Luke 5:36 "Then He spoke a parable to them:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  9

There are some excellent online sites and also good concordances that have some points and critical explanations about scripture. I like Bible Gateway and the

Center for Biblical Theology and Eschatology site, and Biblemaster.com. Have you looked at those? They may assist you with literal interpretations along with those which are symbolic.

• Topic Count:  334
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  4

Thanks Parker! I would have never understood that on my own.

This completes my bible study questions for the week! :laugh:

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  1,901
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  29

I'm also having difficulty understanding this parable:

Luke 5:36-39

36He also told them a parable: ‘No one tears a piece from a new garment and sews it on an old garment; otherwise the new will be torn, and the piece from the new will not match the old. 37And no one puts new wine into old wineskins; otherwise the new wine will burst the skins and will be spilled, and the skins will be destroyed. 38But new wine must be put into fresh wineskins. 39And no one after drinking old wine desires new wine, but says, “The old is good.” ’

Anyone? Thanks. :laugh:

Greetings Orel,

Verse 36: Let say you have an old coat and mend a cut on the elbow with a new piece of cloth. Pass washings has shrunk the coat as far as it can go. Therefore the new piece will tear away from the coat, because the new has no bonding with the old material, which caused it to pull away. What Jesus was pointing out their teachings(and some of today) were incomparable and was pulling away from the true teachings, which was His, the Word of God.

Verse 37: Wine makers used sheep and goat skins for bottles in that day. They would put the wine in them where the wine would allowed ferment. This caused the skins to stretch and dry.

Verse 38: Putting new wine into these old skins would cause them to stretch more and burst. Jesus was simply stating and showing the scribes and Pharisees(and to some of today), What are your religion? The answer is full of do's and don't. It should be a joyous expression of God's blessing in what He has done in your lives.

Verse 39: An example of today, wealthy people desire the oldest wine and most expense, simply because of age and taste. Doesn't mean that the new won't taste good, just tradition has made it that way. Jesus came to set things right, and many didn't want to change simply because of tradition. He was was letting them know that you can't adapt the principles of Jesus to old systems, just because they have been going on so long and you are use to doing it that way.

Just like when we became new kids in Christ, there was teachings, life styles, traditions we tried to incorporate with our new find faith. But it couldn't stand up to the truth which is the Word of God. As we struggled to keep these wrong teachings, we lost our joy and no victory in which the Word of God promise to us (Seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and everything else will be added unto you). Nothing is worth the joy Christ gave us as we accepted Him as our Personal Savior. We began to fellowship with Him, read his Word, form godly lifestyles, seek godly counsel etc. Only then was we able to

receive what He so freely offered up to the scribes, Pharisees and anyone who wanted to be free. Which is (and theres so much more), you can go only higher and live in freedom when you seek God's will...for who the Son set free is free indeed.

This is what was revealed to me.

Joyful

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0

I'm also having difficulty understanding this parable:

Luke 5:36-39

36He also told them a parable: 'No one tears a piece from a new garment and sews it on an old garment; otherwise the new will be torn, and the piece from the new will not match the old. 37And no one puts new wine into old wineskins; otherwise the new wine will burst the skins and will be spilled, and the skins will be destroyed. 38But new wine must be put into fresh wineskins. 39And no one after drinking old wine desires new wine, but says, "The old is good." Anyone? Thanks. :thumbsup:

The parable says, that nobody takes a piece of cloth from a brand new garment and takes that new piece over and sews the new piece onto an "old garment." If one does this then the "new" piece of cloth will tear and this is because the cloth from the "new" garment didn't match the "old" garment the old and new are not compatiable with one another. The new is those who are born again "For if any man be in Christ he is a new creature old things passed behold all things made new.

The word of the Lord goes on and tells us that nobody puts wine into "old" wineskins cause if you do then they are just going to bust and you'll just loose the wine. Jesus told them that you want your wine to keep then you have to put your "new" wine into

"new" wineskins. Jesus says, again that nobody after drinking "old" wine desires "new" wine but says, the "old" is "good."

In the past they use to put wine up to preserve it. Jesus says, that nobody puts wine into "old" wineskins because if they did that it was only going to burst loosing all the wine. This was done because when a person did use a brand new wineskin they would put their new wine into them and put it up. What would happen while it was put up? The new wineskins began to stretch when the the wine began to ferment to their capacity.

So, if one had wine that needed to be put up to be fermented used old wineskins that had already been streched to there capacity. Then when the wine began to ferment the already stretched skin would burst and that wine would be ruined.

