• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

You are right, Scarletprayers. I was raised in a United Methodist church and have a lot of problems with their doctrine. Right now we attend a Baptist church, but like you said, there are things that just aren't perfect about it.

<>< ><>

Nathele

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,194
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

I happened across one of their people at a local gas station a day or so ago. This guy sounded like a total stoned cultist with a canned answer for everything. These people don't even allow music in their services because there are no examples of music in the New Testament. Is anyone here familiar with the meatier portions of their teachings?

You could make it a little clearer that your thread refers to a rather peculiar sect with hang ups about musical instruments, rather than The Church of Christ in general.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

I do not think that there are any perfect denominations or perfect churches or perfect Christians in this world - maybe the next - but not this one. I've never seen a preacher I agreed 100% with or a church... My faith lays in God only...

2 Samuel 22:31

"As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is flawless. He is a shield for all who take refuge in him.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

They....

-believe you MUST be baptised in order to go to heaven (true)

-some, if not most, do NOT believe in Hell (totally false)

-do not restrict people with the 'Charismatic Gifts' and allow great freedom in their worship services for people use their 'gifts' of tongues, holy laughter, shakes, barking, etc. (totally false, they do not believe the gifts lasted past the Apostles)

-believe you CAN lose your salvation (which basically says your salvation is based on works) (and so does the Bible, once saved always saved is wrong IMO)

-do not believe in a rapture (some do some don't)

-do not believe in a millennium reign of Christ (totally false)

There is more I can list of their beliefs, but those are the ones I would consider deal breakers for me personally. No thanks!

Well considering what you don't actually know why bother?

And THIS is the type of nonsense you get when you asked people with preconceived ideas and prejudices about another demon. Are there fringe elements to the CoC, yep just like there are for any denom on the face of the earth today. How would every Baptist here like it if everybody linked them up with that fun filled hate group that calls itself Baptist and goes around protesting at funerals?

Want to know what a group really believes and preaches, do what I did, talk to Preachers, read up on them on their web sites, get them to send you their literature. Find out the truth instead of asking people, cause then your believing what people say and sometimes they don't know, or don't care, or that had a bad experience and it turned them off so they are down on the whole group.

I no longer consider myself CoC because I studied the Bible, I asked questions, I didn't accept what my family said, or what the Preacher said, cause I want to go to heaven and be with God, not go to building with a certain name chiseled over a door.

Guest joannelps
I happened across one of their people at a local gas station a day or so ago. This guy sounded like a total stoned cultist with a canned answer for everything. These people don't even allow music in their services because there are no examples of music in the New Testament. Is anyone here familiar with the meatier portions of their teachings?

I do know about the (no music thing) but the Bible says (make a joyful noise unto the Lord... :noidea:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  168
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

They....

-believe you MUST be baptised in order to go to heaven (true)

-some, if not most, do NOT believe in Hell (totally false)

-do not restrict people with the 'Charismatic Gifts' and allow great freedom in their worship services for people use their 'gifts' of tongues, holy laughter, shakes, barking, etc. (totally false, they do not believe the gifts lasted past the Apostles)

-believe you CAN lose your salvation (which basically says your salvation is based on works) (and so does the Bible, once saved always saved is wrong IMO)

-do not believe in a rapture (some do some don't)

-do not believe in a millennium reign of Christ (totally false)

There is more I can list of their beliefs, but those are the ones I would consider deal breakers for me personally. No thanks!

Will considering what you don't actually know why bother?

And THIS is the type of nonsense you get when you asked people with preconceived ideas and prejudices about another demon. Are there fringe elements to the CoC, yep just like there are for any denom on the face of the earth today. How would every Baptist here like it if everybody linked them up with that fun filled hate group that calls itself Baptist and goes around protesting at funerals?

Want to know what a group really believes and preaches, do what I did, talk to Preachers, read up on them on their web sites, get them to send you their literature. Find out the truth instead of asking people, cause then your believing what people say and sometimes they don't know, or don't care, or that had a bad experience and it turned them off so they are down on the whole group.

