IGNORED

Ancient religions - product of fear and ignorance?

nebula

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

This is what I grew up learning, anyway - that ancient religions were a product of fear and ignorance of the human species.

Generally, right?

Well, I've been seeing some evidence that perhaps the ancient people weren't so stupid . . . nor so fearful.

Some time ago I was watching an episode on either History or Discovery, going through Archeology or tunnels - or forget which. But they had to do with people from Central or South America. Part of their religious rituals was to get drugged up on some concoction and then wander through a dark tunnel maze that ended with a room that had a large statue of their frightening-looking god. In addition there was running water. The impression was that it instilled fear on the people (drugged, walking through a pitch black maze, ending with a fearful image accompanied by the sound of running water).

The host managed to take part in a ceremony that invoved drinking this drug concoction from ancient times to note the affect it had on the senses. He could tell he was high, but did not notice anything too remarkable. However when he got back to his room, still high, he decided to do an experiment by turning off the lights and running the faucet. He noted that he felt a sense of power (rather than fear).

Last week I was watching Solving History on the Discovery Channel. I'm not sure if it is the same people or similar, but he was trying to solve the Nazca lines. He discovered (or presented the discoveries of) some very interesting things - which would take a while to go through. But towards the end it was brought out that the ground beneath the lines was compacted, like the people had actually walked along these lines time and time again (there was other evidence of this, and that it was a part of a religious ritual).

So although they don't know why they walked the lines and the figures, it was clear that it was religious ritual to walk on the lines (kind of like praying the rosary, only they walk the figure rather than passing over beads).

Putting these things together, I am seeing a pattern. For one, worshiping their gods wasn't a result of fear but empowerment. And although they were scientifically ignorant, they were not ignorant of the world and of life. Besides the intelligence it took to make such structures!

And that got me thinking about this forum and debates we have about religion. Atheists seem to regard religion as a product of ignorance and fear and that our intelligence is evolving out such things.

But as I am discovering these things about the ancient people, I'm not so sure the Atheists are giving these people's religious beliefs and practices enough credit. Nor that our intelligence is evolving out belief in the supernatural.

For it sure seems they knew something we didn't!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  25
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

There is some truth in false religion because Jesus enlightens every man who comes into the world, and because distorted remnants of Biblical truth survived among ancient peoples.

For instance, the flood myths are common enough to say that the Flood really did occur, and that over time the story got corrupted.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

The host managed to take part in a ceremony that invoved drinking this drug concoction from ancient times to note the affect it had on the senses. He could tell he was high, but did not notice anything too remarkable. However when he got back to his room, still high, he decided to do an experiment by turning off the lights and running the faucet. He noted that he felt a sense of power (rather than fear).

I watched the same show as you and if I remember right the tunnel aspect was a ritual the priests had to go through but don't hold me to that!

The Nazca lines can be linked to a road system just like so many in the jungles they are finding. The conspiracy guys think they are ancient astronauts since none can be seen expect by air. I wouldn't think that the spider or even the astronaut be just a road or even something for religious rites but its a good as theory as anything else out there.

I don't think those ancients were dummies nor fearful as they are protrayed to be in movies and docs. People always belittle things they have no understanding of, atheist can not possibly understand those who have any belief let alone those who believe in God. Sure atheist can read the bible yet without the Holy Spirit as a guide there is no understanding unless God is leading the person back to Him and then its only when the person accepts Him will they be given that 'supernatural' understanding. I have always felt that all religions have one beginning and as people moved out and away they develop their own understandings and tradition then things ballon from there. Those ancients were pretty smart people can't be dummies if one is building huge structures, developing complex religious systems and the like, hmm unless they had help. :thumbsup:

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  5

There is some truth in false religion because Jesus enlightens every man who comes into the world, and because distorted remnants of Biblical truth survived among ancient peoples.

For instance, the flood myths are common enough to say that the Flood really did occur, and that over time the story got corrupted.

Wouldn't you rather check the physical evidence [earth] to determine whether the flood myth was true? I'm not sure I understand why you would rely on myths to support a myth.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  519
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  04/28/1980

I think that many ancient peoples had a great amount of knowledge and technology that we have lost throughout the years. Maybe we should start looking more at there societies. Especially the possibility of Atlantis.

I think that many ancient peoples had a great amount of knowledge and technology that we have lost throughout the years. Maybe we should start looking more at there societies. Especially the possibility of Atlantis.

OK

And every living substance was destroyed which was upon the face of the ground, both man, and cattle, and the creeping things, and the fowl of the heaven; and they were destroyed from the earth: and Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him in the ark. Genesis 7:23

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  25

Wouldn't you rather check the physical evidence [earth] to determine whether the flood myth was true? I'm not sure I understand why you would rely on myths to support a myth.

The Flood is not a myth, and I believe it because God told us in His Word that it happened. My point is that there are so many Flood myths in that area, that it is safe to say that the story is true, but it got corrupted. The rock layers and fossil layers also support the Flood having literally occurred.

• Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

The Flood is not a myth; there are many myths that echo the story though. Such as the Epic of Gilgamesh.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

:emot-hug: Oh well. So much for discussing the OP.

• 1 month later...

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  16
  • Birthday:  11/05/1977

I would say ancient religions existed for much the same reason false religions exist today. Mankind really hasn't changed THAT much over the years. Mostly it's due to rebellion, selfcenteredness and deception