~Shalhevet~

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  136
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 1:2 He was with God in the beginning.

John 1:14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,041
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  5

Why does Jesus pray to God while He is on earth? Wouldn't that be praying to Himself?

from an old thread of mine -

Perhaps the most common stumbling block concerning Jesus' deity is an apparent inability to answer the question, "How can Jesus be the Everlasting Father and still pray to the Father?"

Good question. Nevertheless, Isaiah said the "Prince of Peace" would be none other than "The Everlasting Father," or as some would assert "the Father of Eternity." Indeed it is a mystery, but just because something is a mystery does not make it impossible. A mystery is simply proof of ignorance, a lack of knowledge and understanding.

A good basic guideline for understanding Christ, the God/man, is to remember that God in His pure essence "is a spirit" (John 4:24). By Jesus' own words we know that "a spirit hath not flesh and bones" (Luke 24:29). Therefore, God in His pure essence as a spirit is not limited to a finite visible form. Being omnipresent, He is everywhere all the time, throughout time, at the same time - past, present, future. Therefore Jesus, while locked in time and space by His human flesh, through prayer communed with His Omnipresent Spirit, "the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity" (Isaiah 57:15).

Now ponder this, if you could simply go back one minute in time you could both see and be with yourself. You could even talk to yourself. Would that make you two? Certainly it would seem as if there was two. Nevertheless, in truth you are still only one. One in heart, one in mind, but in two places. It is the escape from time's hold that affords you the ability to be in two places simultaneously. You, from the future, could warn yourself of what is yet to come. This is what Jesus revealed to Nicodemus. "No man has ascended up to heaven, but He that came down from heaven, even the Son of Man which is in heaven," (John 3:13). Jesus was there talking to Nicodemus, yet referring to Himself as "is in heaven." It is this unique aspect of God's Omnipresence by which He knows those who would be saved from the foundations of the world.

"Who hath wrought and done it, calling the generations from the beginning? I the LORD, the first, and with the last; I am He"
(Isaiah 41:4).

"Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like Me, Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel will stand, and I will do all My pleasure"
(Isaiah 46:9,10).

"I have declared the former things from the beginning; and they went forth out of My mouth, and I shewed them; I did them suddenly, and they came to pass. I have even from the beginning declared it to thee: before it came to pass I shewed it thee: lest thou shouldest say, mine idol hath done them, and my graven image, and my molten image, hath commanded them"
(Isaiah 48:3,5).

At Athens Paul encourage the men to "seek the Lord [Jesus], if haply they might feel after Him, and find Him, though He be not far from every one of us:
for in Him we live and move
and have our very being . . . " (Acts 17:27,28). Again in Psalm 139 David reasons with God saying, "Whither shall I go from Thy Spirit? Or whither shall I flee from Thy presence? If I ascend up into heaven, Thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, Thou art there. If I take the wings of morning, and dwell In the uttermost parts of the sea: even there shall Your hand lead me and Your right hand hold me" (Verses 7-10).

"Am I a God at hand, saith the LORD, and not a God afar off? Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the LORD. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the LORD"
(Jeremiah 23:24).

Thus we can see the omnipresence of the "eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God."

And thus we see the Jesus' humanity . . . .

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  02/19/1960

While on the topic. Is it wrong to listen to music about only Jesus and not God? For instance, the chris tomlin song "Jesus messiah". Is that song bad because it doesn't praise Jesus, god and the spirit? Make sense?

i listen to Metallica, PortisHead, Skinny Puppy, old Rage Against the Machine.etc

it's not a sin to listen to various music.

That's not what I'm asking. I'm asking if it's wrong to just praise Jesus and not the godhead.

It is not wrong since the Father commands the angels to worship Jesus (Heb. 1:6). Jesus is worshipped. John says we are to honor the Son even as (exact same way) as we honor the Father. Jesus was worshipped in Scripture, even equally with the Father (Rev. 4-5). The normal pattern is to pray to the Father in the name of Jesus through the Spirit. We can worship God, the triune God, or each member as God.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  540
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  08/26/1980

Jesus was trying to provide righteous model for us to follow. Jesus did not need to be baptized, but did it any way. Jesus dealt with temptation in the wilderness in the manner he did in order to show us how to do it.

And no, Jesus would not be praying to Himself. Jesus is a separate person from the Father. The Son is praying to His Father, so He is not praying to Himself.

With all respect and honor to Jesus, I ask my next question. If He were being a righteous model for us to follow, why did He then say on the cross "Father, why have you forsaken me?"

Did Jesus not become God until after the resurrection?

One reason said this is because he was quoting psalms 22 and applying the role of righteous sufferer unto himself.

.... With all respect and honor to Jesus, I ask my next question. If He were being a righteous model for us to follow, why did He then say on the cross "Father, why have you forsaken me?"

The LORD's Quote

And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

Mark 15:34

Directs True Seekers To Holy Prophecy

My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?

O my God, I cry in the daytime, but thou hearest not; and in the night season, and am not silent.

But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel.

Our fathers trusted in thee: they trusted, and thou didst deliver them.

They cried unto thee, and were delivered: they trusted in thee, and were not confounded.

But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people.

All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head saying,

He trusted on the LORD that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him.

But thou art he that took me out of the womb: thou didst make me hope when I was upon my mother's breasts.

I was cast upon thee from the womb: thou art my God from my mother's belly.

Be not far from me; for trouble is near; for there is none to help.

