e lansing

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  895
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  1

Do you believe it to acceptable for Christians to practice things like yoga? I read somewhere that Martin Luther King followed teachings from Gaundi and other philosophers, not sure if this is 100% true, but wonder if this is a growing trend in Christianity. I do not think it is, however would like to hear from yall and what you think and why. What say yall?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.20
  • Days Won:  115

Do you believe it to acceptable for Christians to practice things like yoga? I read somewhere that Martin Luther King followed teachings from Gaundi and other philosophers, not sure if this is 100% true, but wonder if this is a growing trend in Christianity. I do not think it is, however would like to hear from yall and what you think and why. What say yall?

To use yoga for an exercise to limber up, you are not following the spiritual teachings behind each stance, is not wrong in my opinion. The same would go with practicing martial arts, as long as you leave the spiritual teaching alone, it is OK.

To try and "incorporate" teachings from other faiths is creating a different faith then that of the bible.

To use yoga for an exercise to limber up, you are not following the spiritual teachings behind each stance, is not wrong in my opinion. The same would go with practicing martial arts, as long as you leave the spiritual teaching alone, it is OK.

To try and "incorporate" teachings from other faiths is creating a different faith then that of the bible.

Agreed! btw, how do you feel about christians who beat the livin day lights out of people and then at the end of the fight put on a witness t shirt in the UFC

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

Looking at what Ghandi wrote and said and finding it inspiring is different from following Hinduism. However, Yoga is a Hindu religous practice; for me this is getting pretty close to practicing a different faith.

I don't know where to draw the line with stretching etc?

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.20
  • Days Won:  115

Agreed! btw, how do you feel about christians who beat the livin day lights out of people and then at the end of the fight put on a witness t shirt in the UFC

I was into competition martial arts and believed in Jesus. IT was a sport, a little crueler then football, but a sport none the less. If they use their skill to do something wrong, that is another story.

I was into competition martial arts and believed in Jesus. IT was a sport, a little crueler then football, but a sport none the less. If they use their skill to do something wrong, that is another story.

I been considering allowing my kids to learn judo but had mixed feelings, so hear i am.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

If you can learn the judo without the Eastern religious aspects to it, it's fine.

Judo is good excercise, discipline, and self protection.

My brother took judo for a while, and the first thing they taught was how to fall properly - that is how to land so that you don't get hurt.

• Topic Count:  373
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,331
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  12/24/1965

From the "gotQuestions?" site:

Question: "What is the Christian view of yoga?"

Answer: For many Christians in the West who don't understand the history behind it, yoga is simply a means of physical exercise and strengthening and improving flexibility of the muscles. However, the philosophy behind yoga is much more than physically improving oneself. It is an ancient practice derived from India, believed to be the path to spiritual growth and enlightenment.

The word "yoga" means "union," and the goal is to unite one's transitory (temporary) self with the infinite Brahman, the Hindu concept of "God." This god is not a literal being, but is an impersonal spiritual substance that is one with nature and the cosmos. This view is called "pantheism," the belief that everything is God and that reality consists only of the universe and nature. Because everything is God, the yoga philosophy makes no distinction between man and God.

Hatha yoga is the aspect of yoga which focuses on the physical body through special postures, breathing exercises, and concentration or meditation. It is a means to prepare the body for the spiritual exercises, with fewer obstacles, in order to achieve enlightenment. The practice of yoga is based on the belief that man and God are one. It is little more than self-worship disguised as a high level of spirituality.

The question becomes, is it possible for a Christian to isolate the physical aspects of yoga as simply a method of exercise, without incorporating the spirituality or philosophy behind it? Yoga originated with a blatantly anti-Christian philosophy, and that philosophy has not changed. It teaches one to focus on oneself instead of on the one true God. It encourages its participants to seek the answers to life's difficult questions within their own conscience instead of in the Word of God. It also leaves one open to deception from God's enemy, who searches for victims that he can turn away from God (1 Peter 5:8).

Whatever we do should be done for God's glory (1 Corinthians 10:31), and we would be wise to heed the words of the apostle Paul: "Fix your thoughts on what is true and honorable and right. Think about things that are pure and lovely and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise" (Philippians 4:8, NLT).

From the "gotQuestions?" site:

Question: "What is the Christian view of yoga?"

Answer: For many Christians in the West who don't understand the history behind it, yoga is simply a means of physical exercise and strengthening and improving flexibility of the muscles. However, the philosophy behind yoga is much more than physically improving oneself. It is an ancient practice derived from India, believed to be the path to spiritual growth and enlightenment.

The word "yoga" means "union," and the goal is to unite one's transitory (temporary) self with the infinite Brahman, the Hindu concept of "God." This god is not a literal being, but is an impersonal spiritual substance that is one with nature and the cosmos. This view is called "pantheism," the belief that everything is God and that reality consists only of the universe and nature. Because everything is God, the yoga philosophy makes no distinction between man and God.

Hatha yoga is the aspect of yoga which focuses on the physical body through special postures, breathing exercises, and concentration or meditation. It is a means to prepare the body for the spiritual exercises, with fewer obstacles, in order to achieve enlightenment. The practice of yoga is based on the belief that man and God are one. It is little more than self-worship disguised as a high level of spirituality.

The question becomes, is it possible for a Christian to isolate the physical aspects of yoga as simply a method of exercise, without incorporating the spirituality or philosophy behind it? Yoga originated with a blatantly anti-Christian philosophy, and that philosophy has not changed. It teaches one to focus on oneself instead of on the one true God. It encourages its participants to seek the answers to life's difficult questions within their own conscience instead of in the Word of God. It also leaves one open to deception from God's enemy, who searches for victims that he can turn away from God (1 Peter 5:8).

Whatever we do should be done for God's glory (1 Corinthians 10:31), and we would be wise to heed the words of the apostle Paul: "Fix your thoughts on what is true and honorable and right. Think about things that are pure and lovely and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise" (Philippians 4:8, NLT).

Aman! i would have to agree! I also did not know the history of yoga, this helps. I read an artical on a growing trend in Christianity that said more and more christians see no problem with practiceing things like yoga. it was in "enrichment" vol15 2010. Would you consider following other philophers that are not christian to fall in the same group?

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

There is a difference between, worship, practice and inspiration and philosophy.

I find inspiring good things in many other cultures who happen not to be Christian. For example I find many many inspiring things among the Orthodox Jews, some of the writings, some of the people, etc, but it would be wrong for me to join them in worship as we are not of the same faith. The same would hold with some Buddhist philosophy particularly about non-attachment to this world, but that does not mean I partake of Buddhist practices.