Church Gimmick Fills Pews

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

And Axxman, I've never been to a mega church but would love to go to see what it's about!!!

LOL..we don't call ourselves a mega-church, its just what people say. We are big...there are pros and cons to that. I don't think it was ever the plan to get as big as we got...but God kept sending more people our way and we accepted them and built a big house to fit us all in...lol.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

No baptism at the wedding- I just saw it there- didn't mean to insinuate that- not my cup of tea but don't see anything wrong with it - but I do with the story here - the gambling with the tithe shows indiscretion in my opinion. I don't go to a traditional church because I like the music but I go to glorify God with songs and hymns that glorify Him. If we start to go to church in order that we may get something then we are not there for the right reason- whether that is money or to receive special prayer or hear music we like,

Really Id rather be in a church that has five members who came together to worship Him and glorify Him than 2600 member church trying to win the lottery.

Again Brother, thats a preference. Its not a bad preference, but just because it is your preference doesn't mean everybody has to share it. The church I attend glorifies God with songs and hyms that glorify Him. They just do it with different musical styles. I go to church to give and receive. Hopefully my church receives as much from me, as I get from them. I go for a myriad of reasons...pretty much everything there I enjoy...including the music, the prayers, the food, the sermons, the friends, and whatever else they might have going on.

You don't think a 2600 member church can come together to worship Him and glorify Him because the church decides to bless a family with a gift during these tough economic times? I'd rather go there than join a group of 5 people who were afraid to be generous and bless someone financially...there's a reason there are only 5 of them... :thumbsup:

• Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

Come on, Axx, you act like you're surprised by all this. Why would you be? Isn't it the same old, same old...'if everyone doesn't do everything the way I do then they're wrong' spiel that repeated on this forum about nearly every subject? It grows tiresome, eh? :thumbsup:

Yeah...I kinda do take it personally because I hear alot of the same stuff about my church. My church is huge (membership-wise) therefore everything we do is called into question. "Oh, your a mega-church? You must be an apostate!"

I guess it shouldn't surprise me...but I do wanna stick up for them if I can. (Seems I've been sticking up for the "wrong" people alot lately... :( )

One should hold to their principles as long as they don't contradict the Word of God. If you believe in your church then support them! My church promotes the rodeo lifestyle (it's a Cowboy Church), plays heavy rock music during church services and is very much into fund raising for missionaries and many other things. They are STILL a Bible based church though. And attendance is through the roof. Times change and, if the old ways don't attract the worshippers, then the church has to try different things. As long as they're Bibical, there's no harm.

What I like about my church is that it is about family. We are small compared to our relating churches (2000 - 3000 or so), and comprise of about 60 families. And it is this that has attracted people to the church. They say that they just feel at home from day one.

One wonderful problem we have is that we have raised leaders, many who leave to go and start churches, or take over churches who for various reasons are struggling. The home group I host for instance has grown to 23 people when everyone attends (which is not always), and we are now seeking answers as to if we should start an evening service instead of the home group. He will answer in good time..... we also really need new leaders to be shown to us in our church, we are spread thin on the ground in all that we do at the moment. People are getting tired and we need more leaders :o

What is a Cowboy Church - I've heard of them, but never been to one - it sounds like great fellowship!! I'd love to visit Fez's church, too. And Axxman, I've never been to a mega church but would love to go to see what it's about!!!

A Cowboy Church is a rodeo oriented church; the one I attend is quite upscale but understated. The cross over the pulpit is fashioned from a rough hewn tree and,yes, they DO baptize in a horse trough! The grounds are nice but surrounded by barns and corrals. My pastor is a former rodeo clown who found God thirty years ago and the congregation includes former mayors and a couple of state Senators. It a Bible based church that doesn't preach any of the touchy feely stuff but straight fire and brimstone.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  828
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  12/28/1980

I have no problem with a large church I think there are around 600 members at mine, some are E and C Christians - it's not that - it is the fact that there is no discretion in helping out this person financially. I mean if a family needed help they should approach the pastor or priest and tell them that way the pastor can show discretion in using those funds and it doesn't get broadcasted around the church so and so just received money - I have been in this situation in which

my daughter needed medical attention and I couldn't afford it and the church so graciously helped me out - but this was at the discretion of the priest - he didn't broadcast this but was there when I needed it. Now if I had a new car and a big house and was just trying to get something for free it would be wrong for the rector to give me money. Sometimes when someone needs help the last thing they need is money- give a crackhead money and they will burn it up-

I just think this is wrong on so many levels - but one thing is true the church needs to help those in need in our communities by feeding and clothing and ministering.