Many bulls have compassed me: strong bulls of Bashan have beset me round.

They gaped upon me with their mouths, as a ravening and a roaring lion.

I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels.

My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death.

For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.

I may tell all my bones: they look and stare upon me.

They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.

But be not thou far from me, O LORD: O my strength, haste thee to help me.

Deliver my soul from the sword; my darling from the power of the dog.

Save me from the lion's mouth: for thou hast heard me from the horns of the unicorns.

I will declare thy name unto my brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee.

Ye that fear the LORD, praise him; all ye the seed of Jacob, glorify him; and fear him, all ye the seed of Israel.

For he hath not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; neither hath he hid his face from him; but when he cried unto him, he heard.

My praise shall be of thee in the great congregation: I will pay my vows before them that fear him.

The meek shall eat and be satisfied: they shall praise the LORD that seek him: your heart shall live for ever.

All the ends of the world shall remember and turn unto the LORD: and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before thee.

For the kingdom is the LORD's: and he is the governor among the nations.

All they that be fat upon earth shall eat and worship: all they that go down to the dust shall bow before him: and none can keep alive his own soul.

A seed shall serve him; it shall be accounted to the Lord for a generation.

They shall come, and shall declare his righteousness unto a people that shall be born, that he hath done this.

Psalms 22

Do You Know The LORD Jesus

Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Hebrews 12:2

Yet

For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;

And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.

Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,

And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

John 5:26-29

>>>>>()<<<<<

Did Jesus not become God until after the resurrection?

Father And Son

Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.

Isaiah 44:6

Forever And Ever

And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle.

[His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire;

And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.

And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.

And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:

I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

Revelation 1:13-18

Amen!

>>>>>()<<<<<

Believe

Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

John 11:25-26

And Be Blessed Beloved

Love, Joe

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  895
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  1

i listen to Metallica, PortisHead, Skinny Puppy, old Rage Against the Machine.etc

it's not a sin to listen to various music.

:whistling: Why? Dont mean to get off subject, however, why would you listen to Metallica? I just have a hard time seeing Jesus head banging at one of there shows knowing that they are openly satanic. :emot-fail:

• Group:  Members
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  09/20/1965

God is triune (Trinity)/compound unity, not solitary (Jew, Islam, Unitarian). There is only one true God by nature/essence/substance, not 3 beings, not 3 gods. Father, Son, Holy Spirit are co-eternal, co-essential, co-equal. The heresy of modalism/Sabellianism would say the Father is the Son and have God praying to Himself (no). Saying they are two beings would be polytheism (Mormonism) and would also be wrong. Jesus is God in the flesh, one person with two natures. These truths resolve your concerns. Revelation>reason.

I am not saying this is necessarily wrong but I am curious as to how you arrived at this revelation?

Also, why is it possible to stretch the imagination to say that 'three are not more than one yet they are plural' but to reasonably understand that one means one is heretical?

Why is revelation greater than reason and why can't they coexist?

Should we suspend all reason and say that God the Son prayed to God the Father and yet they are not more than one?

If one were to pray to God the Holy Spirit would the others be offended?

Shouldn't the God that made us be able to reveal something reasonably?

"Saying they are two beings would be polytheism and would also be wrong." Why is it acceptable to use a plural pronoun and even the number three to refer to "them" and yet to "say they are two beings" is like sinful?

I am sure some may think I am being glib or even disrespectful or worse, but to fling the accusation of heresy without rebut seems irresponsible to me.

So, don't be offended just explain your position.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Content Count:  8

Why does Jesus pray to God while He is on earth? Wouldn't that be praying to Himself?

You state an obvious truth.

Jesus Christ is not God. He prayed to God as we do.

He didn't do his own will,

he was sent and the sender is greater

The father is greater than I.

He was born, that was his genesis,; beginning.

He set aside his own will,

he said why does thou call me good, there is none good save one, that is God

Matt 27:18 all authority is GIVEN to me in heaven and earth. If he was God why did it have to be given to him?

in 1 cor 15:20-25 or so after God has put all under Christ then Christ returns subject to God that God may be all in all.

People run with blinders on to a few pet verses they do not understand, desperately clinging to those few misunderstood verses to substantiate what someone told them as kids.

Don't believe the lie of the trinity. Trinity, triune, 3 in one etc etc. and all the terms used to describe them are made up and not biblical.

Gods word is so clearly obvious but you'd never know that with all the wrong doctrine that is believed out there.

Anyone out there awake?

• Group:  Members
  • Content Count:  9
  • Birthday:  09/20/1965

Matt 27:18 all authority is GIVEN to me in heaven and earth. If he was God why did it have to be given to him?

in 1 cor 15:20-25 or so after God has put all under Christ then Christ returns subject to God that God may be all in all.

People run with blinders on to a few pet verses they do not understand, desperately clinging to those few misunderstood verses to substantiate what someone told them as kids.

Don't believe the lie of the trinity. Trinity, triune, 3 in one etc etc. and all the terms used to describe them are made up and not biblical.

Gods word is so clearly obvious but you'd never know that with all the wrong doctrine that is believed out there.

Anyone out there awake?

Then do tell what you understand concerning Jesus the man?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

Anyone out there awake?

Itocory said....Then do tell what you understand concerning Jesus the man?

Yep...even more awake having read your response here, which seems to basically cover the heresy of Arius in a nutshell, but as Itocory has asked you to clarify about Jesus in the flesh I will hold back and listen to your response. :emot-hug: