• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  159
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  295
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/26/1988

hi,

I thought I would share what I do when I am faced with temptation, sadness etc.

I pray and ask for a sign. If the sign comes as no, I simply shift my focus. I put this problem at the back of my mind and focus on something else. Surprisingly I don't feel sad anymore, and when I think about what I asked for after a few days, I either don't feel anything, or I am glad I didn't get my prayers answered. This is a basic psychological principle. When we are out with our friends/girlfriend, we feel happy to the core. Its not because we have no problems. It because we give our full attention to being with them. Why not use the same principle in all areas of our life?

I just thought I'll share my idea in case it helps someone.

Thank you for reading.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

That's great - except for one problem.

How do you know the "sign comes as a no"?

(I say problem because I have a problem with discerning such.)

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

Prayer has nothing to do with psychological principle.

Your friends/girlfriend may be able to distract you momentarily, but the problem is still there.

When a prayer is answered, the problem is resolved.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

When I read this:

Its not because we have no problems. It because we give our full attention to being with them. Why not use the same principle in all areas of our life?

I took it to mean your attention being on Jesus - why not consider yourself with Jesus wherever you go and whatever you do, the same way you pay attention to your friends?

That's not a bad idea, actually.

Guest lovinghim4ever

Prayer has everything to do with everything in a Christian's life.

Guest lovinghim4ever
When I read this:

Its not because we have no problems. It because we give our full attention to being with them. Why not use the same principle in all areas of our life?

I took it to mean your attention being on Jesus - why not consider yourself with Jesus wherever you go and whatever you do, the same way you pay attention to your friends?

That's not a bad idea, actually.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Prayer has everything to do with everything in a Christian's life.

LOL....I'm sorry, but you just have to explain to me how anyone could possibly compare the power of prayer to principles developed by humans who believe they understand how the human mind works.

More specifically, how is the power of prayer the equivalent of psychological principle, as the person who made the original post proposed?

Now what I said was" psychological principle", you said " a Christian's life, please explain to me how these to are equivalent or somehow related, given that the psychological community at large pretty much ignores all things spiritual.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  630
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/09/1990

LOL....I'm sorry, but you just have to explain to me how anyone could possibly compare the power of prayer to principles developed by humans who believe they understand how the human mind works.

More specifically, how is the power of prayer the equivalent of psychological principle, as the person who made the original post proposed?

Now what I said was" psychological principle", you said " a Christian's life, please explain to me how these to are equivalent or somehow related, given that the psychological community at large pretty much ignores all things spiritual.

Prayer is a cornerstone- Jesus prayed:

-Regularly (Luke 5:16)

-Early in the morning (Mark 1:35)

-After work (Mark 6:44-46)

-Before making a major decision (Luke 6:12-13)

-In the midst of popularity (Luke 5:515-16)

-In the midst of crisis (Luke 22:41-44)

"As is the business of tailors to make clothes and cobblers to make shoes, so it is the business of Christians to pray." -Martin Luther

How's business?

Prayer resonates all throughout Scripture. It's a heck of a lot more important than 'psychology'!

Matthew 6:5-9 "And when you pray..."

Luke 18:1 "Always pray..."

Colossians 4:2 "Devote yourselves to prayer"

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 "Pray continually"

Hebrews 4:16 "Approach the throne of grace with confidence"

If the God of the universe is really in control, and He is- and we can actually TALK to THE GOD OF THE UNIVERSE, WHO IS IN CONTROL... I'd definitely go to prayer and God over man's inventions any day

And I'd definitely agree that it is and should be a part of every minute of your life

I'm so busy, and I've got so many things to do today- better start off with 4 hours of prayer!

Guest lovinghim4ever

"As is the business of tailors to make clothes and cobblers to make shoes, so it is the business of Christians to pray." -Martin Luther

How's business?

Prayer resonates all throughout Scripture. It's a heck of a lot more important than 'psychology'!

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 "Pray "continually"

If the God of the universe is really in control, and He is- and we can actually TALK to THE GOD OF THE UNIVERSE, WHO IS IN CONTROL... I'd definitely go to prayer and God over man's inventions any day

And I'd definitely agree that it is and should be a part of every minute of your life

I'm so busy, and I've got so many things to do today- better start off with 4 hours of prayer!

Yea, what he said . . . :thumbsup::thumbsup::noidea:

How's business?

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 "Pray "continually"

Yea, what he said . . . :thumbsup::thumbsup::noidea:

I love it, you take a statement out of context, portray it as if I do not understand prayer, let someone else answer for you and you act like you won some sort of prize.

Did you even actually read the original post, understand it at all??

Sheesh