IGNORED

Is the Eastern Cougar extinct?

nebula

God gave us the animals for food. That is what the Bible says anyway. As far as the big cats go. If they leave me alone, I will leave them alone. If they killed $8000 dollars worth of my dogs like they did my neighbors; the cat might be resting in the bottom of an un-marked grave in a secret location.

I see nothing wrong with that. ;)

I live in Minnesota. Animals are migrating here that are not native to the area. We have cougars that are moving into residential areas. There were no cougars in Minnesota 20 years ago. Something else that hasn't been seen before are coyotes or brush wolves. I live in the country and there's a pack of 10 to 15 that patrol the woods around my place. I see one I shoot it, it's as simple as that. They kill livestock, pets, and they'll even go after people.

The animals are moving for some reason. Perhaps it's all a part of what nature does, I don't know. I just think we should stop trying to fix everything and let nature deal with itself.

I have no problem with hunters. They serve their purpose.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,246
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Man, I know some progressive globalists that want to do just that (let nature take it course) however they don't consider us part of nature and are looking for ways of doing away with most of us.

Man, I know some progressive globalists that want to do just that (let nature take it course) however they don't consider us part of nature and are looking for ways of doing away with most of us.

I can take care of myself.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Human beings need to leave nature alone.

So, it's OK to tear down forests, fill in swamps, pollute rivers and kill off the animals -

But it is not OK to try to restore them?

:huh:

Yeah, that's exactly what I said isn't it? :bored-1:

OK, I was shooting from the hip. I apologize.

What bothers me is how everyone seems to be OK with doing away with the top predators and not caring what happens to the ecology as a result.

Yes environmental wackos take things to far, but really, do we not care what the Lord created and how He created it to operate?

Predatory wolves, cougars have been hunted and trapped to near extinction while the deer have been left to roam unchecked. Extending the season and bag limits for deer hunting would reduce their numbers, as would allowing hunters inside the national parks. This would not only save the government money, they would also make money.

And this isn't interfering with nature?

It's a solution to their overpopulation of deer in the area. It works.

Not as well as the predators would.

But it is clear from your arguments that you don't care, do you?

This argument below is presented by a hunter who also used to be a hunting guide (specifically referring to a park out west, but the principles are the same):

In the case of Rocky Mountain, native predators like wolves would seem to be the ideal tool for restoring ecological integrity. Human do not have the same ecological influence as native predators. Humans select healthier segments of the herd than native predators.

I would probably say the same thing if I thought some hunter was going to come in and take away my trophy buck. He's a hunter. They kill for sport. And when the "native predators" become a problem, they'll have something else to kill.

"Yeah, that's exactly what [he] said isn't it?" :bored-1:

I live in Minnesota. Animals are migrating here that are not native to the area. We have cougars that are moving into residential areas. There were no cougars in Minnesota 20 years ago. Something else that hasn't been seen before are coyotes or brush wolves. I live in the country and there's a pack of 10 to 15 that patrol the woods around my place. I see one I shoot it, it's as simple as that. They kill livestock, pets, and they'll even go after people.

The animals are moving for some reason. Perhaps it's all a part of what nature does, I don't know. I just think we should stop trying to fix everything and let nature deal with itself.

I have no problem with hunters. They serve their purpose.

I have no problem with hunters, either.

Coyotes moving east have been a problem for everyone. They are not native to this region and completely disrupting the ecosystems.

As for the migration of the cougars, I found this:

"A large body of verified evidence is accumulating that documents movement of wild cougars from west to east. Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Minnesota report cougars appearing where they haven't been seen in a century or more. Breeding populations in the Dakotas appear to be the likely source for these dispersing cougars, such as the juvenile male that left evidence across southeastern Wisconsin before killed in Chicago in April of 2008, and whose DNA was revealed to be consistent with genetic stock from the Black Hills."

http://www.easterncougar.org/pages/abouteasterncougars.htm - under the "History" tab.

But it is clear from your arguments that you don't care, do you?

It's not that I don't care, I just don't let it rent any space in my head.

It's not that I don't care, I just don't let it rent any space in my head.

Well, it rents enough space for you to argue about it.

:emot-questioned:

Guest Butero

Top predators are necessary for the health of the ecosystem.

This is one of the reasons the deer are over-populated.

And deer overpopulation not only weakens the deer, the deer kill the forest.

Go visit Catoctin Mountain Park some time. You'll see what I mean.

I live in town, and was going outside to put food down for the stray cats. I looked over at the road, and there were several large deer standing there, in the middle of this housing development. That was pretty wild, and it might show that there were too many deer around, but I would rather be surprised by a herd of deer in the road than a cougar on my roof. I say, leave well enough alone. If we need to thin the deer herd, I suggest making the hunting season longer.

If someone wants to get technical about it, I am messing with the ecosystem feeding stray cats. If I didn't feed them, they would be forced to hunt for all their food, and would succeed or starve. Mankind is part of the ecosystem. We need to be responsible, but I don't think it is necessary to try to right all past mistakes.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,246
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Top predators are necessary for the health of the ecosystem.

This is one of the reasons the deer are over-populated.

And deer overpopulation not only weakens the deer, the deer kill the forest.

Go visit Catoctin Mountain Park some time. You'll see what I mean.

sometimes they kill people around here....... and in the process tear up a lot of cars. It seems we loose about as many dear to car crashes throughout the year as hunters during hunting season.

State Farm estimates there are more than a million deer-car collisions nationwide each year. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety says 75 percent of fatal animal-car crashes involve deer.

"Deer are one of the most dangerous animals they claim for auto accidents," Williams said.

http://www.news9.com/Global/story.asp?S=13538419