• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

My brother (biological brother), said something about touching Jesus at our leaders meeting last night. And it led me to think.....

I have attended churches where the term "press in," presumably to Jesus, is used often.

It makes me uncomfortable.

Heres why....

Mar 5:24 And Jesus went with him; and much people followed him, and thronged him.

Mar 5:25 And a certain woman, which had an issue of blood twelve years,

Mar 5:26 And had suffered many things of many physicians, and had spent all that she had, and was nothing bettered, but rather grew worse,

Mar 5:27 When she had heard of Jesus, came in the press behind, and touched his garment.

Mar 5:28 For she said, If I may touch but his clothes, I shall be whole.

Mar 5:29 And straightway the fountain of her blood was dried up; and she felt in her body that she was healed of that plague.

Mar 5:30 And Jesus, immediately knowing in himself that virtue had gone out of him, turned him about in the press, and said, Who touched my clothes?

Mar 5:31 And his disciples said unto him, Thou seest the multitude thronging thee, and sayest thou, Who touched me?

Mar 5:32 And he looked round about to see her that had done this thing.

Mar 5:33 But the woman fearing and trembling, knowing what was done in her, came and fell down before him, and told him all the truth.

Mar 5:34 And he said unto her, Daughter, thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace, and be whole of thy plague.

The people crowded Jesus, "pressed in".

But only one touched Him.

In churches today there are many that crowd around Jesus, "press in".

How many in faith actually reach out and touch?

I don't like the term.......

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

Pressed in is also sometimes a term used for drawing near to Him, Drawing deeper in His presence,

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,901
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  29

Pressed in is also sometimes a term used for drawing near to Him, Drawing deeper in His presence,

I agree, there has been times at church where I have been discouraged about some things. Not being able to focus and the term.."press in" will be said a few times during service. Its usually doing worship where the Spirit of God is so great and the atmosphere is so charged that you feel as if being consumed by Him. Yet..the mind set that I am in at that moment is separating me from receiving a word, deliverance or whatever God is trying to do for me. During those moment through the moving of the Holy Ghost, someone will approach me, lay hands and encouraging me to "press in." They will remain with me, helping me to break free and birth what was meant to be.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  426
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,633
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  08/26/1978

I think when the term is used, It means more of the women pressing through the throng to touch him, not just crowd. I see it more of a pushing through obstacles to get to Him, not letting anyone/thing stand in your way!

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

I cannot really understand why you don't like that term mate, especially as I presume it is meant as an encouragement and provocation to be involved and actively seeking G-d, rather than passively going along for the ride and remaining on the outside looking in. Maybe it is just the association with the Scripture you posted, but IMO you shouldn't let that bug you too much if you understand the motivation behind the expression.

My pet peeve (while we are on the subject of peeves) is when 'leaders' introduce the term 'going to the next level'...or there is a song that says..."Going higher to the next level..." which does not sit right with me.

My trivial 2 cents!

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I cannot really understand why you don't like that term mate, especially as I presume it is meant as an encouragement and provocation to be involved and actively seeking G-d, rather than passively going along for the ride and remaining on the outside looking in. Maybe it is just the association with the Scripture you posted, but IMO you shouldn't let that bug you too much if you understand the motivation behind the expression.

My pet peeve (while we are on the subject of peeves) is when 'leaders' introduce the term 'going to the next level'...or there is a song that says..."Going higher to the next level..." which does not sit right with me.

My trivial 2 cents!

:thumbsup:

I guess it is in churches that I have been in where it is used with "gay abondon". Having coffee? Bit of a crowd around the table? And someone says "press in brother, press in". That sort of thing. It sounds trite to me when used in the context of fellowship for instance.

And don't get me started on pet peeves like "going to the next level", or "lets put that in the parking lot for a while"... etc. :whistling:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  473
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

"Press In" is meant to encourage you. To me, there are numerous Biblical applications such as II Kings 13:18 when the king hit the ground 3 times and the man of God had wanted him to strike the ground with the arrow of the Lord's deliverance 6 or 7 times.