For Him Alone

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  55
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

As a Christian we have to be dedicated to God .

To live as close as you can to God, you have to get rid of idols in our lifes, but we have so many in our lifes...think about the things we don't need but want to keep..

How would the Lord look upon these things in our life?

Even as a born again Christian, I think we want to much controle ourself....and let God have the rest. Does this sound right? We might think we give it all to the Lord. But do we??

Your sister in Christ, Angels

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  396
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/26/1961

I believe that all of us are tempted with idols because Satan knows our weaknesses. It is a struggle every day to keep God FIRST, as He demands. I struggle, and sometimes I fail. He forgives, and we move on. :)

Guest muttly

:)  Yep.   For me it was running. I loved running...and still do. I wanted to go to the olympics and be the best in the world........

PRAISE God He humbled me because i think it was a stumbling block in my life. He took care of the idol because i'm too stupid and too self-centred to do it myself.

I totlay agree that there are idols in our life that we must deal with. God must be number 1. He must be more important than our family, jobs, friends, music, country and hobby. He must be more important than our religion!  :butbut: (Something to think about!)

Good topic!  

:biggrin:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  189
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

The hardest thing I have had to give up is books. I don't mean books in general, but books I had read long ago and kept around that were not proper reading material for a christian. You know like steve king stuff. My pastor says that one thing will be the thing that God wants you to put down. Question yourself can you live with out it? I look around me now and can't think of a thing that I need to get rid of. I even went through all the old records and tapes. I was a product of peace, love and rock and roll. That was my fiance's tough one, music. I think about Abraham giving up Isaac and I cringe and think no I couldn't do it. Now that is some scary stuff.

Love in Christ

Teri

For me it's this discussion board.  When there ever gets to a point where you don't see me as much any more, it's because G-d is dealing with this. :)

Boy. Teri, you hit it on the head. I love Anne Rice, all vampire lore, Dracula, ghost stories, Steven King (though he is rather wordy...) Clive Barker--BOO! Alfred Hitchcock--I have a very macabre side! To be such a good girl, I mean.

But I think of it as "fantasy", not satanic or evil.

Like the Harry Potter/Cinderella question...

just fuel for the imagination, not "sin".

Though lately I'm reading things like "On The Anvil" instead, and haven't read the other in a long time...I didn't even notice that I had stopped! :)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  444

Same here FHA,

I've been reading lots of books on religion and I'm currently reading a book called "The Faith: A History of Christianity". Its pretty good and I recommend it to all of you... but I'm not too far into it yet, I like it so far. I've just gotten to Constantine adopting Christianity into the Roman empire and the story about his vision.

Vampires are great   :)   They're fun to read about, but some people get pretty scary... I saw this book titled "LARP - Live Action Role Playing" I think was the title... whoa... it was quite odd, got tell ya'll about it. It was a game, like the role playing game Dungeons and Dragons, except you lived the roles, all the time... I had to flip through it and read some of it. There was one section (which I absolutely loved...). It was talking about when creating your character, you can choose him to be whatever you want (warrior, princess, king, etc) but it gave a little side note something like this: "If you choose to be a mage, wizard, or warlock, it may be difficult to properly represent your magical powers" (meaning, it might be tough for you to make a lightning bolt jump from your fingers!) I laughed pretty good at that and showed it to the friend I was with   :P

I like Steven King too... I'll have to make time to read the next part of the Dark Tower series is published though    :D

AACK!! I love the Dark Tower! I've been afraid of beaches since reading that one scene! Those creatures?

I love Clive Barker's "Sieze the Night" and its sequel, too, about the guy that's severely allergic to light and uncovers a nasty plot by the mortuary in his hometown...

see, here I go again.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  455
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

What does the bible say about having fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness?

When you are reading about it you are having intellectual fellowship.

I used to read King, but absolutely will NOT now!

How can one profess love for God and yet "love" the ungodly things?

2Thess.5:22.."Abstain from all appearance of evil."

Angels, we all have failures, but do we all have idols?  An idol to me is something that would consume your interest away from God.

Peace, Carl

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  252
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,859
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Birthday:  03/16/1963

It all comes down to our sin nature. It nurtures our pride and causes us to fall. Can't wait for the day we can shed this shamefull sin nature for good. It is worth nothing.