• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,345
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1961

Steven I wont try to convince a man already fully convinced.

I believe that the Holy Spirit is speaking about continual, willful sin. We all sin and fall short. We just confess our sin and repent from it, with the help of the Holy Spirit.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  283
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/01/1983

Everyone who resides in him does not sin; everyone who sins has neither seen him nor known him. -1 John 3:6

The one who practices sin is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was revealed: to destroy the works of the devil. -1 John 3:8

I thought we all fall short? How can we not sin? He Who says he has no sin decieves himself Right? I'm not understanding this verse and the ones before and after it.

Hi Shalhevet, one of the first things one needs to remember is that the Apostle John was writing this epistle of I John to correct the false teaching of the gnostics. The gnostics had two great false teaching one was that the spirit of a man could not sin. So John deals with this in I John 1:7-10. The second false teaching was that the physical body could be involve in all sorts of sin and it would not matter because it did not involve one's spirit this is what the Apostle John was speaking of in I John 3:6-8. He was not saying a Christian will never sin, but rather a Christian should not continue living a sinful life which gnostic where so falsely teaching was okay because your body was sinful but not your spirit.

But I believe John was also truely trying to convey to the Christians that the New Commandment that Jesus gave us was to love God and our neighbour (Matthew 22:37-40; John 15:12; I John 4:7-8; 20). For just shortly after John wrote these verses we read:

10) In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

11) For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.

12) Not as Cain, who was of that wicked one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother were righteous.

13) Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you.

14) We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.

15) Whosoever hateh his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.

16) Hereby perceive we the love of God, because He laid down His life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.

17) But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?

18) My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth."

I John 3:10-18

We see that Cain slew his brother because he was evil, but Abel was righteous , v.12. For we are righteous in Christ Jesus (I Corinthians 1:29-31; II Corinthians 5:21). But because we have this righteousness given by the Holy Spirit, we will love others. If you will notice how similiar I John 3:16-18 is to James 2:14-17. The righteousness that John is speaking of here is the Work of Faith that James speaks of, which as Pauls states is: LOVE

Galatians 5:6; 13-14

6) For in Jesus Christ neither circumsision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.

13) For, brethren, we have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

14) For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Just my opinion for whatever it is worth.

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  517
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

Everyone who resides in him does not sin; everyone who sins has neither seen him nor known him. -1 John 3:6

The one who practices sin is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was revealed: to destroy the works of the devil. -1 John 3:8

I thought we all fall short? How can we not sin? He Who says he has no sin decieves himself Right? I'm not understanding this verse and the ones before and after it.

I find this a most excellent question. It all depends on how we define sin. Remember sin begets sin. There are two great commandments, Love God with all your heart mind and soul and your neighbor as yourself. If one breaks either of these commandments it is sin. Now to Love God with all your heart mind and soul is easy if you esteem Him as Love itself, but when you think love is a choice we make or a product of our volition you demean God and make what is His glory, your vanity. This sin is great for you will cease to value Love appropriately and you will lose love. Without love one cannot help but sin. The second commandment is a law of reasoning, for whenever you do to others what you wouldn't want done to you, you are in hypocrisy and God wil visit upon you the same judgment you judge others by. So if we forgive others their sins, so are we forgiven ours and this is just. Following these two commandments but especially the first one will set you free from sin. Now, how do we love God adequately? See the love He displays on the cross and believe that is His love.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,188
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

I find this a most excellent question. It all depends on how we define sin. Remember sin begets sin. There are two great commandments, Love God with all your heart mind and soul and your neighbor as yourself. If one breaks either of these commandments it is sin. Now to Love God with all your heart mind and soul is easy if you esteem Him as Love itself, but when you think love is a choice we make or a product of our volition you demean God and make what is His glory, your vanity. This sin is great for you will cease to value Love appropriately and you will lose love. Without love one cannot help but sin. The second commandment is a law of reasoning, for whenever you do to others what you wouldn't want done to you, you are in hypocrisy and God wil visit upon you the same judgment you judge others by. So if we forgive others their sins, so are we forgiven ours and this is just. Following these two commandments but especially the first one will set you free from sin. Now, how do we love God adequately? See the love He displays on the cross and believe that is His love.

I recognize the truth within you... so if I may add, as not to detract from your build here, this freedom from sin is in the new person who disdains the flesh for its influence of non-redemption in its desires and in turn should drive our spirit into the Arms of The Loving Lord Jesus Christ Resurrected to Life Eternal and it is in that present acceptance that He (Christ) separates our sins from us as far as the east is from the west. Rom 7 - Ps. 103:12-18 . So if satan can take our eyes of this present state of being and cause us to focus on the flesh we are undone in our usefulness to Christ... May we all fight the good fight and keep our eyes fixed on the Source of our forgiveness in these growing cold days of love lost within sadness and horrors of vile sins all around... Love Steven

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,188
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Steven I wont try to convince a man already fully convinced.

Okay so now that you and I are fixed in our theological positions, let me throw one more thing in between us for thought...

It is the continuance of a broken spirit and contrite heart that God indicates till the end of time-

2 Kings 22:19

Ps 51:17

Ps 75:1

Ps 85:9

Ps 119:151

Ps 145:18

Ps 147:3

Isa 55:6

Isa 57:15

Isa 61:1

Isa 66:2

Ezek 36:26

Ezek 36:31

Luke 4:18

Our Lord has described His path as hard and few that find... for it is not the use of our feet but His that we walk upon it!

Love Steven

.... I have spoken with too many people that have sinful inclinations in their lives, that they do not overcome, particularly on the sexual side...mainly because they love their sin more than loving Jesus...despite their tears and circle of repent/sin/repent/sin etc...

One stops sinning in certain areas by hating the sin, taking G-ds side on it, doing what is right and being obedient to Him and asking for grace to live as an overcomer...but G-d is not going to wave a magic wand and stop you from sinning. (I don't think that was what you were saying, but I wanted to clarify it here)....it is all about walking in the Spirit, but for many Believers particularly in the West, there is a strong carnal side to their faith, and a happy go lucky approach to sin coupled with a laissez faire approach to a Holy G-d....we need to change.

1 Cor 15:33 Do not be deceived:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  517
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

name='enoob57' timestamp='1300365798' post='1659572']

I recognize the truth within you... so if I may add, as not to detract from your build here, this freedom from sin is in the new person who disdains the flesh for its influence of non-redemption in its desires and in turn should drive our spirit into the Arms of The Loving Lord Jesus Christ Resurrected to Life Eternal and it is in that present acceptance that He (Christ) separates our sins from us as far as the east is from the west. Rom 7 - Ps. 103:12-18 . So if satan can take our eyes of this present state of being and cause us to focus on the flesh we are undone in our usefulness to Christ... May we all fight the good fight and keep our eyes fixed on the Source of our forgiveness in these growing cold days of love lost within sadness and horrors of vile sins all around... Love Steven

Yes, I see what you're saying I do hope. The walk in Christ is sometimes a transition that takes awhile for some. The flesh doesn't die easily and faith is often weak. However the power of the Christ and the law of Christ is made strong where we are weak. Those who disdain their flesh, as you say, have in fact more capacity to forgive than those who experience little sin in their lives. Yes there is a new person created with a soft heart full of understanding and mercy.