• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,237
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

It seems like too many of us are going at each other like cats and dogs lately - with the result being many threads getting closed.

What's happening? :emot-hug:

We have to always keep in mind that Satan delights in sowing discord between believers!

Time for a little more :yadda: in the family...

Oh well! no good fights here :amen:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

Some of my posts I'd rather not have God know about... :emot-hug:

And you expect to keep them secret from the Lord . . . how?

Smoke and mirrors! :yadda:

Won't work...God invented smoke and mirrors. :amen:

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

I almost never participate in topics that are over 5 pages long... if it goes that far, most of the time it's just two or three people arguing back and forth and I don't find it interesting at all no matter what the topic is.

Actually I like it, because by this time they have figured out what their conflict of beliefs or ideas are, and can focus on that. I kinda like ironing out the nuts and bolts :emot-hug: , it's part of my approach.

I know but it mostly seems like people can't get over their pride and admit what they believe in is wrong (if they have to) and look at the possibility of the other way. Know what I mean?

Sometimes the arguments can be as menial as since in the book of Job it's written the world is a "circle" and not "sphere".. it proves there is no evidence that the Bible says the world is round....? Now really how is that edifying? Besides Paul warns us not to argue over definition of words because they don't lead to any good (2 Timothy 2:14). So I try to stay away from those kinds of arguments.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

It seems like too many of us are going at each other like cats and dogs lately - with the result being many threads getting closed.

What's happening? :emot-hug:

We have to always keep in mind that Satan delights in sowing discord between believers!

Time for a little more :amen: in the family...

there are discordant people on the forum, but they're not satan.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

It is written: As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. When a tough or controversial topic arises, you can expect that Believers with differing and often strong opinions will clash swords. There are likewise times when pseudo-Believers come along and attempt to inject outright lies into a discussion while all the time claiming Christ. These people must be rebuked and given their walking papers. Allowing such persons to remain in the fellowship of Believers and speak lies opens younger Believers to error and heresy before they have had a chance to gain their spiritual sense of direction; in other words, such persons sow confusion and make shipwreck of people's faith.

It is also written: Open rebuke is better than secret love. There are times when people NEED to be rebuked when they espouse teachings which are WAY off track. The whole kissy-kissy lovey-lovey thing of modern Christianity was not practiced by the Early Church; if you taught nonsense in the Early Church, you were warned 2-3 times and then tossed out on your ear. When obviously false teachings are espoused, they must be met with proper teaching and correction and if necessary, rebuke. (I'm not referring to teachings which are up in the air, like eschatology, but subjects where Scripture is 100% clear, such as the immorality of homosexuality or creation versus evolution.)

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

I almost never participate in topics that are over 5 pages long... if it goes that far, most of the time it's just two or three people arguing back and forth and I don't find it interesting at all no matter what the topic is.

Actually I like it, because by this time they have figured out what their conflict of beliefs or ideas are, and can focus on that. I kinda like ironing out the nuts and bolts :emot-hug: , it's part of my approach.

I know but it mostly seems like people can't get over their pride and admit what they believe in is wrong (if they have to) and look at the possibility of the other way. Know what I mean?

Sometimes the arguments can be as menial as since in the book of Job it's written the world is a "circle" and not "sphere".. it proves there is no evidence that the Bible says the world is round....? Now really how is that edifying? Besides Paul warns us not to argue over definition of words because they don't lead to any good (2 Timothy 2:14). So I try to stay away from those kinds of arguments.

It is OK to study in depth to understand the meaning of the word, because sphere and circle are different, IMHO. Perhaps if you feel they are splitting hairs, that thread isn't for you (general "you", I'm not saying this to Blien only). What is splitting hairs to one person is a revelation of the depth of scripture to another.

Really it's all about attitude, not the topic. Whether speaking to a fellow believer, or a non believer, remember to always salt your words with grace and love.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

It is OK to study in depth to understand the meaning of the word, because sphere and circle are different, IMHO. Perhaps if you feel they are splitting hairs, that thread isn't for you (general "you", I'm not saying this to Blien only). What is splitting hairs to one person is a revelation of the depth of scripture to another.

Really it's all about attitude, not the topic. Whether speaking to a fellow believer, or a non believer, remember to always salt your words with grace and love.

Sure but it can really get out of hand. I mean, do you think they had words for "sphere" back then? Was it even important to describe the difference in a scientific sort of way? So that's what I was getting to.

It's funny, a couple of years ago, I asked my dad what the words were for sphere, cube and others in my native language Tigrinya. He told me there was no such words... he supposed that if you really wanted to explain something like that you could say "kem enkoho" which means "like the shape of an egg".

So here is what I was referring to earlier... for clarities sake but I do understand where you are coming from Andy.

2 Timothy 2:14

Remind everyone about these things, and command them in God’s presence to stop fighting over words. Such arguments are useless, and they can ruin those who hear them.

Blien it's an interesting verse but I suspect I interpret it a little different to you. It's also slightly off topic, want to discuss it in a new thread with me?

Blien it's an interesting verse but I suspect I interpret it a little different to you. It's also slightly off topic, want to discuss it in a new thread with me?

Nvm, I just realised the irony... of debating over the meaning of 'strive' and 'word' in this passage:

2 Timothy 2:14

Remind everyone about these things, and command them in God