• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  344
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/20/1982

I have been reading many essays which say that Jeremiah 10 indicates that we are not to have Christmas trees. And, of course there are also many essays online of the opposing opinion, that there is nothing wrong with them. I myself to not set one up, but for entirely different reasons. Anyone have any opinions?

In Christ

Truseek

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,229
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I am not really sure that these are christmas trees. In a long search many many years ago, somewhere I got the idea that these things talked about here are not christmas trees but trees that were cut down and formed into wooden gods and then covered with silve and gold.

Don't remember where I got the idea, but that is what sticks in my memory. It started with a discussion with a friend who was very into Herbert Armstrong.

I still don't like christmas trees for they stem from early babylonian worship dealing with Nimrod, but I don't think the scripture in Jeremiah are dealing with this. Could be just not remembering right..... see what others say also.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  3,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  05/16/1962

My response is very similar to other one's answer.

In the days of Jeremiah, trees became objects of worship. And that was a sin against God.

I don't know about you, but I don't worship my Christmas tree. :rofl:

• Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Birthday:  09/27/1968

When I first got saved I was very concerned about stuff like this. I got saved in September of 2001 and when Halloween came around I was very convicted to throw away anything that resembled Halloween. I saw it as evil and didn't want it in my house.

When Christmas came around I asked God if He wanted me to throw the Christmas tree out? I felt like He asked me what it meant to me. Brought me to the passage where Paul said that he considered everything clean and that if others were concerned that meats had been offered to idols then they shouldn't eat them, but for him, it wasn't a problem.

He says that all things are allowed but not all things are edifying. So, what does it mean to you? If I grew up in a culture that worshipped trees or felt they were more than a tree then it might be a problem, fo me, Christmas has always been a celebration of Christ's birth, and the tree, though it may have pagan roots, means absolutely nothing more to me than a pretty decoration in my house, no different than the ferns I put on the porch every Spring.

Sometimes I think we get a little too "religious" and appear like freaks and that isn't any kind of witness.

Blessings

Guest sinner2saint
When I first got saved I was very concerned about stuff like this. I got saved in September of 2001 and when Halloween came around I was very convicted to throw away anything that resembled Halloween. I saw it as evil and didn't want it in my house.

When Christmas came around I asked God if He wanted me to throw the Christmas tree out? I felt like He asked me what it meant to me. Brought me to the passage where Paul said that he considered everything clean and that if others were concerned that meats had been offered to idols then they shouldn't eat them, but for him, it wasn't a problem.

He says that all things are allowed but not all things are edifying. So, what does it mean to you? If I grew up in a culture that worshipped trees or felt they were more than a tree then it might be a problem, fo me, Christmas has always been a celebration of Christ's birth, and the tree, though it may have pagan roots, means absolutely nothing more to me than a pretty decoration in my house, no different than the ferns I put on the porch every Spring.

Sometimes I think we get a little too "religious" and appear like freaks and that isn't any kind of witness.

Blessings

Yeah, I agree completely.

As long as you don't lose focus on the true meaning of Christmas, I see nothing wrong with having a tree.

(and besides, they smell so good) (he he) :rofl:

• Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

When I first got saved I was very concerned about stuff like this.  I got saved in September of 2001 and when Halloween came around I was very convicted to throw away anything that resembled Halloween.  I saw it as evil and didn't want it in my house.

When Christmas came around I asked God if He wanted me to throw the Christmas tree out?  I felt like He asked me what it meant to me.  Brought me to the passage where Paul said that he considered everything clean and that if others were concerned that meats had been offered to idols then they shouldn't eat them, but for him, it wasn't a problem.

He says that all things are allowed but not all things are edifying.  So, what does it mean to you?  If I grew up in a culture that worshipped trees or felt they were more than a tree then it might be a problem, fo me, Christmas has always been a celebration of Christ's birth, and the tree, though it may have pagan roots, means absolutely nothing more to me than a pretty decoration in my house, no different than the ferns I put on the porch every Spring.

Blessings

Yeah, I agree completely.

As long as you don't lose focus on the true meaning of Christmas, I see nothing wrong with having a tree.

(and besides, they smell so good) (he he) :huh:

That's the way I feel as well. I went through the "legalistic" period of wondering if I were wrong in doing Christmas, but after prayer and study, I don't find a thing wrong with it. Think about it. What was Christ hung on? A tree! His death gave us everlasting life, hence the choice of an evergreen tree (even if fake, LOL!). Doesn't Heaven have uncomparable beauty? The pretty decorations on the tree! Didn't Christ give us an immeasurable gift? The gift giving! Didn't God give Elvis a great voice? Therefore, the Elvis Christmas CD! :huh: I also do Santa Claus for the kids-heck, I grew up hearing about Santa and I turned out okay! (I think!) :oww:

• Topic Count:  303
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  698
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  01/05/1946

The idea of the christmas tree comes from pagan rituals. In fact, the whole idea of Christmas started with pagans.

It doesn't say in the Bible that we should celebrate Christmas.

Celebrating Jesus Birthday is one thing and Christmas is a whole different thing.

In the long way, Men and Women serve themselves more on this day.

The mount of money spend in families could feed the poor all over the USA for a good year or two.

Then if you have to celebrate Christmas match the amount you spend on your family, so the poor people will be part of your Christmas too.

Snowdoove

p.s. There are many web sites on the origins of Christmas and Easter.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  344
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  01/20/1982

Thanks for the input guys. I think thast Christmas trees are ok scripturally. One question that your points raised in my mind, thous is this (I will start another thread for this one): What constitutes worship?

In Christ

Truseek