• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I was listening to this week's edition of the radio program Down Gilead Lane.

The context behind this begins with one family going through a time of turmoil. Meanwhile one of the Morrison children (the family of which the series centers on) has been overworking herself in preparation for a special honor at school (to the point of being annoying to everyone else). But the day before her honor begins, she became very ill.

She pleads to the Lord to make her better because this honor means so much to her.

Two of her brothers, however, believe she's being punished (i.e. for the sin of pride).

Her parents, though, offer these words:

~~~~~~~

"God's the only one who knows your heart completely," in answer to whether her illness was punishment for sin.

"Sometimes God will send trials our way and put us through some pretty tough times because He's working on our insides."

When the daughter cries why it has to be now with something that means so much to her?

"That's what makes in a trial."

"God takes these times to shape us, to dig around inside us and make our character stronger and more beautiful, so that He can use us in bigger and more important ways than we can ever imagine.

"He doesn't put us through painful times for no reason."

~~~~~~~

Isn't that neat and well worded?

OK, I can imagine some of you coming up with your "buts" already.

But consider this, if you will. The writer of the episode refers to the book of Job. The trials he had to go through were horrible beyond description. But yet through the journey a new revelation of God was given, a deeper faith was harvested, humility was fashioned, and forgiveness was bestowed (remember Job was instructed to pray for his three condemning friends?).

As the episode guide mentions:

"Trials we encounter today may be sent from God to give us the ability to face what He has for us tomorrow!

So, next time you

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  393
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/05/1959

:thumbsup:

100% in agreement with you nebula

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.07
  • Days Won:  78

Great point! I hadn't heard of that show before but I'm going to check it out. I'm sure it's online. :)

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.94
  • Days Won:  14

And yet Satan is in control of this earth and for a Christian he must get permission to tested. However in this case as in so many we are our own enemies and we choose what on occasion befalls us. In this case she was at fault not God or Satan - she overworked herself and caused her own illness.

Great point! I hadn't heard of that show before but I'm going to check it out. I'm sure it's online. :)

Yes - I gave the link (embedded in the title of the program).

Unfortunately, you can only listen to this week's and last week's episodes (each new week, beginning Saturday I think?, this is the format). But if you need the back-story, PM me.

... However in this case as in so many we are our own enemies and we choose what on occasion befalls us. In this case she was at fault not God or Satan - she overworked herself and caused her own illness.

As I was listening to the episode, I at first was thinking this. But then I realized the message they were getting at.

Sure, overworking oneself can compromise one's immune system. But if they are never exposed to the virus, they won't get sick. (Of course, by the story, this girl is pretty much always like that. She wasn't losing sleep, she was just over-obsessing.)

But also consider, this is a made-up story. They could have changed any of the variables they wanted to and still have the same results.

And I believe the point is more important than analyzing what the writer(s) crafted, don't you think?

Likewise, on analysis, I was considering the trials the family friends were going through. This lesson could apply to them as well.

:emot-hug:

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.88
  • Days Won:  33

Bad things happen because Adam and Eve ate the fruit. Why do people so often want God to explain why He lets bad things happen, when rightfully the finger is pointed at us and our sin??? It's another of the 'that woman that YOU gave me' type scenarios. Just my two cents.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,858
  • Content Per Day:  8.05
  • Days Won:  77
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Anyone who has dealt with life honestly -by the power of God in truth- can say that all the bad is somehow diminished and all the good is still there so that we say

God has said all things work together for good and so it is! For me it is the depth of riches... for those good things were learned through really tough trials but now they are like solid

rocks of truth that keep me from wavering and cause others around to take notice! This then gives me opportunity to say from the heart -God can be trusted no matter what- for it is

the peace that passes all understanding when one sits down in their own heart and panics not but smiles knowing that which is not yet seen will in fact be seen "In His Good Time"...

To Our Loving Father this is praise unsurpassed to His Glory! Love Steven

Why do people so often want God to explain why He lets bad things happen,

Because we hurt.

Sorry you were offended, Candice. I just thought the way this explanation was worded was comforting and encouraging.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.88
  • Days Won:  33

Why do people so often want God to explain why He lets bad things happen,

Because we hurt.

Sorry you were offended, Candice. I just thought the way this explanation was worded was comforting and encouraging.

Sorry sis, I could have beefed out my explanation a bit more. I am not hurt nor offended (well I am hurt now and have been hurt before, and can sympathise with those who want an answer to this question, but I am not hurt / offended by you or this thread), I just do not need to ask the question "why" because I already know. Man sinned.