• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

First off, these are not two seperate incidents described but the same incident. :emot-highfive:

How did you come to that? It looked like two occasions to me???

The Chronicles are a retelling of I and II Samuel and I and II Kings. the former books focus on the activities of the kings and people while Chronicles really focuses on the geneologies, the priesthood and worship.

At least, as I understand it. :whistling:

Ah okay... man I need to brush up on those books. I haven't read them in a long time. All I remembered was it told of the genealogy of David's descendants after him such as Solomon and so on.. thanks for the info

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,773
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/27/1957

Notice it happens twice? First by God then by Satan? Joab says the same thing twice and the response is the same twice... why? It's the prophet of Gad who comes to David on both occasions... how interesting..

I'm using Amplified Bible here

2 Samuel 24:1

1AGAIN THE anger of the Lord was kindled against Israel, and He moved David against them, saying, Go, number Israel and Judah.

2 Samuel 24:10-15

10But David's heart smote him after he had numbered the people. David said to the Lord, I have sinned greatly in what I have done. I beseech You, O Lord, take away the iniquity of Your servant, for I have done very foolishly.

11When David arose in the morning, the word of the Lord came to the prophet Gad, David's seer, saying,

12Go and say to David, Thus says the Lord, I hold over you three choices; select one of them, so I may bring it upon you.

13So Gad came to David and told him and said, Shall seven years of famine come to your land? Or will you flee three months before your pursuing enemies? Or do you prefer three days of pestilence in your land? Consider and see what answer I shall return to Him Who sent me.

14And David said to Gad, I am in great distress. Let us fall into the hands of the Lord, for His mercies are many and great; but let me not fall into the hands of man.

15So the Lord sent a pestilence upon Israel from the morning even to the time appointed; and there died of the people from Dan even to Beersheba 70,000 men.

1 Chronicles 21:1-2

1SATAN [an adversary] stood up against Israel and stirred up David to number Israel.

2David said to Joab and the rulers of the people, Go, number Israel from Beersheba to Dan, and bring me the total, that I may know it.

1 Chronicles 21:7-10

7And God was displeased with this [reliance on human resources], and He smote Israel.

8And David said to God, I have sinned greatly because I have done this thing. But now, I beseech You, take away the hateful wickedness of Your servant; for I have done very foolishly.

9And the Lord said to Gad, David's seer,

10Go and tell David, Thus says the Lord: I offer you three things; choose one of them, that I may do it to you.

11So Gad came to David and said to him, Thus says the Lord: Take which one you will:

12Either three years of famine, or three months of devastation before your foes, while the sword of your enemies overtakes you, or else three days of the sword of the Lord and pestilence in the land, and the angel of the Lord destroying throughout all the borders of Israel. Now therefore, consider what answer I shall return to Him Who sent me.

13And David said to Gad, I am in great and distressing perplexity; let me fall, I pray you, into the hands of the Lord, for very great and many are His mercies; but let me not fall into the hands of man.

14So the Lord sent a pestilence upon Israel, and there fell of Israel 70,000 men.

Israel had become proud and puffed up, impressed with their numbers. David likely read his own press clippings and started to think of himself as something. It is likely that GOD wanted to bring Israel back in line and wanted David to see the error of his ways. So, GOD (likely using Satan since GOD tempts no-one) enticed David to act on the pride that was growing in his heart. In this way, David would not then be able to point a finger at anyone but himself.

David was supposed to be trusting in GOD for strength, not the numbers of the people.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

I could be wrong, but as I understood it, David was forbidden from taking a census, and took one anyway. He disobeyed God.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  2

I could be wrong, but as I understood it, David was forbidden from taking a census, and took one anyway. He disobeyed God.

Or at least, he didn't take the census in the proper way:

Exodus 30:12 When thou takest the sum of the children of Israel after their number, then shall they give every man a ransom for his soul unto the LORD, when thou numberest them; that there be no plague among them, when thou numberest them.

And the verses following that, through verse 16, give the proper manner to take the census.