IGNORED

Why do people form cliques?

Guest kitkat

Guest kitkat

Every school has "cliques". Small groups of people with similar interests who hang out exclusively with one another, so it is no surprise when you're in high school or college to see cliques formed, but what about after high school and college into adulthood?

By the time you are out of high school or college, you should have a pretty good idea of how secure you are in life without feeling the need to belong to a clique.

Cliques are so high school in maturity level, so why is it that we see so many people forming cliques and in cliques, especially women, in churches, on the job, in certain organizations and in online chats and forums, etc.?

Do cliques give the people involved in them a sense of superiority or a sense of self-worth that they lack because they don't have enough confidence in themselves without belonging to a clique?

There are certain people that when they meet they "hit if off" really well and it is understandable when people bond like this, that they become close friends. To me this isn't a clique, but a good friendship.

My question about the forming of cliques pertains to several people in a group that feel superior for some reason to others and don't allow them into their realm or their group. Why is that? It's not as if the ones I've witnessed, that involve women are drop-dead (Jennifer Lopez style) gorgeous and only allow drop-dead gorgeous

women into their group, so what is it that determines who is accepted into their group and who isn't and if not, why not? What makes a clique feel so superior that they won't even talk to those outside of their own little group?

Wouldn't you say that this kind of behavior within a clique isn't Christian-like? I say it's not Christian-like at all.

What do you think?

Kat

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

Hello Kitkat

Cliques are a form of mini community and most people are attracted to community. those within a clique do not necessarily think they are superior to others they can form when people who have the same feelings come together for mutual support and encouragement. Of course cliques can be made up of people who do think they are superior to others and will keep others out as long as they think they do not measure up. That

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.87
  • Days Won:  0

what are some of a persons hobbies?

coin collecting?

stamp collecting?

R-C modeling?

Bible Studies?

horseback riding?

singing?

a person can go on and name more and more and more....

as was stated, a clique is a group of people that have things in common and like doing the same thing.

unfortunately, there are some cliques that their common interest is gossip, or elivating them selves above others...... the Bible speak about both of these.

now, would a person that is into R-C modeling feel at home going to a meeting where the coin collectors are meeting? talking about coins? their interest is not in R-C Modeling, but in coins, and the modeler has no interest in coins, so he (or she) want to attend meetings? on the other hand, you have the R-C Modeler that also likes Bible studies as does some of those from the Coin Club, now they are on common ground, and they are talkingabout the same thing and even on the same page....

how many cliques do you belong to that you are unaware that you do????

are your cliques uplifting? or tearing down.....

some times a person just stands at the edge of a clique also, where they do not really go all the way in, but are still concidered one of the group by others outside the group...... sometimes this is the own persons doings, other times it is the group checking out the person to see if they will allow this person to become a full member of their group or not...... and other times it is done in jest, to tease the person into thinking they are being welcomed but really are not.

other examples of cliques: Church Choir, Praise and Worship team, Home Visitation team, Deacons, Board of Trustees, Pastors ( yes, they are a clique, by lifting each other up and supporting them and getting support from each other and such ), we also have the clique of sunday school teachers, and the clique of sunday school students ( I have even identified myself as one that goes to Robins Class, others may say I go to Ken Rileys Class, and so forth...... )

the best clique to belong to is the one that says:

WE FOLLOW JESUS CHRIST, WHO IS THE ONLY BEGOTTEN SON OF GOD, THAT CAME TO THIS EARTH TO SHOW US THE WAY TO THE FATHER, THAT WE MAY NOT BE LOST TO HELL THAT WE HAVE ETERNAL LIFE THRU HIM(JESUS)..... so forth and so on......

which cliques do you belong to, and what is that clique all about???? up lifting or tearing down....

mike

Guest Called

I teach the 10-12 year olds at church and we actually talked about cliques last month.

The question we had was "Are all cliques bad?" the answer is "Yes"

Christians should not be part of a clique. Sure, we are going to hang out with people that we have developed close relationships with and have similar interests to ours, BUT if we do not allow others to join our group, it is wrong.

As Christians we should be accepting of ALL people, not just people like us. We should be approachable.

