• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

All things are possible with God.

Just because God could do something...doesn't mean he does...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  68
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

A lot of what I'm about to say has already been said but I'm throwing it out there again.

There were mentions of a great flood and a family surviving it in several different cultures. Hebrew time frame was a lot different then ours, actually, if I remember correctly from a book I read, they only counted months, so 950 years, and I think it was closer to 950 years, would probably actually been 950 months. I don't think people really started to count years the way we know them until the Greeks or the Mayans.

Peace out

~Beka

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Man was created to actually love forever. Because of sin we now age and die. Because God saw that mankind was seeking only evil and not Him, He flooded the Earth and shortened our lifespans.

In time we have lowered our own lifespan to just over 70 years on average, with sin and careless living and unhealthy eating.

Wow...a floatingaxe!! Haven't seen you in forever... :blink:

Does the bible say that Adam would have lived in his physical body forever? I don't believe it does. In the same way that we will live for eternity...so was Adam created. I don't think the bible says that this eternal life was intended in our earthly bodies.

Adam sinned pretty early on in the game...and people alledgedly continued to live in the sinful state for 1500-2000 years. Were they less sinful...or did God put up with it better back then? And technically, he spoke of life spans BEFORE the flood...and people continued to sin...and continued to live to a supposed 950 years old.

Glad to be back, Axxman!

I think that if Adam and Eve had not sinned, they would have been able to take from the fruit of the Tree of Life. But alas, they sinned and were prevented from doing so. Therefore death was their consequence, that God promised them--both spiritual and physical death.

Sin is responsible for God amending the lifespan.

Psalm 80:10

Seventy years are given to us!

Some even live to eighty.

But even the best years are filled with pain and trouble;

soon they disappear, and we fly away.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  58
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

sin didn't have such a big effect on inheritance because not much sin happened back then

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  871
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

I was not gonna reply, but this question is just begging to be asked... Why is Solomon's Temple being singled out as a historical "timemark" so to speak?

I saw a book awhile back that has created alot of hype concerning this. I haven't researched it as much yet though (only some bits of it online and the first chapter or so), it didn't set right with me at all, so I didn't buy the book. It touches on alot of new age garbage thinking. It's called Temple At The Center Of Time, it deals with alot of math and "other" things. If anyone has read it, give us your thoughts. :whistling:

• 1 month later...

All I know is that the Bible says that Noah lived 950 years, and then the Bible says that God shortened their lifespans, as has been stated several times already on this thread.

I don't really think that God giving them 900+ years really constitutes as a miraculous event. It may seem miraculous today because of our short lifespans and the current understanding that we have of the human body, but why would it be such a difficult thing for God to do?

I tend to beleive that God would not allow things into the Bible that were not true. I understand that there are obviously alot of false books like the Qaran or however you spell it, but I deffinatel1y think that, if we Christians are truly gifted with the indwelling Spirit (which I am wholeheartedly assured that we are) then the Holy Spirit would tell us if something were not true. I have such faith in the Holy Spirit of Christ that He would not lead me astray, especially concerning things found in the Word.

Translation or no, every writer had one thing in common: The guidance of The Holy Spirit.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  92
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Well don't you think a guy who lived to be over 900 years old would have left some evidence of his existence? I mean, clearly he was someone important. But theres never been any solid evidence of moses found, even by the hard-digging professional israeli archaeologists. And if he lived to be over 900 years old, how come no other civilization ever mentions him? The greeks, romans, egyptians... All of these people were around at the time and inhabiting that area, but none of these civilizations mention a moses. You'd think they would, because clearly a guy who can live that long and did such a thing as to take away all the jewish slaves of egypt (another thing apparently theres no evidence of) would have been of interest to them. I also understand he led jewish soldiers to conquer rival tribes and areas. But they didnt bring him up either. Clearly a man who could live to be almost 1000 years would be remembered in more than just a book written after his supposed death. And there's never even been a tomb of moses found either.

Also, the technical mechanics of living that long raise questions. Did god literally prevent his tissues from decaying, and his joint from wearing out, and his lungs healthy and his heart muscles intact every day? And then he just decided to stop and let moses die? When you look at all the little things that cause aging in people, it raises questions about what god did to prevent these, and which of these maladies his DID prevent. But there's no answer to this. No one bothered to write down just how moses was being kept alive.

I'm not sure if you are saying that Moses lived more than 900 years, or you are talking about two different persons. But Moses lived until 120 years old; the only scriptural reference to the burial of Moses is Deut. 34:5, 6, where it is recorded that the Lord buried His faithful servant and that his grave was not known to men.

Jude (jude 1:9) now reveals that the dead body was the subject of dispute between Christ and Satan.

From the fact that Moses appeared with Elijah on the Mount of Transfiguration it may be concluded that the Lord triumphed in the contest with the devil and raised Moses from his grave, So, if someone is looking for his body, is probably someone that does not know the Bible or does not believe in it. I believe in the Bible, so I believe that Moses was raised, making him the first known subject of Christ

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  92
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I have friends that have been there and your view of the Bible is what they were taught. I have two close people to me that dropped out of the school and sad it was because it was destroying their faith. I know many christians who have been there refer to it as "cemetary school" for it can basically kill your faith.

Well, to clear the air, I have not been to seminary...but I do find your response interesting. It might be worth starting a topic on because I am curious what horrible things they are teaching at Bible Colleges that kill a person's faith? I'm not sure what you perceive my "view of the bible" to be...or why "my view" is so bad.

Personally I believe that the Bible is the inspired word of God and in the original languages is pretty strait forward..... a 960 year old man really is a 960 year old man. If you study the human body you should know that your body completely rebuilds itself every 11 years with the exception of brain cells, and it is possible that they reproduced themselves at one time.

There is much of ancient history that is not contained in the Bible, just what is needed to introduce you to the Lord and develop a relationship with Him.

Which version exactly is the inspired one? Do you include the Septuagint in that as well? I will admit that I do not think there is anything "straight forward" about the transliterations of the bible. It requires alot of study, patience, prayer, understanding...and a heavy dose of the Holy Spirit...to discern alot of what we read in the Bible.

Now certainly I understand why people believe in 950 year old men...and I can accept that it is an issue of faith. What I don't understand is why people assume I lack faith, or have some kind of twisted "my view" of the bible because the concept of people living 950 years makes no sense to me at all...in a biblical context. I mean, we know that the bible is not a science book, or a step-by-step guide to how God created the Universe, and it is certainly not a calendar. So whether I believe Noah lived 95 years (using the decimal theory), or Noah lived 79 years (using the months theory), or Noah lived "???" years based on the theory that we don't know what unit of measurement they used 6500 years ago....It doesn't shake my faith in God at all.

Also...just curious...I thought the whole "body rebuilds itself" mantra was a new age Deepok Chopra thing. I know the body has a few regenerative qualities..but bone, heart, brain mass, even eye sight are all degenerative over time.

Wow, that is amazing that you say to have faith in God, even that you believed that the Bible has errors in translation, that is like admitting that the devil has more power than God if you think about it. The Bible is the only thing we have as Christians. The words in the Bible are not just words. You might see black and maybe red ink on white paper, or even just pixels on a computer screen, but it is much more than that. It is a message that is made of spirit and life with an unexplainable inherent potency and vitality.