Guest Jason-P

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

EricH, excuse my ignorance but I can't agree, disagree, until I know what dynamic equivalence is :noidea: Care to elucidate? :thumbsup:

Sorry about that. Most translations go for a word for word translation of the Greek or Hebrew. They then just make it more readable in English since Greek and Hebrew word order is deifferent than English. Other traanslations don't worry about a word for word translation. They just go for the the general idea of the passage. That would be dynamic equivalence.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Thanks got it :thumbsup:

Guest Butero

I use the 1611 Edition King James Version for personal reading and study, and the Authorized King James Version when I post for clarity.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  630
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/09/1990

Depends on my mood

Right now I prefer 'lighter' versions (NIV, the Message, etc) because I'm a little out of the loop. When I study I use the KJV or NASB. But in the end, I like any version that isn't purposely twisted like the New Age version or the TNIV.

Edit: ESV all the way

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  326
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

I find the New Revised Standard Version is my favourite because it's the least sexist (as a general bible) that I've found so far and also the clearest and easiest to read. That combined with the Amplified to dig a little deeper if I'm unsure about a passage.

Beyond that I go to lexicons (greek/hebrew dictionaries.)

Guest Butero
I find the New Revised Standard Version is my favourite because it's the least sexist (as a general bible) that I've found so far and also the clearest and easiest to read. That combined with the Amplified to dig a little deeper if I'm unsure about a passage.

Beyond that I go to lexicons (greek/hebrew dictionaries.)

I am going to try very hard not to get into a KJV debate here, but I couldn't help but notice why you said you like the NRSV. You stated that it is because it is the "least sexist?" :24: Shouldn't the goal be to find a translation that is the most accurate, regardless of what it says? :24: In other words, if in the original manuscripts, the Word of God appears "sexist" by modern day standards, shouldn't we still follow it, since after all, it is still God's Word? :24: I am just puzzled by the response. One of my problems with all the translations today is how they can be tailor made to fit anyone's personal biases, so this really stood out to me.

By the way, you must not have heard of the TNIV, if you think the NRSV is the least sexist. The authors intentionally went back and changed all references to God as male to where he or she is neutral. They didn't do this for accuracy sake, but to cater to feminists. That is why this "translation" was widely attacked by those sincerely desiring the truth. The reason I am telling you about it anyway is because if your desire is to find a Bible that says what you want, one that is not "sexist," it exists. I won't have anything to do with it, but it is available at many "Christian" book stores. :amen:

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

I use King James version only.Using the other translations will cause doubt.One is different than the other.Using more than one, to me, would cause confusion.It would be like trying to learn American history from another country's book :emot-hug:

:emot-hug:

I agree 100% percent as I only use the KJV also. I can remember when the NIV first came out then the Living Bible came out and so forth but I like you when I saw the first translation come out I knew that it would only breed doubt and confusion and the devil has been a success in bringing doubt and confusion he is having a hay day. Peoples faith is literally being swayed back and forth on all the versions that have a copyright on them as all of the versons out there have to be different from all the others to get a copyright none of them can be the same that in itself speaks volums.

oc

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  09/24/1960

When I was first saved I went to this bible store in town and bought a King James. I read this for a while and then bought a NIV (New International Version). Eventually I couldn't read the KJV anymore, because I couldn't picture Jesus saying 'Verily, verily' as if He were playing a part in a Shakespearean play. And after a while whenever I read the NIV I would get slightly nausea, which I know sounds weird, but it felt like I was reading something very watered down. One day I asked the Lord to direct me to a proper version of His Word and that led me to discover the New King James version (NKJV). I still have this bible today and it has been an immense blessing in my reading and studying of God's Word.

Thanks, Lord.

Edited by write2witness

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  630
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  03/09/1990

In other words, if in the original manuscripts, the Word of God appears "sexist" by modern day standards, shouldn't we still follow it, since after all, it is still God's Word?

Very important thing to remember when you walk in to the Baskin Robins of Bible translations.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  168
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

I like the ESV and NASB, personally. I also have a bible that is in its original Greek that I use to understand more fully the word of God. I have an NIV (of which I'm not too fond), a KJV, NKJV, and NLT.