• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  5

I agree with Eric's view also.

There is no advantage in Christians simply not reading ANYTHING because it might somehow tarnish their faith. Yet they spend all day watching the crap on TV.

This book is a positive work that I think will indeed work to bring many people to Christ. I mean we are arguing about its depiction of the Trinity in this instance, and all freaked out because one part of the Trinity presents itself as a women, however, the book goes on to say that the nature of God in the Trinity IS as a Father and male, God can show Himself however He chooses; but in this book at least it shows a Trinity, it seems to be the fashion today for Evangelicals to reject the Trinity as being too Catholic.

The coming apostasy which I now see invading the Evangelical Churches is a rejection of the Trinity, from that perspective this book is a very very good thing in fighting that heresy.

So odd to even think that the truth could be defended by an admitted work of fiction.

:)

That alone seems to be a very dangerous exaltation . . .

Have you read the book?

No. Why need I?

What is a fictional book going to give me that the Holy Spirit cannot through the scriptures?

However, even if I did start to read it, I would have put it down as soon as it began likening the Godhead to men . . . er, I mean women.

Isa 40:18 To whom then will ye liken God? or what likeness will ye compare unto
Him
?

Ps 50:21 . . . thou thoughtest that I was altogether such an one as thyself: but I will reprove thee, and set them in order before thine eyes.

I cannot accept the any abasement of God as man other than that which God literally did [nonfiction] Himself via His incarnation as the man Jesus Christ. To me it is blasphemy and I dare say none of the apostles would say otherwise.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Eric's view also.

There is no advantage in Christians simply not reading ANYTHING because it might somehow tarnish their faith. Yet they spend all day watching the crap on TV.

This book is a positive work that I think will indeed work to bring many people to Christ. I mean we are arguing about its depiction of the Trinity in this instance, and all freaked out because one part of the Trinity presents itself as a women, however, the book goes on to say that the nature of God in the Trinity IS as a Father and male, God can show Himself however He chooses; but in this book at least it shows a Trinity, it seems to be the fashion today for Evangelicals to reject the Trinity as being too Catholic.

The coming apostasy which I now see invading the Evangelical Churches is a rejection of the Trinity, from that perspective this book is a very very good thing in fighting that heresy.

Couple of thoughts on this. I, too cannot understand why some Christians reject any reading other than the bible. I tried to get my friend at work to read some women's devotionals, and she rejected them, citing she only reads the bible.

Second thought : Why is it when Hollywood makes a movie, any time a church is portrayed in a movie, it must be Catholic? Is that Hollywood's stereotype of the church or do they honestly beleive thats the only church in existence?

To clarify, I am not against reading Christian commentaries, works of devotions or even fiction conveying principles of righteous morality in more modern circumstances and settings.

I am against fictional books depicting the God head as a man or women, see my post above.

I am against fiction books and movies about the end times because they are the interpretation of an individual and present conclusions and assumptions as actually things that will happen in actual places. They establish false markers and milestone to which people will look instead praying and reading their own bibles and watching for the signs of His coming.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  188
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Feeling very frustrated reading this pontification by some. As far as only reading the Bible...amazing belief that truth or Truth can't be revealed in other writings. I read the Shack and didn't particularly like it, read it again to see why so many were wild about it, went to a book club discussion and admitted there were things that I liked, so had to lighten up about my criticism of it. I loved Papa being a large black woman. I loved that parameters were challenged.

I went to a women's retreat years ago and could hardly bear the prayers before lunch by a woman intoning over and over and over, "Father God," because I knew that approximately 50% of the women in any group have been sexually molested to some degree by a male. Some women just can't deal with a purely masculine God and the androgeny of Jesus is much safer than the Father figure in the Godhead. Papa as a woman isn't literally Biblically compatible, but it challenges the reader to step outside a culturally imposed box. Yes, the Scriptures present God in a masculine form but there are other references that are female, though pastors don't usually mention this.

Years ago I had a professor (Christian university) pray to Father/Mother God and it felt right. I redesigned my own personal paradigm as God the Father, Jesus the androgenous One, the Holy Spirit as the female aspect of the Trinity. The Holy Spirit as Comforter, Counselor, you get the idea. I don't defend this with specific Scripture and this may seem heretical to some, but our God is clever enough to cover the bases with aspects of completion and fullness. He would be all and all, male and female. The Shack presents startling ideas to some but pushing us to rethink things is an aspect of growth. How sad to avoid what might be challenging when it might be something that enlarges our perception. Fear isn't of the Lord. Courage and grace to glean Truth seem more in keeping with the nature of the God we aim to worship.

Be Careful What You Eat

Knowing God's Bread Is Wonder Bread

Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.

Jeremiah 15:16

Telling Us Of God

Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.