I no longer consider myself CoC because I studied the Bible, I asked questions, I didn't accept what my family said, or what the Preacher said, cause I want to go to heaven and be with God, not go to building with a certain name chiseled over a door.

Like you, I am also in the Vol state :noidea: , and I also was in the CoC but began to ask serious questions that the preacher just simply couldn't answer in a biblical fashion. My story is long and arduous, but after MUCH research, study, prayer and fasting, I know now that I am a TRUE Christian, and I study DAILY- not to argue my denominational doctrine, but simply to grow closer to God and know Him better. This does not mean that I am better than any of my spiritual siblings, but I would like to see more of my brothers and sisters throw off the denominational doctrines that keep them from a deep desire to know God through His only son- Jesus Christ.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.19
  • Days Won:  115

but I would like to see more of my brothers and sisters throw off the denominational doctrines that keep them from a deep desire to know God through His only son- Jesus Christ.

Some day real soon, this will happen. When this happens, we all will be ashamed.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

but I would like to see more of my brothers and sisters throw off the denominational doctrines that keep them from a deep desire to know God through His only son- Jesus Christ.

Some day real soon, this will happen. When this happens, we all will be ashamed.

Amen!

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  82
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  05/16/1959

The COC was formed in the 1830's from people who wanted to do throw off the differences of the denominations and unify under the simple message of the Bible. This, I believe, was a noble cause and something we should all try to do if we are ever to unify under Jesus Christ. Sometimes they are called Campbellites because of the the work that Thomas and Alexander Campbell did during the founding of this group. However, they do not hold to that name and actually resent it, because they do not follow the Campbells, merely agree with their wish to unify and break down the beariers of denominationalism...they wish to be non-denominational.

However, just as in most of our beliefs, many in the COC began to become dogmatic and legalistic in thier views, and the COC began to splinter into several "off shoots" based on differences...In essence, began to build barriers, rather than break them down. Some COC groups condemn other COC groups based on ridiculous legalistic arguments such as how many cups they use during the observance of the Lord's Supper, or whether or not more than one congregation can work together to support orphanages or benevolent enterprizes. These off-shoots can be very "pharisaical" binding the most insignificant issues and personal convictions on everyone else requiring them as a requirement for salvation. If you happen to talk with one of these groups...watch out! They can be quite insulting and self righteous.

On the other hand there are many COC groups who are not this way. Most of the COC I know are kind, loving, seekers of God. They believe in having Biblical Authority for everything they do, thus tend to not disregard any scripture as "insignificant" However, they recognize that they practice some things that are not specifically authorized as a means of expedience (church buildings, etc.) therein is the problem in the COC. Their ideas of what is expedient, and what is not authorized and therefore prohibited varies from COC congregation to congregation.

Each COC follows the NT example of Autotonomous leadership and therefore each COC is a "self-governing" entity based basically on the belief system of their elders. So...just because you may have a problem in one community with legalistic and "cult-like" behavior, you may go to the next COC and find a congregation of loving Christians who would have no problem with worshipping with you or accepting you as their brother/sister in Christ. While many COC's do not have instruments in their worship (they all have "music" ... a cappella) there are some that are called "Instrumental Church of Christ" The Christian church broke away from the COC in 1906 over the Instrument question...but because COC's are autonomous, some decided to keep instruments and the COC name.

So...to end this novel. You really can't say the COC believes this...or The COC believes that. They are a group of a very wide and various beliefs. There really is no website that speaks for all COC's, so beware of quoting such...the COC next door may not believe that way at all. I hope this helps dispell any confusion. There is no creed in the COC like there is in our churches...they are definetly not in total agreement about all of their lines of argument...especialy in the "onlt ones going to heaven" none of my COC friends believe that...though I'm sure you can find some that do.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  82
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  05/16/1959

BTW, If you have ever read any of the Max Lucado books...He is a COC pastor. Does he sound like a "Cold Stoned Cultist" to you? It is some of the most loving Christ-centered writing I've ever read.

I'd hate for my religious group to be judged on the actions of a few of my own legalistic members. They'd probably think all of us were cultists as well.