turtletwo

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  194

This story about the Bridegroom (Jesus Christ) returning and the virgins with their lamps has been interpreted in several different ways. Some believe that the ones who were left behind were never really Saved in the first place. ( But to that interpretation, others have said if the oil is symbolic of the Holy Spirit, how could that be? Because if they had the oil, then that means they would have had God's Spirit...making them true Christians. Not just the 'in-name-only, religious type'. ) To which others have argued that: No, they were once Christians, but what happened is that over time they stopped looking for Him... Meaning they put the Lord Jesus out of their lives as being no longer important in their priorities ( not # 1) and that is why their oil supply was dwindling. In other words, they gave up on Jesus's return by backsliding... became lukewarm and were in essence "spit out of His mouth." ( As is mentioned in Revelation. That verse appears to mean being rejected by Him ETERNALLY) and also "Depart from Me, for I never even knew you! "... that verse where Jesus sends some professing Christianity (perhaps never really Saved, though others would argue the opposite) into Hell...

Other interpretations out there are that the foolish virgins are still eternally Saved, but they are kept from participating in the joy of the wedding feast Jesus gives for His followers. Others say a 'mid-tribulation situation' happens, where the foolish virgins suffer the first half of that awful 7 year period. While the wise virgins are blessed to partake of the wedding feast during that time. ( Having already been raptured up into Heaven, pre-tribulation.)

So I am asking what is your interpretation of the meaning of the virgins / lamps story? I think this is something important we should ponder, because first of all everything thats in God's Word matters or He wouldn't have place it there... Secondly, I personally believe the return of Yeshua is close at hand, so therefore Jesus wants us to understand. I know I desire to. What troubles me somewhat is that the virgins were supposed to go 'get enough oil' for the wicks on their lamps to be trimmed, yet failed to do so. But if the oil is the Holy Spirit, how is Jesus meaning for us to go get more of Him? :emot-handshake: Because I know He enters all Christians when they become Born again. Any thoughts on how we get more oil? And if this story has anything to do with Salvation. :thumbsup: What IS the actual meaning? Thanks for any and all input on this...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  415
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/02/1945

This story about the Bridegroom (Jesus Christ) returning and the virgins with their lamps has been interpreted in several different ways. Some believe that the ones who were left behind were never really Saved in the first place. ( But to that interpretation, others have said if the oil is symbolic of the Holy Spirit, how could that be? Because if they had the oil, then that means they would have had God's Spirit...making them true Christians. Not just the 'in-name-only, religious type'. ) To which others have argued that: No, they were once Christians, but what happened is that over time they stopped looking for Him... Meaning they put the Lord Jesus out of their lives as being no longer important in their priorities ( not # 1) and that is why their oil supply was dwindling. In other words, they gave up on Jesus's return by backsliding... became lukewarm and were in essence "spit out of His mouth." ( As is mentioned in Revelation. That verse appears to mean being rejected by Him ETERNALLY) and also "Depart from Me, for I never even knew you! "... that verse where Jesus sends some professing Christianity (perhaps never really Saved, though others would argue the opposite) into Hell...

Other interpretations out there are that the foolish virgins are still eternally Saved, but they are kept from participating in the joy of the wedding feast Jesus gives for His followers. Others say a 'mid-tribulation situation' happens, where the foolish virgins suffer the first half of that awful 7 year period. While the wise virgins are blessed to partake of the wedding feast during that time. ( Having already been raptured up into Heaven, pre-tribulation.)

So I am asking what is your interpretation of the meaning of the virgins / lamps story? I think this is something important we should ponder, because first of all everything thats in God's Word matters or He wouldn't have place it there... Secondly, I personally believe the return of Yeshua is close at hand, so therefore Jesus wants us to understand. I know I desire to. What troubles me somewhat is that the virgins were supposed to go 'get enough oil' for the wicks on their lamps to be trimmed, yet failed to do so. But if the oil is the Holy Spirit, how is Jesus meaning for us to go get more of Him? :emot-handshake: Because I know He enters all Christians when they become Born again. Any thoughts on how we get more oil? And if this story has anything to do with Salvation. :thumbsup: What IS the actual meaning? Thanks for any and all input on this...

