IGNORED

Is Mormonism Christian?

Guest Xan

Lanakila, I will not visit anti-cult websites because I feel they misrepresent groups and picture them in a negative light. I am well aware of the existence of such sites. I prefer a more non biased source such as this one.

I would also disagree on the 2 types of Christians statement.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  572
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

Hi Leviathon,

You said " will not visit anti-cult websites because I feel they misrepresent groups and picture them in a negative light."

As far as misrepresentation, I don't feel it is necessary (or advised) to purposely do this, in any case, or for any reason. However, is it really possible (or generally a good idea) to represent a perversion of the Gospel in a "positive" light?

"Being a Christian is a personal thing, not an organization or belief system."

While I agree that it is a personal decision (or commitment), I also would remind you that it is a very well-defined belief (that the LDS and others have chosen not to adhere to), and the "body of Christ" could be considered an "organization", being that Christ is the head.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  400
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

Levi, I would add that if you haven't visit the website I mention how would you know if the information is misrepresented. (You wouldn't) Jesus said in John 14:6 I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man comes to the Father but, by me. The scripture is exclusionary, those who try to make it to the Father through church membership, baptism, or even good works, will fall short.  I didn't say that and its not a private interpretation either. Jesus himself said this. In America there is a pluralistic view of religion and belief, that isn't so in most of the world. But, God isn't pluralistic in the way the website you sent me to is. God loves everyone and if there was a way to heaven without faith in Christ then as Paul said Christ is dead in vain, and our faith is vain, God forbid. Mankind has the power to believe whatever they want, but not the right morally. If this weren't so than why did God command that the Jews drive the pagan idol worshipers out of the promised land. It is morally wrong to believe in anything other than the God of Heaven and His Son Jesus and thats why God can and does send those who don't to ####. He loves mankind and is not willing that any should perish, but that all would come to repentence 2 Pet 3:9.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  154
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  04/12/1974

Lanakila said, "It is morally wrong to believe in anything other than the God of Heaven and His Son Jesus..." You should have added "according to me" or "according to the Bible". Morals and religious beliefs are generally based on our place of Birth. You mentioned "the rest of the world" not being pluralistic. A majority of the 'rest of the world' is not Christian either. It seems to me that Christianity is sometimes proud of it's "members only" status it seems to carry, and welcomes the chance to exclude someone or 'send them to ####' so to speak(sometimes). But remember, God makes that decision, and for anyone to presume they know the mind or will of God is indeed a dangerous thing. Each and every religion claims to know the 'truth'. How can we as mere Human beings make the presumption that we know anything of God's truth. If "with God all things are possible" then it's possible that every religion is right, every religion is wrong, or somewhere in between. In the end, God will know what's right and I put my faith in that, and I don't make myself the judge.

It's possible to put any religion into a "cult" status. By definition all religions fit. For this reason, we should measure a religion/cult by what it teaches in reference to the rest of mankind rather than the Web sites and articles taking the 'anti' position. These sites are almost always biased, and should not be trusted in my opinion.

Prime#

Mankind has the power to believe whatever they want, but not the right morally.

Jesus said in John 14:6 I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man comes to the Father but, by me.

Following your logic in light of Christ's statement I would then have to conclude that Judaism is a cult (since they teach Christ is not Messiah)and has no moral right to believe they are God's chosen or that Israel belongs to them and therefore they are going to all go to ####.

those who try to make it to the Father through church membership, baptism, or even good works, will fall short.

How do you know that these people haven't at some point of personal desperation, given their hearts to Jesus and received salvation? You don't. You cannot judge people's salvation solely by their association for as we all know, God many times works in mysterious ways. There is hope for all to be saved, they don't have to belong to the "right" church. God and Jesus are universal and they are not limited by denomination. I think Christians get way off track by attacking other groups instead of concentrating on witnessing and winning others. Frankly, it makes Christians look narrow minded and hateful, and in many cases it's true.

These sites are almost always biased, and should not be trusted in my opinion.

Amen Prime, you pinned the tail on the donkey there! :biggrin:

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I attended a "cult" for  about a year. I never offically became a member of the Bahi'a group but It was a positive experience...Most Bahi'a  come from a muslim/ eastern background who have rejected islamic fundamentalism in exchange for more universal views.

it was a very positive group of people in my opinion, and i witnessed alot of growth... they run a organzation to shelter refugee afgan/iranian widows (before sept.11). half of the members adopt orphans. and i see them at every human rights and "tolerance" themed events that comes our way........

but the reaction from by conservative  christian friends and family was complete speechless horror at the notion that i was in a "cult".

Of course, no one could tell me one specific thing Baha'i taught, but they concluded (maybe because of the pursian name?) that Baha'i must be satans own personal creation of deception, evil to the core...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  572
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

Well, I can certainly share some of the "spiritual truths" that are taught in the Baha'i cult. Here are 2;

They deny the deity of JESUS, and put him on a par with Buddha and Muhammad, classifying all three as "messengers of GOD".

They deny the authority of GOD's Word, preferring the teachings of Bah

• Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  400
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

Levi, I didn't say that Jews were in a cult. I wasn't even speaking of cults in my statement. Jews follow monotheism and worship the one true God although denying the Messiahship of Jesus Christ. I would not say they are part of a cult. Actually I was trying to get away from the cult statement and to the point that the only way to be saved is through Christ Jesus our Lord. He proved he was God by his resurrection from the dead. God's Word explains how to be born again--and the need for the same--clearly in the book of Romans. That many people ignore these passages of scripture and form their own doctrine (even religion) is common doesn't make it right. Jesus said I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man comes to the father but by me. Then he rose from the dead authenticating his authority to say that. Those who deny his diety can't be saved. That doesn't necessarily mean they are part of a cult. Some are some aren't. Mormonism is called a cult because as a whole its doctrines pervert the word of God (by adding to, taking away). Most of the members I would say are decieved into thinking its a "Christian" religion. I am not trying to be offensive in this just informative. Mormons aren't ok believing a lie and if we can convince a few that their doctrine is messed up and win them to Christ then, Praise God.

MrHumansoul,

I also would like to know where in the Bible that Jesus teaches many ways to heaven; I do find where He says:

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.(Jn.14:6)

irwin

Mormons aren't ok believing a lie and if we can convince a few that their doctrine is messed up and win them to Christ then, Praise God.

I can agree with that, some of their doctrines are a bit odd and maybe they don't teach true born again salvation, but that's no reason to call them a cult. That's a very damaging label and not one that should be used just because you don't like the groups beliefs. They may be misguided, but they aren't a cult. Actually, they are pretty well accepted as a ligitimate religion by most people. As always, it is the fundamentalist Christians who stir up damaging persecution. I may not agree with their doctrine, I may even think it's weird, but it's their beliefs and they are entitled to them. I understand where you are coming from with a born again Christian perspective and you are right, their doctrines are weird but I just think that labeling them and demonizing them is a hateful and destructive thing to do. They are not messengers of Satan, they are just people who are searching for truth in the Mormon church, and every church does have a level of truth in it. I would commend you though for trying to convince them to become born again, good going, fight the good fight, but please be kind doing it. Amen?