We have to say, yes to Christ and be made a "new" creature, thus a "new" wineskin as the Lord wants to pour himself into your life that we can grow. But if we still remain an unbeliever choosing to reject the love of God remaining an "old" wineskin that is useless and will come to ruin having no value at all to the Lord God.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  147
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  07/19/1983

i have been asking myself what those meant... thank you. :24: :24:

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Just a note, when looking at a parable, you need to read what preceeds it to see if Jesus was speaking in response to something. But in this case, you need to also read it in context of what proceeds the parable, for the theme is related.

27 After that He went out and noticed a tax collector named Levi sitting in the tax booth, and He said to him, "Follow Me." 28 And he left everything behind, and got up and began to follow Him. 29 And Levi gave a big reception for Him in his house ; and there was a great crowd of tax collectors and other people who were reclining at the table with them. 30 The Pharisees and their scribes began grumbling at His disciples, saying, "Why do you eat and drink with the tax collectors and sinners ?" 31 And Jesus answered and said to them, "It is not those who are well who need a physician, but those who are sick. 32 "I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance." 33 And they said to Him, "The disciples of John often fast and offer prayers, the disciples of the Pharisees also do the same, but Yours eat and drink." 34 And Jesus said to them, "You cannot make the attendants of the bridegroom fast while the bridegroom is with them, can you? 35 "But the days will come ; and when the bridegroom is taken away from them, then they will fast in those days." 36 And He was also telling them a parable : "No one tears a piece of cloth from a new garment and puts it on an old garment ; otherwise he will both tear the new, and the piece from the new will not match the old. 37 "And no one puts new wine into old wineskins ; otherwise the new wine will burst the skins and it will be spilled out, and the skins will be ruined. 38 "But new wine must be put into fresh wineskins. 39 "And no one, after drinking old wine wishes for new ; for he says, 'The old is good enough.' "

1 Now it happened that He was passing through some grainfields on a Sabbath ; and His disciples were picking the heads of grain, rubbing them in their hands, and eating the grain. 2 But some of the Pharisees said, "Why do you do what is not lawful on the Sabbath ?" 3 And Jesus answering them said, "Have you not even read what David did when he was hungry, he and those who were with him, 4 how he entered the house of God, and took and ate the consecrated bread which is not lawful for any to eat except the priests alone, and gave it to his companions ?" 5 And He was saying to them, "The Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath." 6 On another Sabbath He entered the synagogue and was teaching ; and there was a man there whose right hand was withered. 7 The scribes and the Pharisees were watching Him closely to see if He healed on the Sabbath, so that they might find reason to accuse Him. 8 But He knew what they were thinking, and He said to the man with the withered hand, "Get up and come forward !" And he got up and came forward. 9 And Jesus said to them, "I ask you, is it lawful to do good or to do harm on the Sabbath, to save a life or to destroy it?" 10 After looking around at them all, He said to him, "Stretch out your hand !" And he did so; and his hand was restored. 11 But they themselves were filled with rage, and discussed together what they might do to Jesus.

Now, when speaking of "the Old Covenant" and "the New Covenant", one must remember who the Covenant was made with:

Jer. 31

31 "Behold, days are coming," declares the LORD, "when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah, 32 not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them," declares the LORD. 33 "But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days," declares the LORD, "I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 34 "They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them," declares the LORD, "for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more." 35 Thus says the LORD, Who gives the sun for light by day And the fixed order of the moon and the stars for light by night, Who stirs up the sea so that its waves roar ; The LORD of hosts is His name : 36 "If this fixed order departs From before Me," declares the LORD, "Then the offspring of Israel also will cease From being a nation before Me forever ." 37 Thus says the LORD, "If the heavens above can be measured And the foundations of the earth searched out below, Then I will also cast off all the offspring of Israel For all that they have done," declares the LORD.

So the "Old Covenant" was the Sinai covenant, and the "New Covenant" was made with "the house of Israel and the house of Judah."

Keep in mind also that by this time, when Jesus spoke these things, the religious leaders had added restrictions above and beyond what the Torah had dictated. Where the Torah simply said, "Don't work on the Sabbath," - cooking, harvesting, etc. - by then they had additional rules that defined "work", which placed a heavy burden on people (i.e. Since it takes work to light a lamp, you cannot light a lamp on the Sabbath). By and large, their following of Torah was more about following rules and regs than it was worshiping the Lord, thus traditions of man rather than the command of God.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  147
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  07/19/1983

thank you nebula :24: , good post. :24: