• Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

Here is an interesting article:

ARCCHEOLOGISTS FIND "JOSEPH-ERA" COINS IN EGYPT

Archeologists have discovered ancient Egyptian coins bearing the name and image of the biblical Joseph, Cairo's Al Ahram newspaper recently reported. Excerpts provided by MEMRI show that the coins were discovered among a multitude of unsorted artifacts stored at the Museum of Egypt.

According to the report, the significance of the find is that archeologists have found scientific evidence countering the claim held by some historians that coins were not used for trade in ancient Egypt, and that this was done through barter instead.

The period in which Joseph was regarded to have lived in Egypt matches the minting of the coins in the cache, researchers said.

"A thorough examination revealed that the coins bore the year in which they were minted and their value, or effigies of the pharaohs [who ruled] at the time of their minting. Some of the coins are from the time when Joseph lived in Egypt, and bear his name and portrait," said the report.

The discovery of the cache prompted research team head Dr. Sa'id Muhammad Thabet to seek Koranic verses that speak of coins used in ancient Egypt.

"Studies by Dr. Thabet's team have revealed that what most archeologists took for a kind of charm, and others took for an ornament or adornment, is actually a coin. Several [facts led them to this conclusion]: first, [the fact that] many such coins have been found at various [archeological sites], and also [the fact that] they are round or oval in shape, and have two faces: one with an inscription, called the inscribed face, and one with an image, called the engraved face - just like the coins we use today," the report added.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid...icle%2FShowFull

A couple of questions come to my mind 1. How do they know it is the image of Joseph? Is it because of the name on them? 2. It says there is a year stamped on them. What year would that be? The Jewish year is based on creation, but I wonder how Egypt marked time.

<>< ><>

Nathele

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

Hmmm...the image of Joseph , Tzafnat-Pa'neach (Zaphnath-Paaneah)?

I'm a tad skeptical about that.

But very interesting nevertheless.

I'm with you His girl....

I also believe that any archaeological finds that have anything to do with Israel, or the time of the Israelites in Egypt, or that show the Temple Mount history and the Jewish Temple are generally systematically destroyed, hidden or incorrectly interpreted by many Islamists, in order to promote their own agenda and destroy any connection that promotes Jewish history.

When I have spoken to people who call themselves Palestinians in Israel...everyone has followed the party line, and denied there has ever been a Jewish Temple where the Mosque of Omar now stands.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

Awesome.

This along with the recent find in the UK makes for some interesting thoughts and conversation.

I guess they had been just sitting around the museum for a while. I really am curious about the date. What year? How did the Egyptians reckon dates? I might have to go d some research on this.

<>< ><>

Nathele

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I was trying to look for a report that might have included a picture.

I found another article with more information.

In there it linked to Excerpts from the Al-Ahram report, as translated by Middle East Media Research Institute (MEMRI). Read this report for more info.

In there, it says this:

Among these, there was one coin that had an inscription on it, and an image of a cow symbolizing Pharaoh's dream about the seven fat cows and seven lean cows, and the seven green stalks of grain and seven dry stalks of grain. It was found that the inscriptions of this early period were usually simple, since writing was still in its early stages, and consequently there was difficulty in deciphering the writing on these coins. But the research team [managed to] translate [the writing on the coin] by comparing it to the earliest known hieroglyphic texts

Here is a blog with some photos http://jwest.wordpress.com/2009/09/25/josephs-coin-in-egypt/

<>< ><>

Nathele

The so-called evidence presented is interesting on several accounts:-

The coins have been in the museum for ages...wrongly believed to have been some sort of magical amulets or charms.

The Egyptians through the centuries have tried to eradicate all mention of the Israelites, and what they did to them...primarily I presume because of the humiliation they suffered at the hands of G-d when Moses led them out of Egypt....

The only reason that these 'coins' are now being considered as proof of Joseph...is to endorse Koranic verses in which the word 'coins' was apparently used....when evidence had previously suggested that coins were not used in Egypt at that time.

It is very interesting because whoever made the discovery has sort of shot themselves in the foot...because by demonstrating the existence of Joseph, they are in fact now indicating the possibility of the Israelites subsequently sojourning and later being captive in Egypt.

Here is a telling exerpt from Magnus Magnussons pitiful attempt at biblical archaeology (original host of Mastermind).

"Despite the mass of contemporary records that have been unearthed in Egypt, not one historical reference to the presence of the Israelites has yet been found there. Not a single mention of Joseph, the Pharaoh's 'Grand Vizier'. Not a word about Moses, or the spectacular flight from Egypt and the destruction of the pursuing Egyptian army."

Magnus Magnusson (The Archaeology of the Bible Lands - BC, p43)

I noticd that, too. It was brought to light in order to prove the Koran. I wonder what other items are hidden in vaults somewhere.

<>< ><>

Nathele

I noticd that, too. It was brought to light in order to prove the Koran. I wonder what other items are hidden in vaults somewhere.

<>< ><>

Nathele

Me too...I think when closed/suppressed minds look at archaeological finds, they only interpret the finds according to their mis-interpretation of history, and cannot see anything else....a bit like an evolutionist mind-set.