• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I have a friend who maintains that every word we utter to each other should be a positive, every word.

Like guys do, we were joking with each other the other day and one of my friends called my brother an airhead (well as much as I love him, he is). I mean he was supposed to buy the food for our last Mozambique trip. He arrived at my house late and we were leaving early, nothing open, so we went to Mozambique with tea, coffee, sugar, long life milk and a big packet of corn flakes for four days. Where we go there are hardly roads let alone shops. So yeah he is an airhead!

But every word, come on! My friend says that which we speak to each other we eventually believe. If that is the case we have a problem........ Is this even scriptural?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

I have a friend who maintains that every word we utter to each other should be a positive, every word.

Like guys do, we were joking with each other the other day and one of my friends called my brother an airhead (well as much as I love him, he is). I mean he was supposed to buy the food for our last Mozambique trip. He arrived at my house late and we were leaving early, nothing open, so we went to Mozambique with tea, coffee, sugar, long life milk and a big packet of corn flakes for four days. Where we go there are hardly roads let alone shops. So yeah he is an airhead!

But every word, come on! My friend says that which we speak to each other we eventually believe. If that is the case we have a problem........ Is this even scriptural?

The bible tells us that we will be held accountable for every word we speak, but I believe the test will be whether that are full of grace and truth

The bible tells us that we will be held accountable for every word we speak, but I believe the test will be whether that are full of grace and truth

Yeah I get that, but surely good natured joking between friends is Ok? Some of the stuff I read in posts, I understand we will be held accountable for, but how far do we take this?

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

Ephesians 4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

1 Th.5:11 Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as you do.

Ephesians 4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

1 Th.5:11 Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as you do.

Well I agree with both of you, but venture to declare that we don't actually follow the scriptures to the letter in many of our posts do we? (I have been guilty of this, so no judgement from me, just an observation). Maybe we should be changing our ways some?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  10/24/1969

The only words we should speak should be edifying...it also says never to call your brother an idiot...it says what a man thinks, so is he...your friend is very right, but yes it is difficult to live up to...but isn't the rest of Christianity difficult to live up to as well?

It is believed that a blessing is a blessing and a curse is a curse...calling someone an airhead is definitely not a blessing...bt say it to a child often enough and they can very well grow up to become it because that is who they believe themselves to be over time.

The conclusion I am leading to is gaining a good foundation here! And I do not disagree with you on this. :whistling:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  415
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/02/1945

Hey Fez, lighten up and don't worry about it! I believe God looks at the heart anyhow...you meant no malice, so.....so what? These frowners and nay-sayers, are they human? I have a sister-in-law who asks God constantly about what she should do, it's pretty much overkill I think. Like, well Lord, a poisonous spider bit me, should I go to the dr.? (This really happened). Or, Lord what should I wear to church, etc. etc. I told her, just LIVE, Imy, just LIVE. God gave you a brain to use. Walk with the Lord and he will guide you.

Yes we are going to be accountable for our words. However, I don't know of one christian who is so holy, narrow minded, etc. that they wouldn't ever laugh or enjoy life, even joke sometimes. From my point of view sometimes people strain at a gnat and swallow a camel. God bless.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  82
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/16/1959

Matthew 18:15

"If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over.

Sometimes negative words bring positive results... if they are done in the spirit of Love and not just to be ugly, or build ourselves up by tearing someone else down.

Hey Fez, lighten up and don't worry about it! I believe God looks at the heart anyhow...you meant no malice, so.....so what? These frowners and nay-sayers, are they human? I have a sister-in-law who asks God constantly about what she should do, it's pretty much overkill I think. Like, well Lord, a poisonous spider bit me, should I go to the dr.? (This really happened). Or, Lord what should I wear to church, etc. etc. I told her, just LIVE, Imy, just LIVE. God gave you a brain to use. Walk with the Lord and he will guide you.

Yes we are going to be accountable for our words. However, I don't know of one christian who is so holy, narrow minded, etc. that they wouldn't ever laugh or enjoy life, even joke sometimes. From my point of view sometimes people strain at a gnat and swallow a camel. God bless.

Ahhhh.....sense begins to prevail!

And God Bless you too Miss Elly