be better to teach the children gun safety and all about the guns than lock them up. when you need a gun you dont have time to be looking for keys.

First why wouldn't a responsible parent/gun owner not keep gun thier guns locked up? I'm not sure why you took offense to that part. Its not like they can come in your house to see if you are locking up your guns. I think you made a little too much out of it, but thats just me. In anycase, monitor how your daughter is getting treated.

protection is why , it is better to teach them than keep them ignorant. There are numerous cases of children who have defended themselves because they were not ignorant. but you wont see many stories about that.