• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,345
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1961

surely abuse is grounds also?

Hi daisy, although im not the OP, i will venture to answer your question.

Despite the commonly held positions for divorce today, we are only allowed to seperate, but divorce is not optional for Christ followers or unbelivers.

I do not say this without proof but before answering anyone I ask they read the proof already provided by Rick Friedrichs, see above post.

I have an idea. instead of linking us to the words and thoughts of another, why not post your own thoughts and back them up with the word of God.

Hi RG, i would do this but i cant see the merits of trying to reproduce what another more able person has already spent hours producing.

If anyone wants to prayerfully read it first and can see error, i will gratefully like to consider these and try to disprove them if i think not.

One thing i am not allowed to do is subject my opinion to anothers unless it is proved to my mind, even if i am wrong i cannot do other than go with what makes sense untill it is proved to my senses. Anything else amounts to idolatry and leads to insanity.

I am intrigued why you would take issue with me posting a link to where my thoughts are coming from, many others do so here and I have not posted in a debate or teaching topic.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  444
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/29/1966

Matthew 7:1-3 (King James Version)

Matthew 7

1Judge not, that ye be not judged.

2For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

3And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

NO one can keep the law. If you have gotten a divorce The Lord Jesus Christ will and has forgiven you if you ask him.

People who say you have lost your salvation or will not go to heaven Because you are divorced Have Judged you refer to Matthew 7:1-3

Now here is the Law i did not say it Jesus Has. the sin of adultery has been raised to this:Matthew 5:27-29 (New International Version)

Adultery

27"You have heard that it was said, 'Do not commit adultery.' 28But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.

This also goes for a women looking at a men! Well most men are in a lot of trouble. BUT PRAISE BE TO MY LORD and KING JESUS CHRIST Who Takes a way my Sins.

Matthew 19:7-9 (New International Version)

7"Why then," they asked, "did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?"

8Jesus replied, "Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. 9I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery."

1 Corinthians 7 (New International Version)

Marriage

1Now for the matters you wrote about: It is good for a man not to marry. 2But since there is so much immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband. 3The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. 4The wife's body does not belong to her alone but also to her husband. In the same way, the husband's body does not belong to him alone but also to his wife. 5Do not deprive each other except by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. 6I say this as a concession, not as a command. 7I wish that all men were as I am. But each man has his own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that.

8Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I am. 9But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

10To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. 11But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife.

12To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. 13And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. 14For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.

15But if the unbeliever leaves, let him do so. A believing man or woman is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace. 16How do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or, how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?

17Nevertheless, each one should retain the place in life that the Lord assigned to him and to which God has called him. This is the rule I lay down in all the churches. 18Was a man already circumcised when he was called? He should not become uncircumcised. Was a man uncircumcised when he was called? He should not be circumcised. 19Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing. Keeping God's commands is what counts. 20Each one should remain in the situation which he was in when God called him. 21Were you a slave when you were called? Don't let it trouble you

:noidea:
surely abuse is grounds also? :noidea:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

I'd think it would be, but can you show me where this is in the Bible?

Then we get into physical or emotional abuse. Inevr had physical abuse, but plenty of emotional abuse that was far worse than any physical abuse could have been, and with more than one!

But where is this?

I'd think it would be, but can you show me where this is in the Bible?

Then we get into physical or emotional abuse. Inevr had physical abuse, but plenty of emotional abuse that was far worse than any physical abuse could have been, and with more than one!

But where is this?

If your spouse is a unbeliever let him or her go it is better for you.

1 Cor 7:15But if the unbeliever leaves, let him do so. A believing man or woman is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace. 16How do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or, how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?

My answer if the spouse is a believer: Prayer and Counseling!

I have never been divorced but i have been a real jerk to my wife. The Lord corrects me and i apologize to her, and she forgives me. and vice versa.

I hope this helps. Remember Jesus already paid for our sins and made us white as snow!Isaiah 1:18 (King James Version)

18Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

If You Spouse is A unbeliever And they want to leave let them, it will be better for you the Believer.

Romans 8:27-29 (King James Version)

27And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

28And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. 11/02/09

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  519
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  04/28/1980

This issue, is so controversial in the church. I believe God hates divorce. I hate divorce yet I am divorced. Most divorce is caused because of sin on one or the others part. Adultry being the main cause, but also abuse both mental and physical. Would Jesus want a woman to stay in a relationship were she is scared and beaten. Maybe we should look at why these couples get married in the first place. Ilook at my life and see that my sin led me into a marriage, that ended terribly. I think the bible is clear that if you divorce than you are free to re marry if it is because of adultry. Jesus himself said it himself. Although even if the divorce was not because of adultry, many adults even Christian find themselves in the arms of another. This is not right, but certainly happens more than we want to admit. I myself am no saint when it comes to this. Also if we marry again and are told we are commiting adultry, is it right to divorce again. I think not. Marriage as the bible says is such a mystery or maybe its simpler than we think. I can a woman I love her and wish to take her to be mine forever and she could respond in like manner with no witnesses, other than God. Does this make the two married? Possibly In the beggining did we have marriage services as we do now. Or was marriage a more mutual agreement between a man and a woman and of course God to keep each other till death. Also why would God want a man or woman being young and divorced to suffer in celebicy and cause them to sin even greater with there lust? My conscience is clear make know mistake I am a drty rotten sinner saved by grace, always trying to seek out the truth but I think I am right on this.

:whistling:
surely abuse is grounds also? :laugh:

This really gets into a slippery slope.

Who defines what "abuse" is? Do both partners contribute to the abuse (intentionally or otherwise)?

I don't know that I can agree to this statement as is. I know a woman who divorced her husband because she said he "abused" her. That was baloney. She was a selfish nag that pushed him away. Her final straw was finding a Sport Illustrated Swimsuit edition magazine in his truck which she called "adultery"

The problem is that people are rushing into a marriage for their lust. They think they can "fix" it later and are just lonely enough to flip a coin. Then they find out that making two people into one flesh isn't easy and aren't prepared for the hard work of submission and humbling themselves.

I don't think there is a good excuse for divorce except for violence. Period. Not adultery, not abuse, not supposed irreconcilable differences. It's not the end of a bad relationship but the beginning of a worse one.

There are good reasons for a divorce to happen and God's grace can cover a multitude of offenses when it happens. It does take 2 willing people to make it work but I've heard so many testimonies of bad marriages being submitted to the Lord and then turned around.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  519
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  04/28/1980

I agree that violence is a good reson to divoce Yod, although Jesus never mentioned it, He did mention adultry as a reason for divorce which you say should not be a reason.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

Celibacy is the only answer man.

I agree that violence is a good reson to divoce Yod, although Jesus never mentioned it, He did mention adultry as a reason for divorce which you say should not be a reason.

He didn't say you "must" get divorced for any reason. He only allowed exceptions "for the hardness of your hearts"

But the protection of life always over-rules every ordinance and law. A man who is violent against his family is not a man. Yeshua wouldn't have to address that because the law would get rid of such a man before a divorce would.