I have no problem with a large church I think there are around 600 members at mine, some are E and C Christians - it's not that - it is the fact that there is no discretion in helping out this person financially. I mean if a family needed help they should approach the pastor or priest and tell them that way the pastor can show discretion in using those funds and it doesn't get broadcasted around the church so and so just received money - I have been in this situation in which

my daughter needed medical attention and I couldn't afford it and the church so graciously helped me out - but this was at the discretion of the priest - he didn't broadcast this but was there when I needed it. Now if I had a new car and a big house and was just trying to get something for free it would be wrong for the rector to give me money. Sometimes when someone needs help the last thing they need is money- give a crackhead money and they will burn it up-

I just think this is wrong on so many levels - but one thing is true the church needs to help those in need in our communities by feeding and clothing and ministering.

Absolutely, the church is to feed the flock spiritually and help those in need, including feeding them literally if the need is there.

You should have seen me at the cowboy wedding - you talk about someone sticking out like a sore thumb- hahaha I come from a pretty high church style worship. I had never seen anything like it. The pastor wore a cowboy hat and wrangler jeans and the groom and all the groomsmen had dip in there mouths - but what can I say? It was a celebration and we all had fun at the wedding and the service was very much in line with scripture.

They had a cross made out of horseshoes welded together .

They had a cross made out of horseshoes welded together .

Who??? :rolleyes:

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

Hi Onelight....sorry computer was down for a day...beastly bugs!

I don't think you understood that I was not quoting Isaiah 6:8....I was referencing a members post who goes by that name...just check back a ways....so there ain't any twisting of Scripture going on...and I am aware that any of us can be misled and make mistakes from the Pastor to the newest convert....and we do.

Sorry, I say what looked like scripture and I immediately went there. My bad!

No worries Bro...I guessed that was the case.

I did not know I needed to reply directly to the Scripture you gave from Ephesians, where you equate what this Pastor is attempting as being party to vs 14:'THE TRICKERY OF MEN'...it is in the context of deliberate deception, and I think that is a very harsh judgment on the guy. I don't really see it as gambling either, because no one is losing any money or getting addicted to something that takes over their lives.

I have to ask, do you think Christ would do such a thing? Are we not to be His ambassador, to be like Him?

No I have to say I can't see The L-rd in His capacity as Messiah and Rabbi operating along these lines...but maybe Pete would have given it a go.

You and I might not do what this Pastor is doing....but we don't know him, we don't know if he is just interested in making headlines or proud of getting a large congregation or is actually trying out an idea that enables him to both teach the congregation, and preach to the unconverted, and yet people are making all sorts of judgments here, as if they know him personally.

I don't judge his salvation and never would. I can judge his actions as we are told to do.

I never suggested you were questioning his salvation, although if I remember correctly from the wording in some other posts, this is precisely what is being called into question.

I still have not seen one thing by which I feel I can condemn him...in fact the opposite, for whether he is right or wrong, he has some chutzpah and some vitality in him, and appears to be trying his best.

I too am dead against all sorts of trickery I have witnessed in the Church...but this man is not trying to trick anyone...and I do not see 'Church' as some sort of Holy place...it is a building, nothing more, nothing less....and as for wearing suits out of some sort of respect and just sing the tradition classical hymns, may be ok for some, but is not a blue-print for others.

Anyway...as someone has already stated, there are two schools of thought here....and both schools are based on a certain amount of assumption and speculation...on the one hand are those of us who say...'give the guy a break' on the other side are those that say 'string him up real high'. Are they both 'zealous for the L-rd'?...I guess only the L-rd can know as He looks into our hearts and sees our motives for saying what we think.

He does have some chutzpah. Many do their best, but they be doing it wrong. What would you think if a pastor decided to give a keg of beer to the one luck person sitting in the right place if they came to church? Same idea, just different substance.

Yes many do their best...and the best of us get it wrong sometimes, and have to apologise, pick ourselves up, dust ourselves down, and try to be more discerning with how to go about doing things.

The keg of beer idea bears no relation whatsoever to what this Pastor appears to be attempting to initiate through his gimmick...a few years down the line, he might well look back at what he is doing now, and shake his head with a smile on his face, and say to himself before the L-rd...'how could I be so dumb'...and I expect many of us can empathize with this sort of thinking...its called 'growing in grace' or 'maturing'.

The discussion on this thread is quite revealing, there is so much negativity that is speculative, baseless and in my opinion self-righteously judgmental...which probably needs to be addressed alot more than the Pastor.

Thoughtfully....Botz

LOL..we don't call ourselves a mega-church, its just what people say. We are big...there are pros and cons to that. I don't think it was ever the plan to get as big as we got...but God kept sending more people our way and we accepted them and built a big house to fit us all in...lol.

A lot of churches wish they had that problem, Axx. :rolleyes: