• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  29
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/22/1993

Sometimes I watch movies, I think everyone does. But some movies are great movies EXCEPT for that sex scene or that remark about her body or that curse word etc etc. Is it wrong to watch movies that stimulate both spiritual and flesh? What is the line between an OK movie and a not OK one? I mean I'm a superhero fan more than anything, so I like to watch movies like the incredible hulk (the newer one) and iron man and so on. But, in some of those movies, like for example Ultimate Avengers, there are some things that are needless to say lustful. It is a great movie with great morals but in the end all I end up thinking about in the long run is that one seen or that one word. Even in comedy movies! Take Yes Man. Some of that movie was NOT NEEDED AT ALL to make it funny. I mean without those scenes it would have still been amazing. I am ok when the movie IMPLIES SOMETHING HAPPENED but when they SHOW IT thats the problem. So, are movies something we should just cut out all together?

A Mighty Man Of Valor

Gregor

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

Sometimes I watch movies, I think everyone does. But some movies are great movies EXCEPT for that sex scene or that remark about her body or that curse word etc etc. Is it wrong to watch movies that stimulate both spiritual and flesh? What is the line between an OK movie and a not OK one? I mean I'm a superhero fan more than anything, so I like to watch movies like the incredible hulk (the newer one) and iron man and so on. But, in some of those movies, like for example Ultimate Avengers, there are some things that are needless to say lustful. It is a great movie with great morals but in the end all I end up thinking about in the long run is that one seen or that one word. Even in comedy movies! Take Yes Man. Some of that movie was NOT NEEDED AT ALL to make it funny. I mean without those scenes it would have still been amazing. I am ok when the movie IMPLIES SOMETHING HAPPENED but when they SHOW IT thats the problem. So, are movies something we should just cut out all together?

A Mighty Man Of Valor

Gregor

The answer to your question is the same as the answer to your music question.

Be led by the Spirit in ALL things. Pray first, be guided, and be obedient. Then you can't really go astray. Read the bible more, pray more, develop your relationship with God more, so that you are more intune with whether or not a movie is for you.

Read reviews first, ask fellow christians etc, before watching the movie. If in doubt, don't watch it.

But don't spend hours looking for a "rule" to tell you whether or not you can (watch a movie / listen to music / enjoy an icecream / ride your bike)... be lead by the Spirit and you will be doing just fine.

That said, there are some pretty obvious things that the Spirit will always reject... nudity, sex scenes, profanity, cussing the Lord. God doesn't change, and so the answer to "should I watch this movie" won't change either.

Would you be comfortable watching it sitting next to your pastor and grandmother??? What about when you really sit and think about the fact that God is watching you watch it?

Blessings,

Andy

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

If you watch a film that has a scene which is NOT NEEDED or UNNECESSARY then the question is...why is it in there??

When you watch the older films, they do not contain scenes like you describe. When did it start??

My experience is that they crept up on us. First a curse word here and there, then a scene where..ooops she fell, so a quick glance at something you wouldn't normally see, and on it goes until they think the public is ready for a " Bold new movie".

From a secular point of view, a person might say that it was a normal progression, the same old story lines had to be jazzed up to keep the interest of the public.

From a non-secular perspective, it is just yet another tool used to cause distraction and stumbling. Personally, I think all the junk and toys are a means to keep us in a " dumbed down " position, but that just my thinking.

Without all the toys and junk, we would be doing more productive things to stay busy, and keeping a closer eye on what was going on around us and actually forming an opinion, but again, thats just my thinking and I have been accused of being conspiracy minded.

We know the adversary uses trickery to distract us and cause us to stumble, the movies are so obvious, but if you listen and watch closely, I think you'll find a more subtle( and at times ) not so subtle attack on God Himself.

As another has stated, you must let the Spirit guide you; And to me, it seems as if you already have been spoken to.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Would you be comfortable watching it sitting next to your pastor and grandmother??? What about when you really sit and think about the fact that God is watching you watch it?

Blessings,

Andy

This may not be the best test condition as there are many things I would not want to do in front of a pastor or my grandmother (if they were still slive) that are not sin (like go to the bathroom). Probably the best test is what does scripture have to say about the issue?

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

Blessings,

Andy

This may not be the best test condition as there are many things I would not want to do in front of a pastor or my grandmother (if they were still slive) that are not sin (like go to the bathroom). Probably the best test is what does scripture have to say about the issue?

Please keep my test in context. We are talking about movies here. Obviously the test doesn't extend to bathroom activities or bedroom activities, nothing in my text suggests extending it to those activities, and the context doesn't demand it. If you read my whole post, I focused on being led by the Spirit.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Hey Gregor -

As far as sex scenes go, you can always shut your eyes.

On the other hand, why set yourself up for temptation?

Yes, I know it is hard - I love action movies, too. But it's like they portrayed on the Marvel vs. DC series on YouTube by Itsjustsomeradomguy (you should check it out if you haven't seen it yet!) - Iron Man and Batman were arguing with each other about which movie that summer was the most family-friendly, and Batman shot back at Iron Man about the pole dancers - oh yeah, real family friendly there!

But I understand your dilemma. You love your action, yet you desire holiness.