Isaiah 44:6

Of Calvary

Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Hebrews 12:2

Of Love

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:16

True

Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens;

Hebrews 7:25-26

And Man's Bread May Contain A Pinch Or Three Of Yeast To Spoil The Feast

[url=http://www.challies.com/media/The_Shack.pdf]The emotional power of The Shack depends upon a face-to-face encounter between God and man. God the Father is represented as Papa, an African-American woman; Jesus is in the form of a man of Middle-Eastern descent and the Holy Spirit is portrayed as an Asian woman named Sarayu. Yet the Bible is clear that God cannot and must not be portrayed in an image. It is impossible to make the creator a part of His creation and the Bible clearly and repeatedly forbids us from even attempting to do this.

No. Why need I?

What is a fictional book going to give me that the Holy Spirit cannot through the scriptures?

Nope didn't say you needed to, I was just asking. Sometimes (as I am sure you know) our Lord uses parables to teach us because we don't see what he wants to show us in Scripture.

The Lord teaches you with parables things you don't see in scripture? Do you mean parables outside of the Bible?

Can you show me one parable in the Bible about the Trinity?

Why would we need one outside of it? Is the Bible insufficient?

Feeling very frustrated reading this pontification by some. As far as only reading the Bible...amazing belief that truth or Truth can't be revealed in other writings. I read the Shack and didn't particularly like it, read it again to see why so many were wild about it, went to a book club discussion and admitted there were things that I liked, so had to lighten up about my criticism of it. I loved Papa being a large black woman. I loved that parameters were challenged.

Pontification by some . . . adding to the word of God by others.

I went to a women's retreat years ago and could hardly bear the prayers before lunch by a woman intoning over and over and over, "Father God," because I knew that approximately 50% of the women in any group have been sexually molested to some degree by a male. Some women just can't deal with a purely masculine God and the androgeny of Jesus is much safer than the Father figure in the Godhead. Papa as a woman isn't literally Biblically compatible, but it challenges the reader to step outside a culturally imposed box. Yes, the Scriptures present God in a masculine form but there are other references that are female, though pastors don't usually mention this.

Perhaps you can show some scriptures where Jesus exhibits feminine traits that makes Him much safer than the Father figure in the Godhead . . .

Plus, the culturally imposed box you are stepping outside of is the parameters of Holy Writ given by inspiration of God. If it was good and proper for Jesus to cry out Abba Father it is good enough for all.

Mr 14:36 And he
[Jesus]
said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from Me: nevertheless not what I will, but what Thou wilt.

Ro 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

Ga 4:6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.

"Abba" Father . . . not "Em" Mother.

How brazen to alter God's very word . . . don't you know we live by word?

Lu 4:4 And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.

Years ago I had a professor (Christian university) pray to Father/Mother God and it felt right. I redesigned my own personal paradigm as God the Father, Jesus the androgenous One, the Holy Spirit as the female aspect of the Trinity. The Holy Spirit as Comforter, Counselor, you get the idea. I don't defend this with specific Scripture and this may seem heretical to some, but our God is clever enough to cover the bases with aspects of completion and fullness. He would be all and all, male and female. The Shack presents startling ideas to some but pushing us to rethink things is an aspect of growth. How sad to avoid what might be challenging when it might be something that enlarges our perception. Fear isn't of the Lord. Courage and grace to glean Truth seem more in keeping with the nature of the God we aim to worship.

This professor did you no service and is rather an enemy of the truth . . . and you are right "this may seem heretical to some," even He who's Holy Writ you do alter. By your own admission "The Shack presents startling ideas to some but pushing us to rethink things is an aspect of growth," but not a benign growth.

2Co 11:14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

You have abandoned the sure word of prophecy and have not only given heed to fables, but now make your own because you

Be Careful Who You Put On Your Dance Card

Amen Brother Joe.

The emotional power of The Shack depends upon a face-to-face encounter between God and man. God the Father is represented as Papa, an African-American woman; Jesus is in the form of a man of Middle-Eastern descent and the Holy Spirit is portrayed as an Asian woman named Sarayu. Yet the Bible is clear that God cannot and must not be portrayed in an image. It is impossible to make the creator a part of His creation and the Bible clearly and repeatedly forbids us from even attempting to do this.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  221
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/21/1957

Joe quoted:

The emotional power of The Shack depends upon a face-to-face encounter between God and man. God the Father is represented as Papa, an African-American woman; Jesus is in the form of a man of Middle-Eastern descent and the Holy Spirit is portrayed as an Asian woman named Sarayu. Yet the Bible is clear that God cannot and must not be portrayed in an image. It is impossible to make the creator a part of His creation and the Bible clearly and repeatedly forbids us from even attempting to do this.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

But of course God has shown Himself as a human being it is also part of His nature, God is and was Jesus. To understand the Trinity we must realize that Jesus is God, and that Jesus walked on this earth as a man.

People did speak directly to God, people ate with God, people shared fellowship with God, people cried on God's literal shoulder, people touched God and hugged Him.

The Holy Spirit is God, the Holy Spirit is inside of our literal bodies, the Holy Spirit speaks to us.

So depicting God speaking to someone in some shape or form is not a problem.