IGNORED

Were the Twelve and the Seventy Unique ?

Franky67

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  187
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/12/1925

What is the teaching of most of you here regarding the disciples that were sent out by Jesus ?

Were they gifted with powers and insight that no believer since then has been given?

Were they "set apart" different from all other believers?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  183
  • Birthday:  09/28/1962

The disciples where just people like you and me, given a unique oportunity, just as we are. They where no different to us, simple people thrown into something new and very different. They had the same issues we did, they lacked understanding like we do, they had lots of grace just like us and made lots of mistakes, just look at he number of times Jesus had to take them aside to expllain things to them. But we have far more than they ever did, and we will do far greater things then they ever did. The time is now. Our Lords day is soon upon us. The disciples had there day, its now the day for the sons of God to rise up and show the power of God to this dying world.

In His Love

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,345
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1961

Hi Franky, IMO when Jesus empowered and sent out the seventy the Holy Spirit backed them up when they needed, but when they returned they were powerless again.

Later Jesus commands them to wait after his death and resurrection, in Jerusalem untill they recieve power from on high. It is recorded that the Holy Spirit came upon them as tongues of fire and they were greatly empowered such that 3000 were converted that day, and after that experience they moved in great power.

Charles Finney a man steeped in the power of God, says that command is for all christians. We are to wait in our "jerusalem" untill we get Gods power.

IMO it is not indifferent or inactive waiting, but a seeking God and His face, repenting of all known sin, asking for power for service.

So far to my shame and detriment i have not done this.

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  447
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  10/26/1971

I don't think they were unique from believers today. Jesus taught that the miracles will continue as long as believers are still on the earth.

(John 14:12 [KJV])

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater [works] than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

(Acts 2:39 [KJV])

For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, [even] as many as the Lord our God shall call.

The only legitimate question is: why aren't we seeing a whole lot more miracles today.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.20
  • Days Won:  115

The Seventy were chosen by Christ, as were the 12 disciples from the beginning. To be chosen, you had to be willing to be His disciple. You can read in Luke 9:57-62 the cost of being His disciple. They were not just the every day Christian, but dedicated.

Guest shiloh357
What is the teaching of most of you here regarding the disciples that were sent out by Jesus ?

Were they gifted with powers and insight that no believer since then has been given?

Were they "set apart" different from all other believers?

It would be more accurate to say that the original disciples/apostles were/are unique in terms of their experience, calling and ministry. It would make sense that the gifts that accompany them would be unique (such as people getting healed under Peter's shadow).

That is not to say that God does not operate supernaturally through believers today, but no one today possesses the unique ministry that they had.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.22
  • Content Count:  4,274
  • Content Per Day:  4.77
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

Then the Holy Spirit moved upon the Disciples and the 70. We, on the other hand, have the Holy Spirit indwelling us. The reason that great healing is not occurring today is because we do not have the faith of a mustard seed. We have faith, but there is also doubt; this doubt prevents the Holy Spirit from doing all He can do through us.

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  187
  • Birthday:  05/12/1925

Then the Holy Spirit moved upon the Disciples and the 70. We, on the other hand, have the Holy Spirit indwelling us. The reason that great healing is not occurring today is because we do not have the faith of a mustard seed. We have faith, but there is also doubt; this doubt prevents the Holy Spirit from doing all He can do through us.

Absolutely

Guest shiloh357

God is moving supernaturally today. I can't imagine anyone thinking He is not. The problem is that we get presumptuous in our assumption that because God did something through the apostles, that He should do the same thing through us. God is not obligated to us for that. It is very dangerous to take stories of the apostles and make doctrines out of them.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.22
  • Content Count:  4,274
  • Content Per Day:  4.77
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

God is moving supernaturally today. I can't imagine anyone thinking He is not. The problem is that we get presumptuous in our assumption that because God did something through the apostles, that He should do the same thing through us. God is not obligated to us for that. It is very dangerous to take stories of the apostles and make doctrines out of them.

Did I do that?