• Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

NYC Cabdriver Stabbed After Telling Passenger He Was Muslim, Police Say

By Joshua Rhett Miller

Published August 25, 2010

FoxNews.com

A New York City cabdriver is hospitalized in stable condition after being stabbed by a passenger who allegedly asked him if he was Muslim, police said.

Michael Enright, 21, of Brewster, N.Y., faces charges of attempted murder as a hate crime, first-degree assault, aggravated harassment and criminal possession of a weapon in the attack, NYPD sources told FoxNews.com.

Enright allegedly hailed a cab in Manhattan at about 6:15 p.m. on Tuesday and, once inside the vehicle, asked Ahmed Sharif, 43, if he was a Muslim. When Sharif confirmed that he was, Enright brandished a knife and slashed him in the throat, arm and lip, police said. Enright is believed to have been heavily intoxicated at the time, sources said.

<snip>

According to Sharif's statement, Enright was friendly when he entered the cab, asking where Sharif was from, how long he had been in America, if he was Muslim and if he was planning to fast during Ramadan.

Then, after yelling "Assalami Alakium, consider this a checkpoint," according to the driver's statement, Enright slashed Sharif across the neck.

Read full article here

What does "Assalami Alakium" mean?

:huh:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

It appears to mean; "May the Peace and Mercy of Allah be with you." :blink:

That's really strange.

However, I contend that this is exactly what the planners of the Mosque wanted to happen and will be used by the Left to fuel the fires of contention that are currently dividing the Nation. :o

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

Regardless of the mosque controversy, or how one feels toward islam, there is no justification for something like this. This cab driver is just a man working to support a family, he doesn't make decisions about mosques or whatever. Praying for muslims is the way to change them; stabbing them probably won't help.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,961
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  0

It was/is a terrible tragedy. It shouldn't of happened.

I agree with Matthitjah, it is strange that a anti-muslim would spew "May the Peace and Mercy of Allah be with you"

It will be interesting to see how this pans out. I hope they catch him quickly.

Speaking of "compassion" I sure didn't hear much of that when this thread was posted

Its just as tragic to have our christian bretheren murdered, but we don't seem to hear much or comment much on that topic.

That's really strange.

However, I contend that this is exactly what the planners of the Mosque wanted to happen and will be used by the Left to fuel the fires of contention that are currently dividing the Nation. :o

Your compassion is overwhelming.

Ny first reaction after reading this response was "Unbelievable." Then I considered everything I have read on here and all the hate rhetoric I hear on TV. I then realized that there was no reason for me to be surprised at all.

How is my statement uncompassionate? Please explain. I'm open for correction. :thumbsup:

I didn't say the man deserved to have his throat slit nor did I condone the actions of the man who did it. He's a nut for sure.

The Mosque planners and this Imam are surely terrorists in the first degree though. :thumbsup: This is exactly what they wanted to happen. Divide the Nation further and you fell right into their trap. :blink:

Guest shiloh357

That's really strange.

Ny first reaction after reading this response was "Unbelievable." Then I considered everything I have read on here and all the hate rhetoric I hear on TV. I then realized that there was no reason for me to be surprised at all.

Yet we have a proposed mosque that has been named "Cordova House" in honor of the slaughter of Spanish Christians, a radical Imam, who basically says we deserved 9/11, and will not denounce Hamas as a terrorist organization and has been recorded as using the "n" word, but all of that makes you no nevermind.

Actually, the "hate" rheotric is pretty much leveled at anyone who has the courage to say the mosque should be moved. I have never heard anyone claim that the mosque should not be built, nor have those who oppose the mosque location generally engaged in any anti-Muslim hate speech that I have seen.

The murderous actions of one lone person acting on his own cannot be laid at the feet of everyone who opposes the mosque. At least that is the standard that we are supposed to apply when a Muslim murders American civilians. Strange how that standard seems to have flown out the window...

By the way Katy Ann. Someone on this very Board has already demagogued the issue and laid this incident at the feet of those who oppose the Mosque. :whistling: Wait until tomorrow's Leftist blogs and the leftist News media get ahold of it. :blink:

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76

That's really strange.

I saw/read shock in his reaction.

What do you think my reaction was? Why do you think I posted this?

The kid looks like a computer geek! That isn't your stereotypical murder suspect.

Think KatyAnn! The whole situation stinks of something beyond angst.

Your response comes across as your own bias clouding your judgment.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

That's really strange.

How is my statement uncompassionate? Please explain. I'm open for correction. :thumbsup:

I didn't say the man deserved to have his throat slit nor did I condone the actions of the man who did it. He's a nut for sure.

The Mosque planners and this Imam are surely terrorists in the first degree though. :thumbsup: This is exactly what they wanted to happen. Divide the Nation further and you fell right into their trap. :blink:

Are you saying the pro-mosque people are behind this incident or that they were hoping for something like this to happen? I agree though; it will be used to show Christians as intolerant and violent. Even though there's no indication this attacker acted out of religious conviction or is even a Christian. Just coming home from Afghanistan, he may just hate muslims because he met them up close and personal and...he's CRAZY!

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76

That's really strange.

Followed by, "This is your checkpoint."

My first thought was gang initiation (a lot of gangs require you to commit a crime for initiation, and sometimes murder is one of them).

But thinking "geek" got me thinking of something else.

I did a google search for "this is your checkpoint" and I found the "Prince of Persia" game.

At the very bottom, it says:

Side jump to the narrow part of the opposite ledge and go right. Run up to the Dagger plaque. Wall run left and jump to the bar. Swing/jump to the narrow beam in front of you and side jump left to the higher level. Smash all jars there that contain Sand. From one of the sides you can look down to a heavily guarded Sand Gate. This is your Checkpoint.

In previous descriptions, it speaks of using your dagger.

Don't know if I'm the right trail or not. But that's interesting.