• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,072
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/27/1948

I am in a support group on the internet for Parkinson's Disease and there has been a longstanding discussion on Christianity. Several members have brought up the objection that "religion" has caused many wars and conflicts. I wondered if anyone has any good answers to this, or, if it has already been discussed in here could you please direct me to the right thread?

I seem to be the only Christian entering the argument and I am feeling a bit under pressure! :blink:

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,166
  • Content Per Day:  0.45

blessings sister,

yes there have been many wars in the name of various religions throughout the ages. there have also been various "undeclared wars" against people in their own countries and other countries as well. once heard the statistics for just the deaths stalin was responsible for against his own people which superceded the "crusade" deaths in a big way. there are and have been tribal wars/ territory/political wars just as blood letting.

i would tell them that wars will continue and that peace will not truly be established on earth until after the seven years of tribulation has occured and the Lord has returned to reign and rule in His Righteousness and power for a thousand years when God creates a new heaven and earth.

love your sister in Christ,

Rebekah David

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

They are correct. Religion is man trying to reach God through their own understanding and because of this, they fall short of being real Christ centered believers. There is no reason to defend religion, but do defend our relationship with God. Remind your group of the difference between the two and show them that true Christ centered believers bear the fruit of the Holy Spirit. To show them scripture describing the two, read them Galatians 5:16-26 (New King James Version)

Walking in the Spirit

I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. And those who are Christ

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  542
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  33,035
  • Content Per Day:  5.05
  • Days Won:  236
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

Does religion cause wars ???

NO

Man causes war by trying to force others to believe what they want them to believe :whistling:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,072
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  02/27/1948

Thanks for the answers. I HAVE been emphasising the difference between being "religious" and being a follower of Christ but there are certainly some extra points there in your posts I can use!

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Religion is just one of the many excuses men use to fight each other.

If you dig deep, the real issue is about power, not religion. Religion is more often than not a mask.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you dig deep, the real issue is about power, not religion. Religion is more often than not a mask.

Exactly! That is the result of the flesh ... idolatry, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, and revelries. What better way to white-wash the desires of the flesh then to hide behind the label of religion!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Exactly! That is the result of the flesh ... idolatry, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, and revelries. What better way to white-wash the desires of the flesh then to hide behind the label of religion!

Brother, some time back you posted some figures for me on Chistianity and war. Don't know if you can remember, but I can't find the post, despite going through all my content.

It might be interesting to post the figures here again?

Blessings

• Thumbs Up 1

Brother, some time back you posted some figures for me on Chistianity and war. Don't know if you can remember, but I can't find the post, despite going through all my content.

Blessings

Oh My! Let's see if I can find them, or even remember where I put them! :taped:

Care to give me a hint to how long ago this was? :24:

Edited to add ...

My posts only go back to Jan 19th of this year. I can not look any further back. If it was before then, we are out of luck. I have to rebuild my system and lost a lot of my studies. I will continue to search in case I have it written somewhere.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Blessings

Oh My! Let's see if I can find them, or even remember where I put them! :taped:

Care to give me a hint to how long ago this was? :24:

:laugh: My problem as well. Must be six months or so. I thought you may have saved them elsewhere.

• Thumbs Up 1