Guess everyone has a different interpretation - I don't know if the virgins represent the church and the oil the holy spirit. No matter what, the virgins were not ready to meet the bridegroom. They did not trim their wicks as they should have, so they were apparently not looking for the bridegroom as the others were. Jesus does enter into hearts when he is invited in. People accept him as an act of their will. And they can quit serving him as an act of their will too. I believe a person is eternally secure if that person WANTS to be, by laying hold and being obedient. God will not let go of his children, but some of his children may decide to walk away from him. I'm glad God is the final judge, because none of us can truly grasp the entirety of the truth, therefore many different views.

• Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

I really don't belive much in over analyzing because Jesus did give the answer in..

Mathew 25:13

"Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour in which the Son of Man is coming."

I mean that's how he ended the parable so the meaning is clear. I think that was the point he was trying to get across.. to be ready.

I guess another way you can look at the oil running out from the 5 unprepared virgins is a "burn-out".. Could it be that these are the people who walked away from the Lord because they lacked patience? Because the Last Days are taking too arrive? Or in their case the Bridegroom?

Remember a similar story in the Bible where King Saul should have waited 10 more minutes.. but because of his lack of faith he prepared a burn offering to the Lord (which only Samuel was supposed to do) and Samuel came just then... and Saul was rejected by God. The story..

1 Samuel 13:9

8 Then he waited seven days, according to the time set by Samuel. But Samuel did not come to Gilgal; and the people were scattered from him. 9 So Saul said, “Bring a burnt offering and peace offerings here to me.” And he offered the burnt offering. 10 Now it happened, as soon as he had finished presenting the burnt offering, that Samuel came; and Saul went out to meet him, that he might greet him.

11 And Samuel said, “What have you done?”

Saul said, “When I saw that the people were scattered from me, and that you did not come within the days appointed, and that the Philistines gathered together at Michmash, 12 then I said, ‘The Philistines will now come down on me at Gilgal, and I have not made supplication to the LORD.’ Therefore I felt compelled, and offered a burnt offering.”

13 And Samuel said to Saul, “You have done foolishly. You have not kept the commandment of the LORD your God, which He commanded you. For now the LORD would have established your kingdom over Israel forever. 14 But now your kingdom shall not continue. The LORD has sought for Himself a man after His own heart, and the LORD has commanded him to be commander over His people, because you have not kept what the LORD commanded you.”

15 Then Samuel arose and went up from Gilgal to Gibeah of Benjamin. And Saul numbered the people present with him, about six hundred men.

What do you think?

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

I believe all the parables can be summarized by this saying in Matthew 7:21

Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.

• Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

I wonder if you could apply these verses to add understanding to that parable? The people without oil, had the look of someone who would be entering... but they were not prepared with the extra oil.. nor did they trim! Could it be that they are false Christians? Which is why the Lord said he never knew them?

2 Timothy 3:5

5 They will act religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly. Stay away from people like that!

2 Peter 2:17

17 These people are as useless as dried-up springs or as mist blown away by the wind. They are doomed to blackest darkness. 18 They brag about themselves with empty, foolish boasting. With an appeal to twisted sexual desires, they lure back into sin those who have barely escaped from a lifestyle of deception.

Jude 1:12

12 When these people eat with you in your fellowship meals commemorating the Lord

• 3 weeks later...

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  228
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

easy the people that missed the rapture.

and how did they miss the rapture, By not believing God came in the flesh.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

What leads you to believe they did not believe God came in the flesh? They were waiting for the Bridegroom, but was not prepared for His arrival.

It isn't so wise to make doctrines out of parables. The overall truth of this story is only that we should all be ready at any time for the Marriage.

But if I had to venture a guess about this, I'd say that Israel is represented by New Jerusalem, the Bride according to the scriptures (as opposed to what theology says)

The wise/unwise bridesmaids are the nations who are supposed to be joined to that....

Pharisses where waiting for the bridegroom in Jesus time TOO my friend , but as I said they did not believe God came in the flesh!