• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Sigh.

The question isn't to discuss or debate whether things displayed in individual churches is godly or not.

Encouraging a song writer to write new songs in worship in church is not an endorsement of off-the-wall stuff.

So please stop arguing something I wasn't asking.

Thank-you.

• Group:  Royal Member

I really do like the old songs, but then I grew up with them. I love music, and enjoy and like allot of the newer songs, ...but.....I still cannot appreciate a worship service that sounds like a rock concert, but that's just me.

I think in the end it all boils down to sincerity.

In a church I used to attend was a fellow who was born with a bit of a challenge...he loves to sing...but it sounds like he is yelling the words.....no one questions his sincerity and we all just accepted his version of vocal praise.

I guess the same would apply to drum beating or that very annoying guitar music as long as it was offered up with sincerity...even so....it really hurts my ears....so I'll leave it for other folks...stick with the stuff I can understand and sing along with.

Now Neb the question in return do we leave this one behind to follow our desires of worship? Love Steven

You, too, are not answering the question.

Put it this way - if you are in a conversation with someone who you find out is a drummer, and in the conversation he mentions desiring to worship the Lord through his drumming in church. Do you support him or tell him he can't? (The who style of music and volume is a separate question and not something I intend to promote.)

Simply do you believe this man can play his drum in worship in church?

Yes or no?

Period.

(I won't push anything beyond this. Please do the same)

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,782
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  1

I can lovingly sing both the old & the new with some asterisks such: (1) If I can't hear or understand the words being sung, it fails to register; (2) Constant repetition - with emphasis on constant as tho those are all the words known by the songwriter - in singing His praises isn't exactly my cup of expresso; (3) My ongoing problem is not with those worshippers who gladly sing both old & new - bless you all - but with those 'worship leaders' who choose ONLY the new songs without regard for time-tested songs; (4) And re the precious seniors in congregations, must all singing demand long standing without exception?

I really do like the old songs, but then I grew up with them. I love music, and enjoy and like allot of the newer songs, ...but.....I still cannot appreciate a worship service that sounds like a rock concert, but that's just me.

In a church I used to attend was a fellow who was born with a bit of a challenge...he loves to sing...but it sounds like he is yelling the words.....no one questions his sincerity and we all just accepted his version of vocal praise.

I guess the same would apply to drum beating or that very annoying guitar music as long as it was offered up with sincerity...even so....it really hurts my ears....so I'll leave it for other folks...stick with the stuff I can understand and sing along with.

Now Neb the question in return do we leave this one behind to follow our desires of worship? Love Steven

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.21
  • Days Won:  115

I was considering this, and wondering -

I know there are several here who believe that worship in church should be hymns only and no modern instruments (or at least this is the impression I get; please clarify if incorrect).

For you all, I have some questions.

If a drummer or bass guitarist wishes to play his instrument in worship to the Lord, how would you suggest he do so?

May he worship the Lord through his instrument? May he do so in church?

A Christian musicians allowed to write new songs of worship? If not, why not?

If so, may they lead the congregation in these new songs? If not, why not?

Here are my thoughts about what I like or dislike about certain ways others worship God ...

Who am I to determine what others do to worship the Lord? Who am I to determine the heart of another?

If someone writes a song to the Lord, that is between that person and God. If I don't like it, so what? I can ignore the service where the music is playing or wait until the music is over to enter the church. What matters most is what do I do to worship the Lord, not what another does. It seems lately that many discuss what others are doing and not what "I" am doing. From what I read, I am instructed to examine myself, not others.

Because of my background, I enjoy the quiet worship services. One that is more inner then outer, but that is me. When I was in the world, I use to go to many parties, concerts and bars where the music was loud and the people doing whatever they liked. Some services remind me of these times, so I choose to ignore them for this reason. I will never say it is wrong, because I can not be their judge on this matter. Only God knows if they are worshiping Him or if it is just a show. I back off from even trying to make any personal decision about anothers worship practices.

I can lovingly sing both the old & the new with some asterisks such: (1) If I can't hear or understand the words being sung, it fails to register; (2) Constant repetition - with emphasis on constant as tho those are all the words known by the songwriter - in singing His praises isn't exactly my cup of expresso; (3) My ongoing problem is not with those worshippers who gladly sing both old & new - bless you all - but with those 'worship leaders' who choose ONLY the new songs without regard for time-tested songs; (4) And re the precious seniors in congregations, must all singing demand long standing without exception?

Would you please just answer the questions???!?!!!!!

I know there are several here who believe that worship in church should be hymns only and no modern instruments (or at least this is the impression I get; please clarify if incorrect).

If a drummer or bass guitarist wishes to play his instrument in worship to the Lord, how would you suggest he do so?

Here are my thoughts about what I like or dislike about certain ways others worship God ...

Who am I to determine what others do to worship the Lord? Who am I to determine the heart of another?

If someone writes a song to the Lord, that is between that person and God. If I don't like it, so what? I can ignore the service where the music is playing or wait until the music is over to enter the church. What matters most is what do I do to worship the Lord, not what another does. It seems lately that many discuss what others are doing and not what "I" am doing. From what I read, I am instructed to examine myself, not others.

Because of my background, I enjoy the quiet worship services. One that is more inner then outer, but that is me. When I was in the world, I use to go to many parties, concerts and bars where the music was loud and the people doing whatever they liked. Some services remind me of these times, so I choose to ignore them for this reason. I will never say it is wrong, because I can not be their judge on this matter. Only God knows if they are worshiping Him or if it is just a show. I back off from even trying to make any personal decision about anothers worship practices.

So would that be a yes? They can play their instruments in worship?

And yes songwriters can sing new songs of worship to be sung in church?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  41,438
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Put it this way - if you are in a conversation with someone who you find out is a drummer, and in the conversation he mentions desiring to worship the Lord through his drumming in church. Do you support him or tell him he can't? (The who style of music and volume is a separate question and not something I intend to promote.)

Yes or no?

Period.

I tried to answer... I am sorry it did not!

Neb did you not read what I wrote? (every instrument)

The music is purposed to display the delight of the Word...

Slow down just a little and enjoy the things God brings into your life! Love Steven

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.21
  • Days Won:  115

So would that be a yes? They can play their instruments in worship?

And yes songwriters can sing new songs of worship to be sung in church?

You are correct. If they are moved to write a song to the Lord, who am I to tell them they can't? That doesn't mean I will like it or ever listen to it, but why should that matter? They are not writing it to me. As each of us are different in many ways, so are the ways the Lord touches and changes our lives. How the Lord brought me closer to Him is not the same way He brought everyone else closer to Him. It is so wonderful how He knows each of us as individuals and loves us where we are.

If the question is designed in a way to mean how the worship draws people to God, it is not the music that does this, but the Holy Spirit. The music is just a tool. Like all tools, some fit and others don't for any particular problem.

Yes or no?

Period.

My answer is yes. And a sax too. In conjunction with all the worshippers.

Yes or no?

Period.