• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  213
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/12/1958

I have a question on a particular scripture and hope that I have placed this topic in the correct forum.

My question is simple. What does this scripture mean?

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. Genesis 1:27

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest shiloh357

It means that God created both male and female. It is a reference to Adam and Eve. That verse is expanded on in Gen. 2.

It means that God created both male and female. It is a reference to Adam and Eve. That verse is expanded on in Gen. 2.

I just read Genesis chapter 2 and do not see what it means to be "created in the image of God".

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.26
  • Days Won:  19

Grace to you,

Let's skip the presumption. :thumbsup: What do you think it means?

Peace,

Dave

Grace to you,

Let's skip the presumption. :thumbsup: What do you think it means?

Peace,

Dave

Hi Dave,

I am asking because I asked that question in another thread and was told that it was not relevant to the topic at hand.

You have told me that I am deceived. If this is true, I wish to correct myself and am therefore asking sincerely what this verse means to the people here. That is why I have not offered what I think.

I did see other verses with the phrase "image of God" in the bible, but alas, I must be reading them wrong too.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.26
  • Days Won:  19

Grace to you,

Let's be clear, I never said you were deceived. What I said was that," you do err." :thumbsup:

You were agreeing in essence with the idea that has been promoted here of late that Christ is in everyone. Both Saved and Unsaved.

There is a huge difference between being Created in His image and having Him dwell richly within you. The difference is in being born again by the will of God or remainng in the will of the fallen man, Adam. :thumbsup:

Peace,

Dave

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.20
  • Days Won:  115

I have a question on a particular scripture and hope that I have placed this topic in the correct forum.

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. Genesis 1:27

You should of included verse 26: "Then God said,

Grace to you,

Let's be clear, I never said you were deceived. What I said was that," you do err." :thumbsup:

You were agreeing in essence with the idea that has been promoted here of late that Christ is in everyone. Both Saved and Unsaved.

That is why I am asking in the opening post what that verse in Genesis means. Especially since 2 Corinthians 4:4 shows, to me, that it is Christ who is made in the image of God: In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

There is a huge difference between being Created in His image and having Him dwell richly within you.

I do agree that there is a difference. Carnal man versus Spiritual Man.

The difference is in being born again by the will of God or remainng in the will of the fallen man, Adam. :thumbsup:

I agree with you completely.

Grace and Peace be with you.

You should of included verse 26: "Then God said,

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.20
  • Days Won:  115

You should of included verse 26: "Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”"

Adam and Eve were unique in that they were created with no sin, unlike the rest of the humans ever born. They were also different from the rest of creation, being able to reason, having a body - soul - and spirit, and the ability to communicate directly with God. The differences were necessary from them to take dominion over creation.

Even so, Adam and Eve had the ability to sin and did not lack the ability to sin... same as us.

As for ability to communicate directly with God, did not Jesus, who communicated directly with God, say we would do all that He did, and more? Jesus also had dominion over the all the earth too... at least he calmed the storm that one time.

Yes, we have the same ability, hence in His image where one of the attributes is to be able to decide, a free will. Yet, they were created sinless, unlike any other human.

Are we discussing Genesis, or is somewhere else you wanted to take us with the opening question?