• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  159
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  295
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/26/1988

hi,

My mom says it all the time, "You can't have a good career and a good home life too. You gotta sacrifice either one".

People say, "You can't have everything in life".

Is that what God says? Can you tell me a few verses in which He says I can be successful in all areas of my life?

I am not greedy. If God tells me I can't have everything, I will listen to Him. But why should I give up because people say so?

Edited by GerdaHannah

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Just think of what Paul did. He built the early church to a large degree (OK, Ok, there were others I know), but at the same time he was a tent maker who said that he worked so as not to be a burden on others.

And there are dozens of people that I know, and am friends with, from church, and unsaved, that have healthy home lives and careers. It is not about not being able to do it, it is about balance, and how you manage it. And if you manage the balance from a biblical perspective it is quite possible to have both.

As too scriptures, i don't have the time to look them up right now, but I will, and I am sure that there are a few wise people on Worthy that will reply to this as well.

Blessings

hi,

My mom says it all the time, "You can't have a good career and a good home life too. You gotta sacrifice either one".

People say, "You can't have everything in life".

Is that what God says? Can you tell me a few verses in which He says I can be successful in all areas of my life?

I am not greedy. If God tells me I can't have everything, I will listen to Him. But why should I give up because people say so?

Hebrews 13

5 Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said,

Guest lovinghim4ever

"With God ALL things are possible" (Matthew 9:26).

"Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe,

ALL things are possible to him that believeth" (Mark 9:23).

ALL means . . . ALL!

:blink::blink::emot-hug:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

I may get into trouble here, but I think mothers of small children should stay home and raise them if at all possible. A job and kids are 2 full time jobs, not even counting the household, which is another full time job.

I know how hard it was for me, and I always had my mom to help. Many women don't have that.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

You are asking a question that women have pondered for years and years.... especially in modern times. When my children were born - I was able to be home most of the time to take care of them as babies and toddlers ... I also attended college and studied. I had wonderfully supportive and retired parents!! After graduating, one of my children became seriously ill and I gave all my time and attention until the illness was over. When my youngest child was born, I was studying once again. During these years, I worked school around being a homemaker. When the youngest started school - I sought the career for which I studied. Years later, I was sole support and the parent to my kids. So - I guess I did it "all". Sometimes I think back and wonder about those times.... my house was never as clean as I liked it - but, like Dad said - dirty enough to be happy and clean enough to be healthy... There came a pivotal point in my life where I prayed for God to lead me where I needed to be... and, He helped me decide that I needed to ditch a 'career' and get a 'job'. I needed to be home and help my aging parents and raise developing children. I have never regretted this decision. I worked hard - I watched youngsters grow and become good people. I enjoyed my parents in their last years. Yeah... it's a struggle and nobody, but nobody 'has it all' - I believe that is an illusion sold to women by magazines and commercials.... I look back now and there are very few projects, reports and business trips I can recall - but I remember almost every single picnic and day trip I took my kids on... I remember all their sports activities and the trophies they won, I remember many of the chess games with my Dad and the shopping trips with Mamma.... I think that is what I was supposed do. We all eventually have to determine what is important and what God would have us do. Blessings!!

Guest lovinghim4ever
like Dad said - dirty enough to be happy and clean enough to be healthy...

I love that! I think I'm going to start using that if you don't mind.

I believe that if person is truly happy they do have it ALL!

Just my two cents again!