Jedi4Yahweh

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  28
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

When I hear you guys talking about repentance is nessacary for salvation, I'm confused. I know that by grace we are saved, not of works. There is nothing we can do to earn salvation. When you say that to recive salvation, we must repent, it sounds like you're saying we have to earn it. I was taught that " Salvation is a gift, you cannot earn it." If you must repent, then why did Jesus say what he did to the theif on the cross? That guy didn't have time to repent.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  16
  • Birthday:  09/17/1982

Jesusfreak. Did you read my post? How is repentance a work when its a gift of God? Acts 11:18

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  305
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  11/12/1950

I have to ask the question. Is repentance a human decision?

I would say yes. That being the case, what did Jesus say about those who are born again?

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

Mutz, it's eric little (e) EricH is a mod, I'm not, just so people don't get us confused.

Eric

If I may make a couple of candid comments about your response. Your first paragraph is indicative of what many in the church believe. But where does scripture tell us that to be born again, one must repent?

Well you could try Acts.2:37-38. and then if you read, Luke.13:1-6

In the first illustration, Peter was telling the listeners, if you want to have your sins forgiven you must first repent to receive the gift of the Holy Spirit, and as we all know that the Holy Spirit leads us to all truth. The second illustration, speaks for itself. if you don't repent you perish and only the unsaved are the ones who perish. You can ask Christ for forgiveness forever, but if you are not prepared to turn away from the world and follow the Redeemer, Jesus and do the will of God....you are wasting your time. The word is crystal clear about that

.. children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  119
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  07/03/1951

When I hear you guys talking about repentance is nessacary for salvation, I'm confused. I know that by grace we are saved, not of works. There is nothing we can do to earn salvation. When you say that to recive salvation, we must repent, it sounds like you're saying we have to earn it. I was taught that " Salvation is a gift, you cannot earn it." If you must repent, then why did Jesus say what he did to the theif on the cross? That guy didn't have time to repent.

Hi Jesusfreak,

Their is only one way to be saved, by grace through faith in Christ. Their is nothing you need to do, that is to repent. But you must know you you have sinned against God and need redemption. Thats where repentance comes in(repentance means a change of mind , not you turning from your sins, all though that will be the result of faith in Christ).It means to come to the correct way of thinking the way God thinks and then choosing by faith to do it by the power of the Holy Spirit.

• Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

Matthew 21:32

For John came to you to show you the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the prostitutes did. And even after you saw this, you did not repent and believe him.

The message of repentance, must be accepted first, so that one is prepared for the Lord Jesus Christ:

Matthew 3:3 This is he who was spoken of through the prophet Isaiah: "A voice of one calling in the desert, 'Prepare the way for the Lord, make straight paths for him.'"

Luke 7:24 After John's messengers left, Jesus began to speak to the crowd about John: "What did you go out into the desert to see? A reed swayed by the wind? 25 If not, what did you go out to see? A man dressed in fine clothes? No, those who wear expensive clothes and indulge in luxury are in palaces. 26 But what did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I tell you, and more than a prophet. 27 This is the one about whom it is written: "'I will send my messenger ahead of you, who will prepare your way before you.' 28 I tell you, among those born of women there is no one greater than John; yet the one who is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he." 29 (All the people, even the tax collectors, when they heard Jesus' words, acknowledged that God's way was right, because they had been baptized by John. 30 But the Pharisees and experts in the law rejected God's purpose for themselves, because they had not been baptized by John.)

Mark 1:4 And so John came, baptizing in the desert region and preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.

Lu 3:3 He went into all the country around the Jordan, preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.

Ac 13:24

Before the coming of Jesus, John preached repentance and baptism to all the people of Israel.

Ac 19:4 -

Paul said, "John's baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus."

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  50
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Matthew 21:32

For John came to you to show you the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the prostitutes did. And even after you saw this, you did not repent and believe him.

The message of repentance, must be accepted first, so that one is prepared for the Lord Jesus Christ:

Matthew 3:3 This is he who was spoken of through the prophet Isaiah: "A voice of one calling in the desert, 'Prepare the way for the Lord, make straight paths for him.'"

Mark 1:4 And so John came, baptizing in the desert region and preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.

For our sake we write that for repentance thou needest scripture to repent by, (Paul I may bewail many of them that have sinned already and have not repented of the fornication, uncleanness and wantoness that they have comitted) the words of the apostles should come first, so that thou mayest have a foundation.

Percieve that the sower of the word puts his seeds in stony places, and where there is cares of this world, decietfullness of riches, which choke the word. FIrst don't let bible corrupters substitute lawlessness in place of unrighteousness? What fellowship hat righteousness with unrighteousness? Which of you understand that Belial shall be utterly rooted out?

1 Cor 2:

(W.Tyndale N.T)

2:11 For what man knoweth the things of a man: save the spirit of a man which is within him? Even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the spirit of God.

12 And we have not received the spirit of the world: but the spirit which cometh of God, for to know the things that are given to us of God,

13 which things also we speak, not in the cunning words of man

• Content Count:  28

Thanks Eddie, I had never thoguht of it that way. You cleared up the confusion that I had. I was wondering if you think that someone can get into heaven without repentance. Very recently, the Lord called someone close to me home after a eight month struggle with cancer. I know she belived in God and Jesus, she told me she had accepted Christ as her Lord and savior. However, I never saw repentance. I think the faith she had was all she had. If I read the scriptures right, her acceptance of Jesus should have saved her soul. I would like to know what you all think.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  119
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  07/03/1951

Thanks Eddie, I had never thoguht of it that way. You cleared up the confusion that I had. I was wondering if you think that someone can get into heaven without repentance. Very recently, the Lord called someone close to me home after a eight month struggle with cancer. I know she belived in God and Jesus, she told me she had accepted Christ as her Lord and savior. However, I never saw repentance. I think the faith she had was all she had. If I read the scriptures right, her acceptance of Jesus should have saved her soul. I would like to know what you all think.

Hi again Jesusfreak,

Can someone get into heaven without repentance, no, they can't.But as you said in your previous post about the thief on the cross, did he get into heaven yes, did he repent, yes. How do you know that he repented, he had a change of heart because he knew he was a sinner by his own confession and ask Jesus to bring him to heaven because he belived Jesus to be the messiah. But he couldn't evidence that conversion in his life because of being on the cross dying. Repentance is knowing your a sinner guilty of Gods condemnation to hell and by faith trusting in Christ as the one who paid for your sins. I would say you cant believe in Jesus to save you if you dont know your in need to be saved from your sins.

• Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

That thief confessed his guilt, whereas the other did not.

Luke 23:39 One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: "Aren't you the Christ? Save yourself and us!" 40 But the other criminal rebuked him. "Don't you fear God," he said, "since you are under the same sentence? 41 We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong." 42 Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom." 43 Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."

In His Love,

Suzanne