• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  111
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/07/1951

When I was a child (an only child) I was given everything I wanted, did very few chores, and was generally spoiled rotten. When I grew up I expected everything to continue to be given to me and had a lot of trouble being told "No". I always worked and didn't shirk duties, but I would go into rages when things didn't go my way. I wish my parents had been stricter with me, not handed me everything I wanted, and had actually given me real chores so I could have earned my way to buying things I wanted. And they should have punished me when I scewed up instead of overlooking my wrong-doings.

I say this because I agree with what you did, Fez. The boy needs real discipline or he will surely find himself on the road to prison, drugs or death. I pray that God will give strength to his mom (she's more than likely acting out of guilt) to truly do what is best for her son.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,273
  • Content Per Day:  4.83
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

You did the right thing. Prayerfully he and his mom will get some counseling. Have you invited them to church?

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.08
  • Days Won:  78

The rod and reproof give wisdom,

But a child who gets his own way brings shame to his mother. Proverbs 29:16 (NASB)

Thanks Joe :emot-crying:

There is a whole sermon in that verse! Once things have taken their course in this thing, I will try again, and again to witness to them, and this verse will be the anchor!

I think you did exactly the right thing, fez. I pray that you will be able to get through to this mother and this neglected child.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

You did the right thing. Prayerfully he and his mom will get some counseling. Have you invited them to church?

Yes, they came once, but are not ready yet. I guess God has deemed that the time is not yet right. I feel she brought her son out of desperation, and not out of any other reason. I will of course witness whenever I can.

I will watch the situation with the probation officer and counseling carefully ,and see where this leads.

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I opened this thread just to give you all an update.

On wednesday last week the two boys were taken, with their parents, to the local police station. Their fingerprints were taken, as well as warning statements that charges had been laid against them. They now have to be assesed by a shrink and a probation officer (as well as their parents). If they are found to know the difference between right and wrong (I don't know too many twelve year olds that don't), they will appear before a magistrate.

If not they have to undergo stringent tests and counseling for a period of months.

Either way, they are both learning a valuable lesson in discipline and moral values!

Guest lovinghim4ever

I work in a maximum security prison . . . Every day I see many lives that have been negatively impacted by "letting it slide."

I believe you did the right thing.

:emot-hug::emot-hug::emot-hug:

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  543
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  33,108
  • Content Per Day:  5.06
  • Days Won:  242
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

:taped: for that child and his mum ..... there is no doubt at all in my mind that if you had done anything else you would have been guilty of helping the child on a road to ruin ( and yes I am a single mum of 4 children and they KNEW there are ALWAYS consequences to all actions )

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  426
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,633
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  08/26/1978

I am a youth worker and have seen similar situations. Fez you did the right thing as all have said, and in reality hopefully have saved this young mans life in the long run!

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  895
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  1

I live in a complex in a garden setting alongside an estuary. Most of the units are holiday rentals, and there are only three of us that are permanent residents (which is nice, very quiet most of the year!)

I am the chairman of the body corporate and responsible to ensure maintenance, finances, staff, security, caretaker, etc, are doing what they are supposed to be doing. This is a volunteer position to which I was elected by the owners of the units, and does not take up that much of my spare time.

Recently a single mother and her son moved into one of the units on a three month lease. He is twelve years old.

I have never, in my life, ever, come across a more out of control child. Since being here (one month), he has broken tables, signs, stolen keys, thrown a bicycle into the pool; hit a younger kid over the head with a plastic surf board etc. Speaking to his mother has not helped. She is fiercely protective and goes on the attack while he stands behind her with a look of defiance in his eyes that is almost that of a psychopath (seriously).

On Wednesday afternoon it was found that the unit next to mine had been broken into.

Short version is that I put two and two together and eventually he admitted to having done it with a friend of his (whose father works for me!). The owner of the unit drove six hours to come and see the damage (place had been turned upside down, a GPS unit and other stuff stolen)

Here