IGNORED

How Much Do You Know About roman Catholicism?

princess2000

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  177
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

will being a good catholic girl get you to heaven or will beliving on The Lord Jesus Christ get you life everlasting?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  388
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  10/02/1989

When you say that you are a good Catholic girl, what exactly do you mean?

Psalm 53:2-3

God looks down from heaven

on the children of man

to see if there are any who understand,

who seek after God.

They have all fallen away;

together they have become corrupt;

there is none who does good,

not even one."

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  68
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Wow, this got popular fast, but it seems the biggest question I'm getting asked is one that I can't answer correctly because if I say yes you guys will all jump on me quoting scripture left and right and if I say no you guys will jump on me quoting scripture left and right.

So let's clarify, some of the questions I'm asking, the correct answer may not be on any site other then a Roman Catholic one, no links to said websites will be posted. We learn from both of us answering and asking questions.

Now, I think I will get to heaven because I lead a good enough life and I go to church most every week. I could go on but to be honest that's the important part.

And now one for you Beka.

"Why is it necessary to confess ones sins in a confessional, to another man, when Jesus stated Mar 11:25 "And whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses."

Mar 11:26 [but if you do not forgive, neither will your Father who is in heaven forgive your trespasses.] - ESV

and :- Jas 5:16 "Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working." ESV

Blessings :noidea:

Well Fez, you said it yourself...or rather you quoted it yourself, "confess your sins to one another...that you may be healed." I've been taught, growing up that it's not the priest we're talking to, but rather Jesus, the priest is just acting in Jesus' place.

"Those who approach the Sacrament of Penance obtain pardon from God's mercy for the offense committed against him, and are, at the same time, reconciled with the Church which they have wounded by their sins and which by charity, by example and by prayer labors for their conversion." (4) - CCC 1422

Only God forgives sins. (39) Since he is the Son of God, Jesus says of himself, "The Son of man has authority on earth to forgive sins" and exercises this divine power: "Your sins are forgiven." (40) Further, by virtue of his divine authority he gives this power to men to exercise in his name. (41) - CCC 1441

In imparting to his apostles in his own power to forgive sins the Lord also gives them the authority to reconcile sinners with the Church....

The words bind and loose mean: whomever you exclude from your communion, will be excluded from communion with God; whomever you recieve anew into your communion, God will welcome back into his. Reconciliation with the church is inseparable from reconciliation with God. - CCC 1444-1445

Confession to a priest is an essential part of the sacrament of Penance: "All mortal sins of which penitents after a diligent self-examination are concious must be recounted by them in a confession, even if they are most secret and have been committed against the last two precepts of the Decalouge; for these sins sometimes wound the soul more grievously and are more dangerous than those which are committed openly." (54) - CCC 1456

(4) - LG 11 (some weird double s thing) 2

(39) - Cf. Mk 2:7

(40)Mk 2:5,10; Lk 7:48

(41)Cf. Jn 20:21-23

(54) Council of Trent 915510: DS 1680 (ND1626; cf. Ex 20:17; Mt 5: 28)

Peace out

~Beka

P.S.: is that enough bible proof for you? I didn't even think of comparing everything biblicly, thanks I plan on doing that, of course I also didn't know that the CCC would have that many bible quotes in it, I've only just learned how to use it.

P.P.S: CCC Second Edition copyright 1992 Liberia Editrice Vaticana (I guess this is the press name, I don't know)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.98
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

"Now, I think I will get to heaven because I lead a good enough life and I go to church most every week. I could go on but to be honest that's the important part."

Oh, Beka, the confession question can wait! The comment you made above is so much more important when it comes to your salvation! I could quote a dozen scriptures pointing out the danger you are in here! But I won't as I am sure you know most of them. (if you need examples, just ask)

But, "a good enough life" and "going to church most every week", does not in any way, any small way, mean you are saved or justified, or sanctified! Is that the answer you are going to give God when you eventually meet Him? Please say no!

There is so much more for you to enjoy under His grace, and leading a good life and going to church is a minuscule part of what He has to offer.

Love and blessings!

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.26
  • Days Won:  19

Grace t you,

Beka,

Quantify, "living a Good Life," what is the standard? How many times do you have to be nice to your neighbor, help the old lady across the street, and go to Church to qualify for heaven?

Peace,

Dave

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.88
  • Days Won:  33

Now, I think I will get to heaven because I lead a good enough life and I go to church most every week. I could go on but to be honest that's the important part.

Beka, that is works salvation. Salvation is not of man. It is ...

Eph 2:8-9 MKJV For by grace you are saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.

You are not saved by living a good enough life, or having a perfect church attendance.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.91
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Hey Beka -

In the book of Acts, when people asked the Apostles what they needed to do to be saved, what did the Apostles answer?

(If you need help finding the answer, click here - on-line Bible verse search for "be saved".)

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

Hi princess,

There are certainly a lot of details we could ask about the RCC. I believe the RCC is a Christian Church and has many true believers in it, however I do disagree at a basic level with some of its doctrines.

I would like to ask you, what is the role of Faith in Christ for a Roman Catholic? Is it important for a Catholic to know who Christ is, what He did and to have a personal faith in Him and Him alone for their salvation.

We Protestants believe that living a good life IS important but that life is a result of faith in Christ, it flows from the Holy Spirit who is inside of Christians who have faith in Christ. We believe that we cannot earn anything from Christ, not because we don't believe in good works, but because scripture is really clear that we can do no good outside of Christ, that we were dead in our sins before He rose from the dead, all of our faith must be given totally to that fact of the Risen Christ who forgives all of our sins.

Sorry for the run on, but I would be really interested in your view of faith and its role in the salvation of a Catholic?

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.87

I have to agree about having "Catholic/Protestant" comparisons and debates..... about 6 years ago, there was a huge blow up along this same type of subject matter.... there were people coming on to this site and bashing others, back and forth, but, when people from here would go to the web site the others visited from the same courtesy was not given...

you have noticed that when you post here, it is posted almost instantly.... when people would go there, it might be several days (sometimes) before their post was registered, and when it was, there were a dozen plus replies bashing that poster....

that is one reason the rulings have been set like they have, to keep things more Christ Like....

my self, my back ground goes.....

Catholic (traditional with and without latin, and contemporary), Presbyterian (conservative and contemporary, Southern Baptist, Pentecostal (AoG and Non-denom, not UPC), to just a BELIEVER IN CHRIST, IN GOD, IN GODS WORD IN THE WORKINGS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT AND WELL, IF THE WORD OF GOD SAYS IT, THAT SETTLES IT..... no matter what it says...

I do hope that this all goes well...... just a kind and loving reminder..... keep the comments in love, if I would feel bad if some one said it to me, I will not say it..... ( I hope ).....

blessings to all

mike

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  828
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  12/28/1980

The pope Benedict - ready for next question princess