I think of the verse that says something like: "Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial."

This is a choice you are going to have to make in your own heart and mind - which is more important to me? The fun of watching the movie or not having to deal with the stain of sin brought to my eyes and ears?

I struggle with this, too - especially when I have family members that want to go out and see the movies.

Praying through this struggle with you. :cool:

there are options available. there are dvd players that are programmable to remove certain content from the film as you watch it, based on your own preferences. you can program it to skip scenes containing sex or violence or cussing or even substance abuse. google "clear play" or "dvd player with parental controls".

you can also rent filtered movies, or buy or rent movies from christian cinema dot com that are guaranteed to be "faith friendly". they review the movies first and only provide titles that have no questionable material.

the good thing about the dvd player is that it doesn't just do dvd's, it is hooked up thru your cable or satellite, so it will also filter your favorite tv shows. the drawback of that is that you have to pay a monthly or yearly subscription for the service, even after you've paid for the dvd player. i mean, it is pre-loaded with filters for hundreds of movies, but new movies come out every week, right? so if you want to watch new releases, you need the subscription.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  550
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  2

Though Rome is the City of Seven Hills in Revelation, Los Angeles also has seven hills and has often been referred to as the 'Mother of Harlots' by its critics.

Their wine is the venom of

dragons

and the cruel poison of cobras--Dt 32, 33

The Damsacus Document commentary found in the Dead Sea Scrolls says--"Their wine is their customs." Our customs, our culture, is our TV.

Since 1950, when TV first began moving into the homess of America, societal ills have risen dramatically. The transculturation of America began in earnest. What use to be unacceptable in our culture has now become acceptable.

Frank Capra, three-time oscar winner gave up the business because of its changes. He wrote in the The Name Above the Title, "The winds of change blew through the drream factories of make-believe, tore at the crinoline tatters...The hedonists, the homosexuals, the hemophilic bleeding hearts, the God-haters, the quick-buck artists who substituted shock for talent, all cried: "Shake'em! Rattle'em! God is dead. Long live pleasure! Nudity? Yea! Liberate the world from prudery. Emancipate our films from morality!"

There was dancing in the streets among disciples of lewdness and violence."

American essayist E.B. White wrote in 1938 after seeing TV: "I believe television is going to be the test of the modern world," he wrote, "and that in this new oppurtunity to see beyond the range of our vision we shall dfiscover either a new and unbearable disturbance of the general peace, or a saving radiance in the sky. We shall stand or fall by television--of this I am quite sure."

Television has turned America into a place of abominations and lawlessness. By the time the average teenager graduates from high school he will have witnessed 200,000 dramtized acts of violence and 40,000 murders. From 1945 to 1974, the white homocide rate in the U.S. increased 93 percent. Rest assured the mass apostasy and the fall of America into world government would not have happened so easily without TV in the homes of Americans.

Television is a form of idolatry; it promotes violence and lawlessness. Ask yourself, if Christ was in the room with you, is the TV on or off.

Christ is in the room with me everytime i have it turned on. no doubt he's not crazy about some of the shows i watch, but i know he has no problem with a lot of the other shows i watch.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  9

Though Rome is the City of Seven Hills in Revelation, Los Angeles also has seven hills and has often been referred to as the 'Mother of Harlots' by its critics.

Their wine is the venom of

dragons

and the cruel poison of cobras--Dt 32, 33

The Damsacus Document commentary found in the Dead Sea Scrolls says--"Their wine is their customs." Our customs, our culture, is our TV.

Since 1950, when TV first began moving into the homess of America, societal ills have risen dramatically. The transculturation of America began in earnest. What use to be unacceptable in our culture has now become acceptable.

Frank Capra, three-time oscar winner gave up the business because of its changes. He wrote in the The Name Above the Title, "The winds of change blew through the drream factories of make-believe, tore at the crinoline tatters...The hedonists, the homosexuals, the hemophilic bleeding hearts, the God-haters, the quick-buck artists who substituted shock for talent, all cried: "Shake'em! Rattle'em! God is dead. Long live pleasure! Nudity? Yea! Liberate the world from prudery. Emancipate our films from morality!"

There was dancing in the streets among disciples of lewdness and violence."

American essayist E.B. White wrote in 1938 after seeing TV: "I believe television is going to be the test of the modern world," he wrote, "and that in this new oppurtunity to see beyond the range of our vision we shall dfiscover either a new and unbearable disturbance of the general peace, or a saving radiance in the sky. We shall stand or fall by television--of this I am quite sure."

Television has turned America into a place of abominations and lawlessness. By the time the average teenager graduates from high school he will have witnessed 200,000 dramtized acts of violence and 40,000 murders. From 1945 to 1974, the white homocide rate in the U.S. increased 93 percent. Rest assured the mass apostasy and the fall of America into world government would not have happened so easily without TV in the homes of Americans.

Television is a form of idolatry; it promotes violence and lawlessness. Ask yourself, if Christ was in the room with you, is the TV on or off.

Sadly, anything can be come an idol - if we allow it. Our spirit becomes what we feed it. Television like anything else has some good offerings - we are able to discern as Christians, what G-d would approve of and leave the other things that are not pleasing to Him alone. That's what a remote is for.