• Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Updated May 11, 2010

Thieves Steal Mojave Desert Memorial Cross in Nighttime Heist

The 7-foot-tall metal cross in a 75-year-old war memorial that withstood the heat of the Mojave Desert and a blazing battle in the Supreme Court over its legality was ripped down and stolen Sunday night, according to federal officials.

"This is an outrage, akin to desecrating people's graves," said Kelly Shackelford, president of the Liberty Institute, which represents the caretakers of the Mojave Desert War Memorial. "It's a disgraceful attack on the selfless sacrifice of our veterans. We will not rest until this memorial is re-installed."

The National Park Service says someone cut the metal bolts holding the metal-pipe cross to the top of the memorial's Sunrise Rock and made off with it Sunday night or before dawn on Monday.

Read on here

Images

My goodness - I never realized how small and scraggly-looking the Mojave cross is (was).

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

Small indeed...it makes me wonder why this cross is such a threat to the atheists who wanted it gone...I'm betting that the ones who wanted it taken down know exactly where the cross is now.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

That cross was much much bigger than anyone thought.... obviously. I hope it will be replaced... repeatedly if necessary.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  111
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/07/1951

The thing about this kind of non-believer is how much they need to feel important. I listen to them and think, "What are they saying? What backs up their claims? Why do they become so angry when confronted by Faith?" I really believe it's their way of saying "Look at me! Pay attention to me!" I'm shocked and angry that they would stoop so low as to actually steal the cross, but then I think of how Jesus might deal with the situation. And I think He might say that our Faith and love for God goes beyond that cross, and that we should pray for those people that they'll see their sin and make it right. Those theives have insured that that cross will be in our memories even if it isn't in its place.