I can honestly say that we do not have "cliques" at my church. Anyone who walks in our church is immediately welcomed and they can talk to anyone. It is awesome, the love that my church has for others.

Great Topic Kat! :hug:

Debbie :cool:

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  1,430
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  12/18/1981

I teach the 10-12 year olds at church and we actually talked about cliques last month.

The question we had was "Are all cliques bad?" the answer is "Yes"

Christians should not be part of a clique. Sure, we are going to hang out with people that we have developed close relationships with and have similar interests to ours, BUT if we do not allow others to join our group, it is wrong.

As Christians we should be accepting of ALL people, not just people like us. We should be approachable.

I can honestly say that we do not have "cliques" at my church. Anyone who walks in our church is immediately welcomed and they can talk to anyone. It is awesome, the love that my church has for others.

Great Topic Kat! :hug:

Debbie :)

Here is the best point to pay attention to.

Thx called,

Exclusive Cliques will not get Christ's seal of approval.

God Bless,

Dave

Guest aka_mary

If you search for clique on Britannia on-line this is what comes up. It is under the heading BEAURACRACY

Professional corps of officials organized in a pyramidal hierarchy and functioning under impersonal, uniform rules and procedures.

Its characteristics were first formulated systematically by Max Weber, who saw in the bureaucratic organization a highly developed division of labour, authority based on administrative rules rather than personal allegiance or social custom, and a “rational” and impersonal institution whose members function more as “offices” than as individuals. For Weber, bureaucracy was a form of legalistic “domination” inevitable under capitalism . Later writers saw in bureaucracy a tendency to concentrate power at the top and become dictatorial , as occurred in the Soviet Union. Robert K. Merton emphasized its red tape and inefficiency due to blind conformity to procedures. More recent theories have stressed the role of managerial cliques , occupational interest groups, or individual power-seekers in creating politicized organizations characterized by internal conflict.

Just thought this was interesting. Sort of wraps up what the purpose of cliques are to me.

Guest dove2

Hi Kitkat,

I don't understand cliques. I have never belonged to one. I do understand good friendship though. I think, sometimes, we feel there are Cliques because people talk to the same people more than they do others. I believe that is because they have known some longer than others have. I don't think they are keeping people out. They just know the other one's interests more than newer people. It is not that anyone is keeping newer people out.

Take our "mod squad" for instance. Sometimes it seems like they are a

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,026
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

I heard a preacher say once that a person in a clique will never move outside the walls of their clique, they will not go against each other making it impossible for them to please God and be obediant to Him alone. They will always please one another.

Guest dollface

Proverbs 4

23 Above all else, guard your heart,

for it is the wellspring of life.

CAUTION BEFORE ENTERING A CLIQUE.

20For I am afraid that when I come I may not find you as I want you to be, and you may not find me as you want me to be. I fear that there may be quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, factions, slander, gossip, arrogance and disorder. 21I am afraid that when I come again my God will humble me before you, and I will be grieved over many who have sinned earlier and have not repented of the impurity, sexual sin and debauchery in which they have indulged.

It is o.k to be yourself. You do not have to be popular. If you follow someone in a group and they do not speak well of others (gossip)or you have to become like them to be in their group. GET OUT fast.

Proverbs 19

1BETTER IS a poor man who walks in his integrity than a rich man who is perverse in his speech and is a [self-confident] fool.

4Wealth makes many friends, but the poor man is avoided by his neighbor.(1)

5A false witness shall not be unpunished, and he who breathes out lies shall not escape.(2)

6Many will entreat the favor of a liberal man, and every man is a friend to him who gives gifts.

7All the brothers of a poor man detest him--how much more do his friends go far from him! He pursues them with words, but they are gone.

9A false witness shall not be unpunished, and he who breathes forth lies shall perish.

21 The tongue has the power of life and death,

and those who love it will eat its fruit.

8 The words of a gossip are like choice morsels;

they go down to a man's inmost parts.

15 A simple man believes anything,

but a prudent man gives thought to his steps.

Proverbs 4

23 Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.

THE KING IS COMING.