Matthitjah

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

I told my kids (they are adults now) that if they called the cops on me for spanking or disciplining them that when I got out of jail, I would do it to them again.

i did one better than that. when rana was 13 and about to get a good spanking, i gave her a choice of who i would call to witness the spanking... a trusted family friend, or the local police.

she chose the family friend. one of the local police officers had already told her (in my presence) that if she'd been his daughter, he'd have already blistered her bottom.

charitow and utx et al,

the girl wasn't a child, so this wasn't a matter of "discipline". it was a matter of granny getting fed up with a disrespectful foul mouthed young lady that had no clue what "lady" means. i seriously doubt that it did more harm than good. i'd be willing to lay odds that the brat watches her mouth around granny from there on out... and that's good. maybe not good enough, because the girl won't change her language when granny isn't around, but at least for a moment or two once in a while, she'll quit dropping F-bombs.

and i know this is not going to go over well with some, but i don't really think it is un-Christ-like. God is the same yesterday, today and forever, and He expected parents to keep their kids in line, even with the use of corporal punishment. (but let's not turn this thread into a spanking debate. granny didn't spank. she popped the girl in the mouth. and rightly so IMO)

I agree with your comments - I watched this interview and I cannot promise that I would have done differently if I'd been the Grandmother. Sometimes - enough is enough.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LadyC
I agree. Praise in public. Punish in private. Even though the girl was out of line with her foul mouth, this is embarrassing and not Christ like IMO.

there's no indication that this punishment wasn't done in private, by the way. the girl was doing homework. that leads me to believe that she was in granny's house when she started using foul language. or mom's house and granny lives there. in any case, it was the media that took this public. granny had every right to do what she did.

here's the irony. i'm not sure about the state they are in, but if she'd lived here, IF the girl had been a MINOR instead of 18, granny wouldn't have spent a second in jail, as long as there was no bleeding or bruising.

Guest LadyC

ya don't spank an 18 year old, it doesn't work.

if an 18 year old is in my house talking like that, i might bop them in the mouth, too. i didn't say i'd punch them, and slapping a kid in the mouth doesn't have to mean bloodying their lip. i've popped my kids in the mouth many times when my kids were growing up for being disrespectful, and not once did they get a bloody lip. but it sure straightened their mouths up for a while. and frankly, i didn't always wait to get them home. if we were in public and my kids started talking disrespectful to me, i didn't hesitate to pop their mouths.

now, i imagine granny probably popped a little harder than i did, but as long as no blood was drawn and no bruising occurred, then i have no problem with what she did. and there's no reason to think that blood or bruising was part of the equation.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

i don't understand why some people think it is ok for an adult to slap an 18 year old (adult), but not ok in any other type of relationship....like marriage?

Interesting point.

Guest LadyC

husband and wife are equal.

foul mouthed 18 year old dropping f-bombs in granny's house, that ain't equal.

scripture distinguishes the difference.

Guest LadyC

scripture doesn't express any permissions or restrictions on WHERE you may hit a disrespectful child, but it is pretty clear that you are not to spare the rod. but there are lots of threads debating sparing the rod.

Guest LadyC

no, i can't. but i can't really picture how Jesus would handle a lot of situations. i just don't think granny was wrong. yes, the brat was an adult, so it's not a "discipline" thing, but she's still subordinate to her grandmother, so it's not a typical domestic dispute thing either. it's kinda like a blurry line there as to how it should be pigeon-holed, and maybe even how it should be handled. but most of the suggestions that people have made as alternate ways to deal with it would definitely not work in this situation.

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  542
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  33,043
  • Content Per Day:  5.05
  • Days Won:  237
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

A lot would depend on if the grand mother was actually eeding and clothing the 18 year old or in place of a parent ...if she was then she had a right to demand that the foul language stopped ...if any of my grandchildren used language like that in front of me then they wouldnt be coming to visit until they had learned to grow up and had learned some respect. I didnt use it to my children and I wont have it used in my presence now BUT if I ama in their house and they used it I would walk out NOT hit out

My "fear " is that now the llittle thug will think she has the " upper hand " and will threatenher grandmother any time she disagrees with her because I cant see the granny wanting to go back to jail again :blink: